Author Topic: 'We didn’t negotiate with terrorists'  (Read 399 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'We didn’t negotiate with terrorists'
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:06:42 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/207850-hagel-we-did-not-negotiate-with-terrorists

June 01, 2014, 11:01 am
'We didn’t negotiate with terrorists'

By Peter Schroeder

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Sunday insisted the U.S. did not deal with terrorist hostage-takers in negotiating the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

Republicans have criticized the administration for obtaining Bergdahl’s release in exchange for the release of five Taliban members detained at Guantanamo. But Hagel insisted what occurred was a prisoner exchange, a routine part of war.

“We didn’t negotiate with terrorists,” he said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “Sgt. Bergdahl is a prisoner of war, that’s a normal process in getting your prisoners back.”

While the U.S. had previously recommended that those Taliban members be detained indefinitely, Hagel insisted that the U.S. is well positioned to make sure those former Taliban detainees do not pose a threat going forward.

“We don’t let anyone out of Guantanamo, and I will not sign off on any detainee coming out of Guantanamo unless I am assured…that we can efficiently mitigate any risk to American security,” he said.

He also insisted that the deal would not encourage future foes of America to take soldiers captive in an effort to obtain concessions.

“America’s record is pretty clear on going after terrorists, especially those who take hostages,” he said. “I don’t think what we did in getting our prisoner of war released in any way would somehow encourage terrorists.”

Several congressional Republicans have harshly criticized the administration for failing to give the required 30-day notice before making the exchange for Bergdahl, who had been held captive by the Taliban for five years. Bergdahl’s health was failing rapidly, and the administration did not believe it had the time, according to Hagel.

“We found an opportunity, we took that opportunity,” he said. “I signed off on that decision. The president made the ultimate decision.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: 'We didn’t negotiate with terrorists'
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:07:59 pm »
POW probably 'went through hell,' Hagel says
By SCOTT WONG |
6/1/14 12:07 PM EDT

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel declined to say on Sunday whether he sees any “red flags” given reports that American POW Bowe Bergdahl left his command post before being captured by the Taliban five years ago in Afghanistan and that he’s now having trouble speaking English.

“He’s been held by the Taliban -- we don’t know where, we don’t know under what circumstances -- for five years,” Hagel said on NBC’s “Meet the Press. “As far as we know, he was not held with any other Americans, or any other English-speaking people. …

"This is a guy who probably went through hell the last five years," the secretary added. "Let’s focus on getting him well and getting him back with his family.”

Hagel said he didn't know if Bergdahl had been tortured.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/?hp=
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:09:16 pm »
Hagel hopes prisoner swap could lead to more talks with Taliban
By SCOTT WONG |
6/1/14 11:41 AM EDT

This weekend’s prisoner swap that freed POW Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl could lead to further talks with the Taliban, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Sunday.

“It could, it might, and we hope it will present an opening,” Hagel said from a U.S. military base in Afghanistan during an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

The U.S. had held talks with the Taliban up until 2012, he said, when it broke off negotiations. 

“We’ve had no relationship since then,” he said, “so maybe this will be a new opening that can produce an agreement.”
Support the USO

Offline evadR

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:29:32 pm »
"The White House agreed that actions were taken in spite of legal requirements and cited "unique and exigent circumstances" as justification."

EXIGENT circumstances!! Are you kidding me. Do they even know what the word means?
Just another example of Barry trampling over the law to rescue "his people", and I ain't talking about the American soldier.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:42:24 pm »
“We didn’t negotiate with terrorists,” Mr. Hagel said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “And I said and explained before, Sergeant Bergdahl is a prisoner of war. That’s a normal process in getting your prisoners back.”

Bullshit! Normal how so hagel???? When was the last time in US history that we did a prisoner swap?  Does anyone know if the Taliban are considered a terrorist group by this regime. Yes i know they all love the taliban but are they on the list of terror groups?????????????????????????????
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:44:19 pm by flowers »

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:46:38 pm »
found this comment on the net....

This 'Hero' sent his uniforms and personal belongings to his mother before he " went for a walkabout " sans his weapon before being captured. Father speaks same language as his " captors of 5 years? " standing beside B. Hussein Obama at the friggin White House as if it was mission accomplished

We don't leave anyone behind? B.S. !

No, we just let real Heroes get killed and go to a fundraiser.

Yeah, we didn't leave them behind. Just used their coffins as a photo op when they arrived home.

bold type mine

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 05:49:06 pm »
I found a list of terror groups. taliban not on it. Yet they kill American soldiers all the time and to have obama let his father praise allah is so upsetting.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:07:43 pm »
"Hagel insisted that the U.S. is well positioned to make sure those former Taliban detainees do not pose a threat going forward."

How the H%## can we do that?   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn