Author Topic: Obama Fans Quaking Over His 'Willie Horton' Moment...  (Read 474 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama Fans Quaking Over His 'Willie Horton' Moment...
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:33:26 pm »
http://www.redflagnews.com/headlines/obama-fans-quaking-over-his-willie-horton-moment

(WND) -- Liberal columnist Michael Tomasky is concerned “the right” will try to turn President Obama’s exchange of five senior Gitmo detainees for a U.S. soldier into “a Willie Horton moment,” warning Republicans will “ride” the issue to January 2017.

Tomasky was a member of the controversial JournoList, a list-serve of progressive activists and reporters who discussed minimizing negative publicity surrounding Obama and attacking political opponents, including Sarah Palin.

“Buckle up,” Tomasky writes in a Daily Beast column Monday. “The right is going to try to turn the Taliban prisoner swap for ‘deserter’ Bowe Bergdahl into a Willie Horton moment for the president – and they’ll ride it to January 2017.”

Horton was serving a life sentence without parole for murder when he was let out on a weekend furlough program supported by Democratic presidential candidate Michael Dukakis. Horton did not return from his reprieve and committed assault, armed robbery and rape. While Dukakis did not start the furlough program, Horton’s crimes became a major issue in the 1988 presidential campaign, beginning with ads in the Democratic Party primary by opponent Al Gore. In the general election, an independent political action committee not affiliated with Republican nominee George H.W. Bush featured Horton in a TV ad that labeled Dukakis soft on crime.

Tomask‎y’s piece is titled “Bowe Bergdahl Is the Right’s New Benghazi.”

“Looking forward, and looking more broadly at this situation,” he writes, ‘all the ingredients are here for a classic GOP Obama-conspiracy-mongering soap opera that can be dragged out until January 2017.”

Tomasky says Bergdahl “wasn’t any Republican’s idea of a patriot.” He points to a 2012 Rolling Stone article by late journalist Michael Hastings that exposed Bergdahl’s attitude against the Afghanistan war, writing in an email to his parents: “I am sorry for everything. … The horror that is America is disgusting.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Obama Fans Quaking Over His 'Willie Horton' Moment...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:48:23 pm »

Tomasky says Bergdahl “wasn’t any Republican’s idea of a patriot.” He points to a 2012 Rolling Stone article by late journalist Michael Hastings that exposed Bergdahl’s attitude against the Afghanistan war, writing in an email to his parents: “I am sorry for everything. … The horror that is America is disgusting.”

But apparently he is every Democrat's idea of a patriot...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:10:57 pm »
If the five released terrorists do as they are most likely to do - go right back to warring against the US - then it is Obuttocks' Willie Horton moment and I hope that the republicans will, just this once, fully cash in on it.

Then again, at least we know that McCain won't do anything of the sort; no doubt he'll weigh in with all sorts of gravitas about how this was a matter of discretionary judgment for the President who had only the interests of the US serviceman at heart, and yada, yada, yada.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:12:26 pm by Oceander »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:19:06 pm »

... I hope that the republicans will, just this once, fully cash in on it.

I don't see how anyone can view the republican party as anything but 'controlled opposition'.  Even politicians can't be that stupid.

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:34:36 pm »
If the five released terrorists do as they are most likely to do - go right back to warring against the US - then it is Obuttocks' Willie Horton moment and I hope that the republicans will, just this once, fully cash in on it.

There have been numerous cases in which previously released Gitmo prisoners returned to kill Americans.  But did one Republican point that out over the weekend?  Not that I saw.  No one questioned Hagel's and Rice's claim that they had "assurances" these prisoners would not be a danger to Americans.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:39:21 pm »
There have been numerous cases in which previously released Gitmo prisoners returned to kill Americans.  But did one Republican point that out over the weekend?  Not that I saw.  No one questioned Hagel's and Rice's claim that they had "assurances" these prisoners would not be a danger to Americans.

I know, but hope springs eternal, don't it?