Author Topic: Graham warns of Republican impeachment push over Gitmo  (Read 931 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Graham warns of Republican impeachment push over Gitmo
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:51:30 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/208264-gop-senator-obama-faces-impeachment-push-if-more-prisoners-leave-gitmo

By Alexander Bolton - 06/04/14 01:46 PM EDT

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) warned Wednesday that Republican lawmakers would call for President Obama’s impeachment if he released more prisoners from Guantanamo Bay without congressional approval.

Republicans worry Obama may try to shut down the prison camp unilaterally after congressional opposition has repeatedly stymied efforts to pass legislation to close it.

“It’s going to be impossible for them to flow prisoners out of Gitmo now without a huge backlash,” Graham said. “There will be people on our side calling for his impeachment if he did that.”

Graham served as a House prosecutor during former President Clinton’s 1998 impeachment trial.

Congress tried to build in a safeguard against Obama making unilateral decisions on releasing terrorist detainees by including language in the National Defense Authorization Act requiring the administration to alert Congress of such moves at least 30 days in advance.

Obama did not follow that law when he swapped five senior Taliban commanders for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

Sen. Carl Levin (Mich.), the Democratic chairman of the Armed Services panel, said Obama had a plausible legal argument for ignoring the law.

“The White House did not comply with the requirement of the 30-day provision. However, the White House said it had power under Article II of the Constitution to do what it did,” Levin said. “I’m not a court that’s going to decide whether or not under Article II the commander in chief has the power to move this quickly even though Congress said you’ve got to give 30 days notice.”

Levin said Congress was notified that Obama might not follow the NDAA’s requirement in a signing statement attached to the law.

“The executive branch must have the flexibility, among other things, to act swiftly in conducting negotiations with foreign countries regarding the circumstances of detainee transfers,” Obama asserted in his Dec. 26 statement.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Tuesday applauded Obama’s decision to release five Taliban leaders because it would hasten the closure of the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.

“My own personal opinion, Guantanamo has been there far too long, and I think that we should get them out of there as quickly as we can,” he said.

Reid noted that Democrats have tried to pass legislation to close the prison camp and transfer the detainees to the United States to face criminal trials but have been “held up from doing so by Republicans.”

“So I'm glad to get of these five people, send them back to Qatar, and I think the arrangements made there are, as far as I understand, what's been explained to me, adequate,” he said the Taliban militants released over the weekend.

The former detainees must spend at least a year in Qatar, which helped mediate the exchange, under the terms of the deal.

Graham, a member of the Armed Services Committee who face a contested primary next week, said he has added language to the pending defense authorization bill that would require an up-or-down vote in Congress to approve the closure of Guantanamo.

The bill also includes a provision barring the administration from transferring detainees to Yemen, he noted.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Graham warns of Republican impeachment push over Gitmo
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:14:30 pm »
The former detainees must spend at least a year in Qatar, which helped mediate the exchange, under the terms of the deal.

I, for one, am really not sure why this gives anyone any comfort whatsoever.  First, how is Qatar going to ensure they stay put?  Will it keep them locked up for a year?  Second, suppose they split before the year is up; how is Qatar going to get them back, assuming that it would even bother trying to get them back?  Third, are they just going to completely lose their skills as terrorists and their desire to engage in terror attacks by sitting around in Qatar?  If not, then why would anyone not assume that on the day after the end of this year-long period they won't be back in the thick of things preparing more terror attacks?

Just how brain-dead do you have to be to believe this tripe?

Offline speekinout

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:19:41 pm »

I agree, Oceander, that this doesn't mean much about whether they will stay there for a year, but even if they do, it doesn't mean that they can't be directing terrorist operations from there. They can do a lot with the proper communications and equipment.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:20:03 pm »

Anyone interested in starting a pool on just how short that "year" will be?

I'll give it a month tops!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:22:01 pm »
Anyone interested in starting a pool on just how short that "year" will be?

I'll give it a month tops!

that's about right for a little R&R before they get back into the saddle.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 08:29:32 pm »
“My own personal opinion, Guantanamo has been there far too long, and I think that we should get them out of there as quickly as we can,” he said.

. . . .

“So I'm glad to get of these five people, send them back to Qatar, and I think the arrangements made there are, as far as I understand, what's been explained to me, adequate,” he said the Taliban militants released over the weekend.

Why, Harry?  What's the rush to get these killers into the hands of a government who will let them go--or more likely, give them the resources they need to do some more infidel killing?  These guys need to be locked up or dead.  Locked up in a US facility is preferable to handing them over to almost anyone else, much less a country which will almost certainly help them get back into the killing business.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
For crying out loud, you cannot successfully pull off any threat of impeachment and removal as long as the accused's co-conspirator is in charge of the Senate. Of course Graham knows this. He doesn't want to face a runoff, so he talks big hoping the morons of South Carolina will still vote for him. He just might get his wish anyway.

AVENGE BEVIN

VOTE BRIGHT
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:45:23 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:59:50 pm »
I'm thinking that Obama wants to be impeached because look how much it helped Clinton and the Democrats.

He knows the Senate won't convict and "Racist Republicans Impeach the First Black President" will be the headline for the next 2 years.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:12:44 pm »
I'm thinking that Obama wants to be impeached because look how much it helped Clinton and the Democrats.

He knows the Senate won't convict and "Racist Republicans Impeach the First Black President" will be the headline for the next 2 years.

Plenty of discussion about  possible political concerns. Not so much about PRINCIPLES.

Either we have them or we don't and if we are unwilling to stand up for them it becomes obvious that we don't!

And BTW, I think you might be surprised at the result if the republicans actually took a principled stand over something! Especially something like this!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:14:35 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:29:06 pm »
I do have a minor thought which will not go away.

Hillary is a shoe in for the Dem nomination. Slow Joe really wants the brass ring of the Presidency. If he's acting president, he'll be able to block Hillary and have the incumbent advantage.

Makes me wonder where some of these leaks are coming from.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 12:00:46 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/208264-gop-senator-obama-faces-impeachment-push-if-more-prisoners-leave-gitmo

By Alexander Bolton - 06/04/14 01:46 PM EDT

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) warned Wednesday that Republican lawmakers would call for President Obama’s impeachment if he released more prisoners from Guantanamo Bay without congressional approval.

Republicans worry Obama may try to shut down the prison camp unilaterally after congressional opposition has repeatedly stymied efforts to pass legislation to close it.

“It’s going to be impossible for them to flow prisoners out of Gitmo now without a huge backlash,” Graham said. “There will be people on our side calling for his impeachment if he did that.”

Graham served as a House prosecutor during former President Clinton’s 1998 impeachment trial.

Congress tried to build in a safeguard against Obama making unilateral decisions on releasing terrorist detainees by including language in the National Defense Authorization Act requiring the administration to alert Congress of such moves at least 30 days in advance.

Obama did not follow that law when he swapped five senior Taliban commanders for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

Sen. Carl Levin (Mich.), the Democratic chairman of the Armed Services panel, said Obama had a plausible legal argument for ignoring the law.

“The White House did not comply with the requirement of the 30-day provision. However, the White House said it had power under Article II of the Constitution to do what it did,” Levin said. “I’m not a court that’s going to decide whether or not under Article II the commander in chief has the power to move this quickly even though Congress said you’ve got to give 30 days notice.”

Levin said Congress was notified that Obama might not follow the NDAA’s requirement in a signing statement attached to the law.

“The executive branch must have the flexibility, among other things, to act swiftly in conducting negotiations with foreign countries regarding the circumstances of detainee transfers,” Obama asserted in his Dec. 26 statement.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Tuesday applauded Obama’s decision to release five Taliban leaders because it would hasten the closure of the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.

Reid noted that Democrats have tried to pass legislation to close the prison camp and transfer the detainees to the United States to face criminal trials but have been “held up from doing so by Republicans.”

Graham, a member of the Armed Services Committee who face a contested primary next week, said he has added language to the pending defense authorization bill that would require an up-or-down vote in Congress to approve the closure of Guantanamo.

The bill also includes a provision barring the administration from transferring detainees to Yemen, he noted.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »

If releasing GITMO prisoners without notifying congress is an impeachable offense, then he should be impeached now. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 12:58:10 pm »
If releasing GITMO prisoners without notifying congress is an impeachable offense, then he should be impeached now.

Republicans should have spent the last two years UNIFIED to mount a campaign of educating the public about what Obama and the Democrat party have been doing that is impeachable, immoral, irresponsible, traitorous, dishonest and self-serving.  This should have been shouted non-stop from the rooftops until everyone hears it and gets it.  Instead, I see a bunch of apathetic cowards.  The few who do try to do so are quickly brought down by their own party. 

How is it that we have such blatently bad leadership when things are at such a crisis that we need them now more than ever?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 01:07:58 pm »

IMHO what he did amounts to nothing less than TREASON!

Article 3 - The Judicial Branch
Section 3 - Treason

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline speekinout

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 11:49:00 pm »

The House can impeach, but it would go nowhere in the Senate. Why bother?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 12:16:43 am »
The House can impeach, but it would go nowhere in the Senate. Why bother?

Principle! Honoring your oath!

For starters!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:40:32 am »
Obama ignored chances to rescue Bergdahl on the ground because he WANTED a terror trade to help close down Guantanamo Bay, claim Pentagon sources
'The president wanted a diplomatic scenario that would establish a precedent for repatriating detainees from Gitmo,' a Pentagon official says
He described a conversation with a State Department liaison who said 'the president isn't going to leave office with Gitmo intact, and this was the best opportunity to see that through'
Obama has promised to close down the Guantanamo Bay detention camp since 2008 and tried to order it shuttered on his first day in office
The White House hurried its decision-making about retrieving Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, leaving intelligence officials too little time to assess how damaging it would be to release five Taliban leaders in exchange for him
Military commanders, meanwhile, were unwilling to mount a dangerous rescue operation to save a presumed U.S. Army deserter
The result, sources say, was the perfect storm as Obama aims to be rid of 'Gitmo' before he leaves office in 2017
By DAVID MARTOSKO, U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2648846/Pentagon-sources-Obama-ignored-two-chances-rescue-Bergdahl-ground-WANTED-terror-trade-help-close-Guantanamo-Bay.html#ixzz33oacSMNt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

TREASON!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien