Author Topic: The White House Is Exhausted  (Read 547 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The White House Is Exhausted
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:22:12 pm »
http://www.nationaljournal.com/white-house/the-white-house-is-exhausted-20140530

The White House Is Exhausted
The past week has not been kind to Obama. But could it be a turning point for his presidency?

By George E. Condon Jr.

May 30, 2014

Day 1,956 of his presidency was not too kind to President Obama. Having to announce within a four-hour span that he had lost both an embattled Cabinet secretary and his chief spokesman, Obama looked Friday like a man gamely trying to get a stalled administration back on track.

He entered the week still stuck with low approval ratings and facing fierce criticism of his policies both at home and abroad. On Wednesday, he tried to chart a new course internationally with a West Point speech setting out a new foreign policy. On Thursday, he dealt with widespread criticism of the speech. On Friday, he tried to dig himself out of a troubling Veterans Administration scandal by jettisoning VA Secretary Eric Shinseki, a man he thought was being unfairly blamed for the problems. Then he accepted the resignation of press secretary Jay Carney, the longtime public face of his White House.

It is a cliché to note the aging of our presidents, to count the gray hairs sprouting with each passing day in the Oval Office. But Obama does look weary. And he is at a point in his administration when his agenda seems tired and many of his appointees are exhausted. In that regard, he is no different than every second-term president since World War II. For all of them, the sixth year was troubled and filled with administration scandals, political challenges and executive turnover.

A second-term president has to figure out how to govern effectively without his original band of hardy loyalists. Most of them have fled government at this point. When Obama looks around his White House these days, he sees Valerie Jarrett and Dan Pfeiffer and only a handful of other aides who were with him on that frigid day in 2007 in Springfield when he announced his long-shot candidacy. Only three of Obama's original 16 Cabinet officers remain—Eric Holder at Justice, Tom Vilsack at Agriculture, and Arne Duncan at Education. He is on his fourth budget director, his fifth chief of staff, and, soon, his third press secretary.

The turnover at press secretary is the least surprising. Few appreciate what a tough job that is. Marlin Fitzwater, who served Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, said that the biggest shock to him when he became press secretary was how hard he had to dig to get the facts and to make sure what he said publicly was accurate. As Carney was later to learn, most of that work is done off-camera, fighting to be included in the inner circle. The two-term presidents since Dwight Eisenhower have all worn out their press secretaries. Bill Clinton and George W. Bush each had four, and Ronald Reagan had three. Lyndon Johnson, who served less than two full terms, had four.

Each had to struggle with the reality that the public starts to tune out a president in his second term. This is a highly personal office. A president is the only politician whom voters, in effect, invite into their homes and watch on television every night. But in a sixth year, people tend to believe they have pretty much heard it all from the president and about all they hear seems to be bad news.

In making his announcements on Shinseki and Carney, the president did all the things expected of him in the circumstances, projecting determination and even smiling bravely. But what he didn't do was signal convincingly that he knows how to provide a way forward for the 966 days he has left in the White House. How he responds now will determine whether this week is regarded as a low point or a critical turning point for his presidency.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

rangerrebew

Re: The White House Is Exhausted
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:27:35 pm »
Trying to remember all the lies of the Obama administration is like taking a physics test having only skimmed the text.  You will remember some, forget others, get others confused, and you look like a fool.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »
Confusion is the point. Fast and Furious was the best example. They told four of five lies all at once, some of them provably false, and then just waited for someone to repeat the very lie that they themselves put out, so they the could pounce and ridicule them. They lay traps for the troubadours, who get killed before they reach Bombay.

Then, Obama has a way of making up lies that never existed, and he ridicules them. Typically, this technique will go something like this. He goes into his smarmy wedding MC persona (becomes a slimey smart-ass), and says...

"Republicans say I am a space alien." [laughter, applause] "Well, I, I, I, I don't think I'm a space alien..." [more laughter, applause] "but, but, but maybe I am. If, if, if, if folks[you have to say "folks" at least once, it is a tested and approved word] wanna say I from outer space, maybe I am. I, I, I'm not sure..." [wild applause and laughter] "I, I, I, I'll have to get on Ancestry.com and look it up!" [and the crowd goes wild]

It is all Bullshit, and it is stupid beyond belief, but stupid people love it.

This deflection technique accomplishes a lot when dealing with the worshippers and morons that follow Obama.

First, he does not address the crime or the scandal at hand. He ridicules 'oppenents'(as he calls them) with nonsensical statements. He portrays himself as a down-home 'good ol' boy' who is being unfairly attacked (a victim). And he makes himself 'likeable and funny'.

Obama does this "all the time", and he is pretty good at it. In fact, it is about time for another one of his stand-up routines to get all the current new scandals off his back. You can expect another speech along the pattern I have laid out any day now.

To quote the Terminator, "That's what he does! That's all he does!".
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:41:27 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:48:13 pm »
This is all an annoying distraction for Obammy who already has his sights set on his next public office: Secretary General of the United Nations.

:smokin:

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:39:49 pm »
This is all an annoying distraction for Obammy who already has his sights set on his next public office: Secretary General of the United Nations.

:smokin:

Are you certain it isn't as a third term president?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:10:49 pm »
He's on the top of the world, looking down on creation,
And the only explanation we can find.
Is the lies that he spun, ever since he said "we won,"
Went and put him at the top of the world.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:11:53 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:31:47 pm »
He's on the top of the world, looking down on creation,
And the only explanation we can find.
Is the lies that he spun, ever since he said "we won,"
Went and put him at the top of the world.

Nice!

I LIKE it!   :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:08:28 am »
Are you certain it isn't as a third term president?

Nope.  Secretary General of the UN.  Bookmark this thread so you'll remember that I told you so...............

Offline speekinout

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 12:17:31 am »
Nope.  Secretary General of the UN.  Bookmark this thread so you'll remember that I told you so...............

How do you think he's going to get around the rule that no one from the 5 permanent members can be named Sec't'y General?

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:15:51 am »
How do you think he's going to get around the rule that no one from the 5 permanent members can be named Sec't'y General?

Simple, renounce his American citizenship, file as indonesian.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.