Author Topic: Obama warns France on Russia Mistral ship deal  (Read 410 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Obama warns France on Russia Mistral ship deal
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:17:40 am »
President Barack Obama has said he has told France of his concerns about the sale of two warships to Russia in the light of the crisis in Ukraine.

The first carrier is due for delivery this year in a 1.2bn euro (£1bn; $1.6bn) deal signed in 2011.

Mr Obama said while he recognised it was a big deal and important for French jobs, "I think it would have been preferable to press the pause button".

Paris says it will not halt the deal unless further EU sanctions are agreed.

A foreign ministry spokesman said a contract had been signed and had to be honoured.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is among some 18 international leaders taking part in D-Day landings commemorations in France, has said he expects Paris to go through with the warship deal.

"We're open, I would say even ready eventually, to signing new orders if our French partners wish to carry on this co-operation," he told French TV.

But President Francois Hollande has come under sustained pressure from European allies over the Mistral-class helicopter carriers which are set to be delivered to the Black Sea ports in Crimea, annexed by Russia in March.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27722256

Dear Obama. Your concerns are duly noted. Now sod off and go back to arming terrorists and drug cartels, there's a good little President.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink