Author Topic: Dan Marino Sues NFL, Says He Was Hurt By Football Concussions  (Read 676 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Dan Diamond
Forbes
June 2, 2014

Dan Marino has sued the NFL, claiming that playing professional football left him suffering from concussion-related injuries, Nathan Fenno reports for the Los Angeles Times.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia last week, according to the Times. Fourteen other players joined Marino in the suit.
More

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Dan Marino Sues NFL, Says He Was Hurt By Football Concussions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:18:13 am »
I note this comes just a few months after he lost his job at CBS. The timing of the lawsuit does not really help his case.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/02/18/cbs-tony-gonzalez-shannon-sharpe-dan-marino/5580021/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:48:24 am »
The NFL might be the teetering body of a dying deer about to fall dead; soon to be devoured by the vultures.

If this goes on for a protracted period, and some of these suits get legs, I wouldn't be surprised to see the league petition congress to protect it based on the public interest of having so much public money tied up in stadiums.  Once that happens, there will be big taxes on tickets and the NFL will look a lot like the tobacco industry.

It could get very ugly.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:39:03 am »
Obviously, he pi$$ed through all his money.   He's hawking Weigh-Watchers or Nutri-System for crying out loud!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:17:25 pm »
It could get very ugly.

Football is doomed. First the NFL, then it will be college and High School football. Athletes have become too big and fast for this game to be safe. I used to love the game. Still love High School and college, but I barely recognize NFL football.

The only thing constant is change.