Author Topic: First lady: 'Doable' for Dems to take back House  (Read 488 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
First lady: 'Doable' for Dems to take back House
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:14:36 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/207981-first-lady-doable-for-dems-to-take-back-house

June 02, 2014, 06:23 pm
First lady: 'Doable' for Dems to take back House

By Justin Sink

First lady Michelle Obama told donors Monday it was "doable" for Democrats to retake the House of Representatives in November.

Speaking at a Boston fundraiser benefiting the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the first lady noted that Democrats were just 17 seats away from returning the Speaker's gavel to Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

"That's a doable number," she said, if Democratic voters turn out at the polls.

But that's at odds with political experts who believe Democrats face steep odds for even picking up seats in November's election, and an even slimmer chance of regaining the House, in an unfavorable midterm climate.

In 2012, buoyed by President Obama's reelection effort, House Democrats combined to win approximately 1.4 million more votes than Republicans, but were unable to overcome gerrymandering advantages held by the GOP. Since then, the president's approval rating has significantly eroded. The University of Virginia Center for Politics's latest House ratings predict Republicans will net between five and eight House seats.

The first lady said the key to prevailing was luring women and minorities to the polls, even if they customarily stay home during midterm elections.

"We need to call them and remind them that the midterms are coming, and we need to give them a ride to the polls to make sure they get there," the first lady said.

Obama also encouraged attendees at the dinner to write a "big fat check."

"It is simply not enough for us to have the best candidates if they don't have the resources we need to win elections," she said.

The first lady said the 2014 election was the president's "last campaign."

"Because if we lose these midterm elections, it's gonna be a whole lot harder to finish what we started together," the first lady said.

She also bragged the president had accomplished much of the "change" he promised as a candidate.

"Five years later, now that we've had 50 straight months of job growth, now that this administration has created 9.2 million private sector jobs and our auto industry has come roaring back — now that we're here, it's easy to forget where we started," the first lady said.

Fifteen Democratic congresswomen accompanied the first lady for the event. Ticket prices to benefit the DCCC ranged from between $500 per person to $32,400 per couple.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: First lady: 'Doable' for Dems to take back House
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:15:03 am »
who's she blowin' now?

Offline mountaineer

Re: First lady: 'Doable' for Dems to take back House
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:58:37 pm »
Michelle Forgets She Wasn’t Elected
by Keith Koffler on June 3, 2014, 11:23 am
White House Dossier

Looks like John Roberts screwed up even more than previously understood when he misspoke to oath of office in 2009. It seems – and I know some might find this unsettling so sorry to bother you – but it seems he accidentally swore Michelle in too!

From remarks First Lady Michelle Obama made last night during a Democratic fundraiser:
And then there were those of you — joined us after the primaries, and you were there when Barack and I first took office — or I took office alongside — or he took office and I was there — (laughter)

I mean, okay, let her veto a few bills if she wants, take a couple of illegal executive actions, maybe lead from behind on a small military action or two. But no, I don’t think she should be co-running the country. It’s just not in the Constitution.

As Freud said, there are no accidents.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org