Author Topic: Robert Demond Gets Probation For Making His Son Walk A Mile Home From School  (Read 852 times)

rangerrebew

Robert Demond Gets Probation For Making His Son Walk A Mile Home From School

AP 

Posted:  05/29/2014 11:24 pm EDT    Updated:  1 hour ago   

LIHUE, Hawaii (AP) — A judge sentenced a Hawaii man to one year of probation and a $200 fine for making his son walk a mile home from school as a form of discipline.

Judge Kathleen Watanabe called the punishment "old-school" and no longer appropriate, the Garden Island newspaper reported Thursday (http://bit.ly/1mLT0lx).

Robert Demond of Kilauea (kih-luh-WAY'-uh) said he picked up his son from school and asked about a matter that had been brought to his attention. When the son didn't respond, Demond made him walk home to think about his actions.

The age of the boy is unclear. Demond's attorney declined comment, while a prosecutor didn't immediately respond to a request seeking comment from The Associated Press.

Demond was also ordered to attend a parenting class after being convicted of endangering the welfare of a minor, a misdemeanor. Demond pleaded no contest and said he would handle the situation differently now after the case went through two courts.

Demond told Watanabe in court on Wednesday that he didn't think the punishment was morally wrong or criminal. He said it was a common form of punishment when he was growing up.

Watanabe said times are different today, given child predators and traffic.

Demond's attorney Margaret Hanson argued Demond had no criminal history and isn't a risk to the community.

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Gary Nelson said the punishment was inappropriate but Demond did it to teach his son a lesson, not out of anger.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/robert-demond-probation_n_5415095.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:24:58 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline PzLdr

He should have taken jail time and told the judge to go f*ck herself.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Charlespg

Judge needs to thrown off the bench 
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

rangerrebew

Judge needs to thrown off the bench

Under liberalism standards, she's a great choice of the next Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Oceander

Everyone's a criminal these days, whether they know it or not.  That gives the executive - the police and prosecutors - carte blanche to abuse whomever they please whenever they please, without any control.

Offline raml

I had to not only walk to school every day and home we had to also walk home at lunch time if we were under a mile and we were by one block so I walked over 3 actually closer to 4 miles a day and was all the better for it. I never had a weight problem and had lots of friends who I walked with we had a good time. What is wrong with walking since it is good exercise and the state of Hawaii isn't exactly a state with cold weather. I lived in Ohio when I was doing all the walking and it was a private school I went to that certainly didn't pamper us and winter was fun too I loved the snow back then. This judge is a complete idiot and how did it ever become the courts concern did the son turn him in for this or did a stupid mother of the son. I wouldn't want kids today they all seem like brats who only know how to think of themselves and have no real compassion for other humans.

Offline katzenjammer

Everyone's a criminal these days, whether they know it or not.  That gives the executive - the police and prosecutors - carte blanche to abuse whomever they please whenever they please, without any control.

"We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them...you create a nation of lawbreakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden."

Offline mountaineer

Has the statute of limitations run for me?  My school district forced me to walk at least a mile each way to school until 11th grade. Oh, the humanity!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org