Author Topic: Court-martial against Bergdahl could be complicated  (Read 523 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Court-martial against Bergdahl could be complicated
« on: June 04, 2014, 05:56:11 pm »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bowe-bergdahl-court-martial-over-afghan-conduct-could-be-complicated/

CBS NEWSJune 4, 2014, 12:55 PM
Court-martial against Bergdahl could be complicated

The outcry over Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's conduct in Afghanistan is getting louder.

A petition on the White House website calling for him to be court-martialed for walking away from his post in 2009 had up to 15,000 names on it Wednesday morning.

In Belgium, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Wednesday that it would be unfair to rush to judgment on Bergdahl, who spent nearly five years as a Taliban prisoner of war.

CBS News' Jan Crawford reports the Army is saying the priority right now is to get Bergdahl back to health before it formally investigates and, if necessary, disciplines him.

But there's growing pressure to punish Bergdahl, much of it from the soldiers who served with him and from families who say they lost their sons because of his actions.

"It appears that he defected, based on the evidence," said Reesa Doebbler, who says that after Bergdahl vanished the Taliban stepped up its attacks, which she believes led to the death of her son, Staff Sgt. Clayton Bowen.

"After he disappeared, they had more strikes against them, and they expected them to be looking for him, so I think it endangered the soldiers that were there," Doebbler said.

Doebbler wants Bergdahl punished for desertion, but a court-martial could be complicated.

Merely showing that Bergdahl left his post is not enough, according to former military prosecutor Eugene Fidell.

"Maybe he had a change of heart and the Taliban prevented him from returning the day after he defected," said Fidell. "We don't know."

Investigators will also want to know more about videos of Bergdahl taped by the Taliban and used as propaganda to make sure he wasn't aiding the enemy.

There is precedent for prosecuting former prisoners of war.

Charles Jenkins deserted his post in South Korea in 1965, only to be captured by the North Koreans.

In 2004, after they finally let him leave, Jenkins turned himself in to U.S. forces.

He was court-martialed and sentenced to 30 days confinement.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, suggested Tuesday that nothing was off the table: "Our Army's leaders will not look away from misconduct if it occurred."

Spc. Cody Full, who was in Bergdahl's platoon, said if Bergdahl escapes punishment it would send a dangerous message.

"Once you go to a combat zone, you're supposed to stay there and protect your brothers and be with your brothers and upheld your mission, and for whatever reason if you don't like what's going on you can just walk off and you won't get in trouble at all," Full said.

If Bergdahl was court-martialed and convicted Fidell said the maximum penalty would be five years in prison.

CBS News' Bigad Shaban reports the backlash is overshadowing plans to celebrate Bergdahl's return in his hometown of Hailey, Idaho.

The controversy has come as an unwelcome surprise to the mountain town, where the celebration over the 28-year-old soldier's release hasn't waned and neither have the calls suggesting he was deserter.

Heather Dawson is the city administrator of Hailey, where hundreds of angry calls and emails have been received at City Hall.

"Bergdahl is not a hero ... He should be executed," one caller said.

Dawson said, "Some of them said, 'Beware, be weary of what you're doing. Think through it carefully.'"

What they're doing is planning a celebration to honor Bergdahl and his family.

"We were so unprepared for the negativity," said Dayle Ohlau, a friend of the Bergdahls who is working on the June 28 event.

One email to City Hall threatened, "If your community decides to celebrate this deserter and ignore the known deaths caused by your deserter ... Idaho will suffer economically by having boycotts by military (wounded warriors) and tea party groups."

The backlash also extends to the soldier's father, Bob Bergdahl, who used social media to try and speak to his son's captors.

"I was so impressed by how he immersed himself in the culture, how he learned the language and spoke Pashto so that in some way, in some miraculous way, if he put those letters and conversations and interviews out there, somehow Bowe might get it," Ohlau said.

Last week, he apparently tweeted a message to a Taliban spokesman saying, "I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners. God will repay for the death of every Afghan child."

That tweet has since been deleted.

"I think he feels a real kinship with the people of Afghanistan and the kind of faith-based people they are, and I think that resonated with him," said Ohlau. "But being a Taliban sympathizer? No, I never got that from Bob."

Bob Bergdahl and his wife, Jani, remain in their secluded home in Hailey. A military spokesman assigned to them said they have no plans to speak publicly or address the mounting criticism facing them and their son.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Carling

Re: Court-martial against Bergdahl could be complicated
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:59:32 pm »
It doesn't matter if he "had a change of heart."  The second he left his post, he became a deserter.   :patriot:
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 06:08:17 pm »
It doesn't matter if he "had a change of heart."  The second he left his post, he became a deserter.   :patriot:
Exactly.....he did it.....done deal. hang him!  6 are dead because of it. How many more will die because of it?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 06:14:28 pm »
Obama knew just how to get his political opponents off the VA healthcare topic. He threw them this piece of red meat and they came running.

It looks like the right is licking its collective chops, thinking "yeah, we got him now."

And time after time, that has failed. Fast & furious, IRS, Benghazi, VA healthcare. "Lets do more hearings into this." Or better yet, lets impeach him for this.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Carling

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »
Obama knew just how to get his political opponents off the VA healthcare topic. He threw them this piece of red meat and they came running.

It looks like the right is licking its collective chops, thinking "yeah, we got him now."

And time after time, that has failed. Fast & furious, IRS, Benghazi, VA healthcare. "Lets do more hearings into this." Or better yet, lets impeach him for this.

This is much worse politically for Obama than the VA deaths.  Soon enough, the GOP will make the case that the WH is defending a deserter, while at the same time letting vets die solely to hit federal bonus dollars.  This resonates to a level I can't say I've seen from the current military.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:28:44 pm »
I detest the entire topic.

And that I have to enter a separate category to read the latest time somebody passes gas....I hate it even more.

So totally pissed off in general, because THIS IS A DISTRACTION.

Watch what his other hand is doing for chrissakes.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:32:48 pm »
I detest the entire topic.

And that I have to enter a separate category to read the latest time somebody passes gas....I hate it even more.

So totally pissed off in general, because THIS IS A DISTRACTION.

Watch what his other hand is doing for chrissakes.

Sure, this is a DISTRACTION!!  And I am concerned about WTH is going to come next to distract away from this DISTRACTION!!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 06:36:12 pm »
This is much worse politically for Obama than the VA deaths.  Soon enough, the GOP will make the case that the WH is defending a deserter, while at the same time letting vets die solely to hit federal bonus dollars.  This resonates to a level I can't say I've seen from the current military.
I sense the GOP will fail with this, just have they have failed to reach closure on other issues and topics.

In my opinion, this is not the winning case some think it might be. The guy may yet be held to account.

Jumping from pillar to post, leaves the public dizzy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln