Author Topic: Backlash grows over Charlize Theron on press intrusion into her personal life: 'You start feeling raped'  (Read 525 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/theron-compares-press-coverage-life-rape-article-1.1811301

Oscar-winning actress Charlize Theron ignited an international firestorm of criticism after she compared the scrutiny she gets as a celebrity to rape.

“I don’t do that, so that’s my saving grace,” Theron said when asked if she Googles herself. “When you start living in that world, and doing that, you start feeling raped.”

Questioned further about the blunt comparison, the 38-year-old actress added: "Well, when it comes to your son and your private life. Maybe it's just me."

No sooner were the words out of the South African siren’s mouth than the social media backlash began, with the kinder commenters complaining, “She should try telling that to a real rape victim” and “How out of touch are these idiot Hollywood stars?” and “I'm so sorry your millionaire lifestyle is so difficult.

Linda Fairstein, the former chief of the Manhattan district attorney's sex crimes unit who spent 40 years hunting rapists, said the word Theron should have used was “violated.”

“Rape has a legal definition, a physical assault on the body and a very traumatic one,” she said.