Author Topic: Hagel: Captive's Life Was in Danger  (Read 1782 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hagel: Captive's Life Was in Danger
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:52:08 am »
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Bowe-Bergdahl-Hagel-moved-quickly/2014/06/01/id/574443/

Hagel: Captive's Life Was in Danger

Sunday, 01 Jun 2014 07:00 AM

U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Sunday the military operation to free Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl from the Taliban in exchange for the release of five Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detainees was not relayed to Congress because officials believed the soldier's life was in danger.

In his first extensive public comments about Saturday's operation, Hagel said intelligence the U.S. had gathered suggested that Bergdahl's "safety and health were both in jeopardy, and in particular his health was deteriorating."

Taliban members handed Bergdahl over to special operations forces in eastern Afghanistan, and later in the day the detainees were flown from the Guantanamo detention center to Qatar.

The Pentagon did not give Congress the required 30-day notice for the release of detainees.

Hagel said it was the administration's judgment the military had to move quickly to get Bergdahl out, "essentially to save his life."

He said it was the unanimous consensus of the National Security Council, and the president has the authority to order such a release under Article 2 of the Constitution.

Only a handful of people knew about the operation and Hagel said "we couldn't afford any leaks anywhere, for obvious reasons."

Speaking to reporters traveling with him just hours after Bergdahl was flown from Afghanistan to a military medical center in Germany, Hagel said the special operations forces conducting the operation took every precaution, using intelligence gathering, surveillance, well-positioned security assets and a lot of helicopters to ensure that things did not go wrong.

"No shots were fired. There was no violence," said Hagel. "It went as well as we not only expected and planned, but I think as well as it could have ...The timing was right. The pieces came together."

Hagel said he was hopeful the prisoner exchange could lead to a breakthrough with the Taliban.

He said the focus of the operation was on the successful return of Bergdahl, but "maybe this could provide some possible new bridge for new negotiations."

The U.S. has long argued that the best way to a successful outcome in Afghanistan included reconciliation with the Taliban insurgents.

Asked if this type of swap might embolden other militants to take hostages, Hagel said that this operation was a prisoner exchange. And he said terrorist groups are already kidnapping young school girls, business people and other innocent people.

Hagel declined to say whether he believes Bergdahl was attempting to desert the Army or go absent without leave when he walked away from his unit and disappeared nearly five years ago.

"Our first priority is assuring his well-being and his health and getting him reunited with his family," Hagel said. "Other circumstances that may develop and questions — those will be dealt with later."

He added that his own time in Vietnam and the fact that he knew people like Sen. John McCain of Arizona who was a prisoner of war, gives him a personal connection to such an exchange.

"This is a very happy day for the Bergdahl family," Hagel said. "It's a very important day for our troops and our country."

Hagel said he planned to talk to the Bergdahls soon, and will speak with the soldier at the appropriate time, so as not to interfere with his health care needs.

"I am particularly happy for the family. What they have had to endure, how they've endured it — it's been remarkable. They have not been bitter. They have adjusted, they never lost hope and faith," Hagel said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

rangerrebew

Re: Hagel: Captive's Life Was in Danger
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:31:21 pm »
He's been a captive of the Taliban since the Obama administration has ruled America and they just now found out his life was in danger?  The same Taliban that beheads people and just now his life is in danger?  Give me a break.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:04:52 pm »
He's been a captive of the Taliban since the Obama administration has ruled America and they just now found out his life was in danger?  The same Taliban that beheads people and just now his life is in danger?  Give me a break.

Exactly....I am not buying into this at all...Obama needed a *good news* story re the military and this is it...

btw..how about getting the release of Sgt Tahmooressi in Mexico....Mexico is an ally it should be easier...how about swapping him for 1000 illegals... :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:05:48 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:16:25 pm »

Everyone needs to keep in mind that THIS particular soldier was not captured in battle but as a result of his own personal choice to walk out of the compound to which his unit was assigned. Remembering that will put all of this in a very new light!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:21:48 pm »
"NO!   You said "grave" danger! 

I said,"danger" and you said, "grave danger" ...."Is there any other kind?"   

"I can have it read back to you Col Hagel"!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 01:32:12 pm »
Everyone needs to keep in mind that THIS particular soldier was not captured in battle but as a result of his own personal choice to walk out of the compound to which his unit was assigned. Remembering that will put all of this in a very new light!

So I'm not the only one thinks this does not pass the smell test??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 01:46:52 pm »
The defector's father tweeted YESTERDAY that he will continue to work to close Gitmo and free all the prisoners.  That all the killed Afghan children's deaths will be avenged.

The defector sent his uniform home to his parents and said he was ashamed to be an American and was thinking of defecting

Anyone surprised that O freed five Taliban Commanders in exchange for a fellow muslim.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 01:48:46 pm »

So I'm not the only one thinks this does not pass the smell test??

Obviously NOT!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 01:55:02 pm »

yep...which makes team Obama, Kerry & Hagel look even more ridiculous than usual.  The new White House Press Secretary will be getting his baptism by fire on Monday.....

We've let defectors to the Norks rot before, I see no reason why Abu Bowie ar-Ameriki should not be allowed to live with his decision as well.  The Taliban should have given him a chance at martydom....send him out in the field where the Apaches can hunt him down and give him a Hellfire suppository.....

:smokin:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 01:56:44 pm »

I am going to hold off judgement, brother. We've been there - a lot of us on this forum. Seen people make less than optimal choices and have their crisis of faith and judgement. I will wait for his own words. Figure I owe him that courtesy.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 02:03:49 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 02:07:09 pm »
I am going to hold off judgement, brother. We've been there - a lot of us on this forum. Seen people make less than optimal choices and have their crisis of faith and judgement. I will wait for his own words. Figure I owe him that courtesy.

I'm making no judgments. Just reporting FACTS! And none of us have enough of those to make any judgments.  But what I'm seeing so far does not look good at all!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hagel: Bergdahl's health was deteriorating
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 02:16:43 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/207842-hagel-says-bergdahls-health-was-deteriorating

Hagel: Bergdahl's health was deteriorating

By Kyle Balluck - 06/01/14 08:51 AM EDT

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Sunday said the U.S. moved to free Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl from the Taliban in exchange for five Guantanamo Bay detainees “essentially to save his life,” according to multiple reports.

Hagel told reporters that U.S. intelligence “was such that Sgt. Bergdahl's safety and health were both in jeopardy and in particular his health deteriorating."

"It was our judgment that if we could find an opening and move very quickly ... we needed to get him out of there essentially to save his life,” Hagel said.

“I know President Obama feels very strongly about that,” Hagel added. “I do as well."

The Associated Press reported that Hagel also met with members of the special operations team the freed Bergdahl at Bagram Air Field in Afghanistan. The Defense secretary told them they represented the true spirit of never leaving a comrade behind, a U.S. official told the news service.

President Obama last week announced plan to withdraw troops from Afghanistan by 2016. Bergdahl, a 28-year-old Idaho native, was the last remaining American prisoner in Afghanistan.

"While Bowe was gone, he was never forgotten," Obama said late Saturday at the White House. "His parents thought about him and prayed for him every single day... The United States of America does not ever leave our men and women in uniform behind."

The president’s decision drew criticism from top Republicans on the House Armed Services Committee.

"Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl's release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans," said Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Rep. Buck McKeon (R-Calif.), the Senate Armed Services ranking member and House Armed Services chairman, respectively, in a joint statement.
Support the USO

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »
It sounds like he was messed up BEFORE he was kidnapped!  There is a possibility that this kid was trying to defect and presented himself as an opportunity to the enemy. 

The marine being abused in a Mexican jail is in danger too and was not disloyal to the military.  Where's the deal for him?  Are they even trying? 

Exactly....I am not buying into this at all...Obama needed a *good news* story re the military and this is it...

btw..how about getting the release of Sgt Tahmooressi in Mexico....Mexico is an ally it should be easier...how about swapping him for 1000 illegals... :shrug:

Sounds like a good deal to me!   :beer:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

Re: Hagel: Bergdahl's health was deteriorating
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »
Let me see.........his health was getting worse  YET now he is free and will be able to get onto the VA waiting list to be on the waiting list to die.

BS!!!!!  They needed a excuse to get 5 gitmo prisoners out.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 03:01:58 pm »

I wonder what would happen if I harass a spokesman from the Taliban?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 03:04:50 pm »
Hagel: Captive's Life Was in Danger  Ok, so these clowns decide to fix this defector's life being in danger, by putting every Amercan's life on the planet in danger. Good move, moron.

This is a major, major, victory for the Taliban. You can bet they are dancing in the streets all over the M.E.

And you can be sure, now, that they will certainly try to repeat this victory with someone else.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 03:11:43 pm »

I wonder what would happen if I harass a spokesman from the Taliban?

Offline flowers

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »
The Taliban should have given him a chance at martydom...

:smokin:
Wonder if he will try that here after he gets home? 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 03:17:02 pm »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »
Wonder if he will try that here after he gets home?

That is my fear..

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 03:23:14 pm »
With his apparently 'fake' captivity, this guy did more to help the Taliban than Ben Laden himself could have ever done. He is a hero to our enemies.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 03:25:26 pm »

Should I do it??

This story has some interesting layers to it, the more you look - the more you see.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 03:31:26 pm »
Here is my tweet to the Taliban: @ABalkhi #muhammad was a child molester!!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:32:22 pm by kevindavis »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 04:38:58 pm »
I will give this soldier the benefit of doubt, instead of condemn him based on what could be enemy propaganda.

He may be brainwashed. He may have acted under duress. He may not currently posses "capacity."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln