Author Topic: Harry Reid on Taliban Swap: 'I'm Glad to Get Rid of These Five People'  (Read 527 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/06/03/harry-reid-taliban-swap-im-glad-get-rid-these-five-people

Harry Reid on Taliban Swap: 'I'm Glad to Get Rid of These Five People'

By: Guy Benson (TownHall)

I know, I know. You've been waiting with baited breath for America's sweetheart to weigh in on the Bergdahl/Taliban Five trade for days, wondering how he'd manage to defend the White House and blame the Koch brothers in one fell swoop. It appears that he decided to leave the Kochs out of it -- for now -- but if you were hoping for a tone deaf jaw-dropper, Gramps didn't disappoint:

Kara Rowland @kararowland
Follow
Senate Majority leader Reid on Bergdahl prisoner swap/release of Gitmo prisoners: "I'm glad to get rid of these five people."
1:45 PM - 3 Jun 2014

He is aware that we didn't liquidate these guys, right? We "got rid of" them by freeing them in a Middle Eastern nation whose support for radicals is well-established and whose reliability as a security partner is dodgy at best. As I wrote earlier, Qatar has already released them RoR, and US intelligence officers are wringing their hands in the press about what happens after the year-long travel ban is lifted. If you haven't already, read their bios. Even MSNBC's terrorism expert is quivering a bit:

Noah Rothman @NoahCRothman
Follow
"I think the global community and the U.S. should be worried." - MSNBC terrorism analyst on release of Taliban figures.
3:09 PM - 3 Jun 2014

But Harry's most pleased because these guys are finally out of our hair. No longer will we be responsible for their incarceration. We're worry free, and they're literally free -- to welcome visitors to their new digs and offer tips on deathcraft to anyone who's interested. A year from now, they may well be fully liberated to again take up old habits such as slaughtering fellow Muslims, training Al Qaeda, and wreaking havoc on the few residual US forces remaining in the country of origin. Good news all around. And about those thorny questions about the legality of this prisoner/hostage exchange (click through for the reasons the administration is re-casting Bergdahl as the former), the White House is "apologizing" to some members of Congress for failing to alert them to the deal in advance, as mandated by law:

The White House has apologized to Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) for failing to alert her in advance of a decision to release Taliban commanders from Guantanamo Bay. Feinstein told reporters that she received a call from Deputy National Security Adviser Tony Blinken on Monday evening apologizing for what the administration is calling an “oversight.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Really Harry?  Why don't you hop on a jet and go tell them that to their faces.  I'm sure they would welcome an old white infidel like you with open arms, and when they find out how devoted a Mormon you claim to be I am sure they will love you all the more.

:smokin:

Online Lando Lincoln

That's not "getting rid" of them. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
That's not "getting rid" of them.

Exactly.  Harry tries so hard to sound tough...but these five aren't a bunch of cow-punchers upset over grazing rights........

:smokin:

Offline R4 TrumPence

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Online Lando Lincoln

Among all these scandals, the one that only gets mentioned in remote corners is:

Where's the press?  No Republican could ever survive the weight of these scandals. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

That would be one hell of a lot better deal if you ask me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Yeah, we're "rid of" them.
Qatar Allowing Swapped Taliban Prisoners to Move Freely
Tuesday, 03 Jun 2014 03:53 PM

Qatar has moved five Afghan Taliban prisoners freed in exchange for a U.S. soldier to a residential compound and will let them move freely in the country, a senior Gulf official said on Tuesday, a step likely to be scrutinized by Washington.
U.S. officials have referred to the release of the Islamist militants as a transfer and said they would be subject to certain restrictions in Qatar. One of the officials said that would include a minimum one-year ban on them traveling outside of Qatar as well as monitoring of their activities.

"All five men received medical checks and they now live with their families in an accommodation facility in Doha," the Gulf source, who declined to be identified, told Reuters. "They can move around freely within the country."

Following the deal under which freed the last American soldier held in Afghanistan was freed, concerns have been expressed by some U.S. intelligence officials and congressional advisers over the role of the Gulf Arab state as a bridge between Washington and the world of radical Islam.

The Gulf official said the Taliban men, who have been granted Qatari residency permits, will not be treated like prisoners while in Doha and no U.S. officials will be involved in monitoring their movement while in the country.

"Under the deal they have to stay in Qatar for a year and then they will be allowed to travel outside the country... They can go back to Afghanistan if they want to," the official said.

The five, who had been held at the U.S. Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba since 2002, arrived in Qatar on Sunday where U.S. security personnel handed them over to Qatari authorities in the Al Udeid area west of Doha, site of a U.S. military base.

U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl had been held for nearly five years by Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan and his release followed years of on-off negotiations.

A diplomatic source said Qatar has flown in family members of the five released Taliban men and gave them accommodation paid for by the government.

On Sunday, Qatari Foreign Minister Khaled al-Attiyah told a news conference that Doha got involved in the case because it was a "humanitarian cause." He did not elaborate.
Reuters, republished at Newsmax

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Duh.
... President Obama admitted Tuesday that the five terrorists he traded for US Army POW Bowe Bergdahl could “absolutely” take up arms against America again — as reports said the Taliban commanders were roaming free in ­Qatar and could return to Afghanistan as early as next year.

“Is there the possibility of some of them trying to return to activities that are detrimental to us? Absolutely,” Obama said during a news conference in Poland.

“That’s been true of all the prisoners that were released from Guantanamo. There’s a certain recidivism rate that takes place.”  ...
NY Post

No, Harry, we're not "rid of" them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

To show he isn't favoring Islamic sympathizers and Islamists, Obama should release the Manson family in Las Vegas because I'm tired of THEM.

Offline SlapLeather