Author Topic: Conservative Senator Slams Tea Party Groups For Hurting GOP Establishment  (Read 394 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ron-johnson-slams-tea-party-groups

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) on Saturday railed against Tea Party groups for hurting establishment candidates and incumbents just to fundraise.

“That is a fact. It is not a conjecture, and so many of these groups it is basically donor capture. They are there to perpetuate themselves," he said at the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans, La., as recorded by The Daily Beast.

Johnson explained that he feels that some Tea Party groups don't actually represent the grassroots Tea Party movement, with which he identifies.

“I value the membership of the Tea Party movement. I am right there with them ideologically, I mean, ‘Taxed Enough Already.’ But the groups don’t necessarily represent all of the individuals in the movement. I think the individuals are now realizing they may have been led astray by an individual group or two and they really do understand that they have to win elections,” he said. “My guess is the Tea Party grassroots are maybe a little more flexible.”

The senator stressed that the party needs to be more reasonable in order to win general elections.

“I think the conservative movement may just be maturing a little bit. You can be very doctrinaire, you can demand purity, but in the end if you want to advance policy that you want enacted you have to win elections," Johnson said. "If you start out bombastic, if you start out with conspiracies, they aren’t going to listen to you."

Once-Ler is proud to say I voted for Ron Johnson and will do it again.

Offline sinkspur

Have to chuckle a little when I see Senate Conservatives Fund and Heritage Action and Club for Growth all line up behind these "establishment" guys when they win.

Further proof that their political efforts are not about ideology, but about keep those cards and letters coming in, filled with cash.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Carling

“That is a fact. It is not a conjecture, and so many of these groups it is basically donor capture. They are there to perpetuate themselves," he said at the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans, La., as recorded by The Daily Beast.

I completely agree with him.  Some charlatans who lead "Tea Party" PACs are robbing good people of their money on the false hope that some longshot doofus can win in a primary.  I at times feel like I'm trying to convince my mom to not buy the vacuum from the nice man who came up to her door to visit her.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------