Author Topic:  (Read 574 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:33:45 AM »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:17:52 PM »
Those folks need some preaching from Rev. Ted Haggard, Rev. Jim Bakker and/or Rev. Jim Swaggart.

I'll wager the trends in the US are similar to the trends in Canada, UK, Australia, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and most other developed nations since WWII etc.

I believe, like Milton Friedman, that personal and economic freedom go together. Since WWII much of the developed world has moved from the daily fear of hunger, to relative affluence. Think Maslow's Hierarchy.

Freedom, when obtained, is spent as one pleases. Whether you and your pastor like it, or not. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:29:27 PM »
There was a time -- up until, say, the early 1960's -- when The United States actually -was- "one nation", or something fairly close to that.

That time is no more.

The nation is breaking apart in front of our eyes, not only culturally, but racially and morally as well. What once were annoying gaps are growing into canyons that have become, for all practical (and moral) purposes, unbridgeable.

We are a "house dividing" against ourselves. There is little chance for re-unification. That would require the common bonds of culture and race -- and those are fast disappearing.

How much longer will the house of our Founders and fathers stand?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:31:06 PM by Fishrrman »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »
It were predicted in Friday, by R.A Heinlein in 1982. The Balkanization of North America into 5 or 6 separate countries. I know hes a sci fi author and, horror of horrors, a confirmed Libertarian, but he were also one VERY smart man.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
moving in together before you get married is bringing America down?  Puh-leeze.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »
I'll wager the trends in the US are similar to the trends in Canada, UK, Australia, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and most other developed nations since WWII etc.
Away from God and toward mammon. Once America was the last bastion of morality.

Now, no more.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
Away from God and toward mammon. Once America was the last bastion of morality.

Now, no more.

movement away from coerced obedience to a biased reading of religion is not of necessity a movement toward mammon.  would that islamists would start moving away from coerced obedience to a biased reading of religion.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
All you anti-Christian types will eat your words a lot sooner than you expect.

When a country's moral fiber implodes, the entire county is not far behind.

We are raising a generation of sociopaths who have been taught that there are no rules, no morals, and they can do anything they want.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »
All you anti-Christian types will eat your words a lot sooner than you expect.

When a country's moral fiber implodes, the entire county is not far behind.

We are raising a generation of sociopaths who have been taught that there are no rules, no morals, and they can do anything they want.

Whom are you characterizing as an "anti-Christian"?

Offline raml

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 12:44:31 AM »
I think he meant you Oceander you certainly sound that way to me too.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 02:28:46 AM »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 05:27:54 AM »
Not being a Christian is does not equal "Anti-Christian".  Except, of course to someone with the martyr mentality.  Why not just walk around in a perpetual pose of martyrdom.  Forearm dramatically lain acrossed the forehead, eyes rolled back into the head, lips pursed.
This America walking the plank to oblivion has been going since Plymouth Rock.  You want to get America back on track?  Put away the hocus pocus and focus on rebuilding an economy to put half a dollar back in a man's pocket.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
Not being a Christian is does not equal "Anti-Christian".  Except, of course to someone with the martyr mentality.  Why not just walk around in a perpetual pose of martyrdom.  Forearm dramatically lain acrossed the forehead, eyes rolled back into the head, lips pursed.
This America walking the plank to oblivion has been going since Plymouth Rock.  You want to get America back on track?  Put away the hocus pocus and focus on rebuilding an economy to put half a dollar back in a man's pocket.

HEAR, HEAR!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf