Author Topic: Issa backs off on Benghazi  (Read 621 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Issa backs off on Benghazi
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:17:54 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/207759-issa-backs-off-benghazi-hearing

Issa backs off on Benghazi

By Rebecca Shabad - 05/30/14 01:50 PM EDT

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) is no longer calling on Secretary of State John Kerry to testify before his panel on Benghazi.

Issa announced Friday that he was releasing Kerry from a commitment to appear before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee in mid-June.

He also said he was reassessing how his panel would proceed on investigating the attacks in Benghazi, Libya.

Issa cast the decision to release Kerry from his commitment as a way to ensure that Kerry and others cooperate with the new House Select Committee on Benghazi. He charged that Kerry and others were using the Oversight hearing as an argument against testifying before the Select Committee.

“Seeing Secretary Kerry and others, who have worked to obstruct critical oversight of Congress’ investigations into Benghazi, attempt to use the upcoming June 12 hearing as a shield against the Select Committee tells me it’s time to reassess,” Issa said in a statement.

“It’s been disappointing to watch a long serving former Senator, like Secretary Kerry, squirm his way to what I’m doing today – releasing him from the upcoming hearing commitment he made only after we issued him a subpoena.”

Just a week ago, the State Department said Kerry was prepared to testify about Benghazi on June 12 and said that would exempt him from participating in the select committee’s activities.

Issa is not a member of the new select committee, and it had been unclear how oversight of Benghazi would mix with the work of the new committee.

Just two weeks ago, Issa had subpoenaed Kerry for a second time to testify before his panel.

Rep. Peter Roskam (R-Ill.), chief deputy whip and a member of the Benghazi committee, called Issa’s Kerry subpoena “a procedural snafu" in comments on Bloomberg News’s “Political Capital with Al Hunt,” according to excerpts released on Friday.

Issa said he hopes the Benghazi panel will have better access to information about the attack compared to its investigative predecessors.

Meanwhile, Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Friday insisted Republicans were not politicizing Benghazi. Boehner spoke in response to charges in Hillary Clinton's new book.

“This is about one issue and one issue only, and that is getting the truth for the American people, and the truth about what happened in Benghazi for the four families who lost their loved ones there," Boehner said. "That’s why we’ve created a select committee. It’s about getting to the truth.

"You have to remember, we’ve been asking for documents now for 18 months. Why does the administration refuse to turn over the documents? Why do they refuse to tell the American people the truth about what happened?"

Democrats have charged that Republicans have found nothing after repeated attempts to investigate Benghazi by Issa and others. They argue the new committee is about hurting a prospective White House bid by Clinton, who was secretary of State at the time of the Benghazi attack.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: Issa backs off on Benghazi
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:26:27 pm »
Another shocker. Darrell Impotent Issa

Offline Carling

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:48:24 pm »
Another shocker. Darrell Impotent Issa

If you actually took the time to read the article, you'll see that Issa isn't calling Kerry so that Gowdy's committee can call him and get him under oath.  Instead, name-calling that isn't really deserved seems to be your response.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:49:01 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:36:22 pm »
.... Issa isn't calling Kerry so that Gowdy's committee can call him and get him under oath. 

This is a TERRIFIC move.  I was concerned that Kerry would skate through the Issa committee ... and Kerry already said he wasn't going to testify before both.  Now he gets to raise his right hand in Gowdy's committee.

I am loving this!   :smokin:

Offline speekinout

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:43:41 pm »
This is a TERRIFIC move.  I was concerned that Kerry would skate through the Issa committee ... and Kerry already said he wasn't going to testify before both.  Now he gets to raise his right hand in Gowdy's committee.

I am loving this!   :smokin:

Me, too! I don't know if Kerry could have got away with completely avoiding Gowdy's committee, but he sure could have stalled for a (long?) while. Now he has no excuse. He basically said he'd testify once. Yesss!  :beer:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 01:12:36 am »
Well, if Trey Gowdy can't get to the bottom of this, I don't know who else can - he's one of the best as far as I'm concerned.  Sounds like a good plan. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 09:52:50 am »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/207759-issa-backs-off-benghazi-hearing
"You have to remember, we’ve been asking for documents now for 18 months. Why does the administration refuse to turn over the documents? Why do they refuse to tell the American people the truth about what happened?"

Why?  To keep the GOP focused on a go nowhere scandal instead of Jobs, the Economy, and Obamacare.  Obama is pulling a Clinton trick.

If anything was damaging for Clinton he would put it out early, but incomplete.  Release a few drips at a time.  This would get the GOP to think there might be even worse news coming.  When the Clintons had evidence that exonerated them from a charge they would refuse to release the documents.  When they were forced to release them they would then turn around and say the GOP was conducting a political witch hunt.

Here is this falls generic DNC ad.

(deep tone oscillating in the back ground of a black screen, the ticking of a clock fades in)
Our economy is struggling. (tone is struck again)
American's are worried about their jobs, families, and healthcare.(tone)
(worse possible picture of Boehner, McConnell, Paul Ryan, Cruz, Paul, and Issa flash on screen)
Instead of working with the President to solve these issues the Republican's spend their time shutting down the government(tone)
         and exploiting a tragedy for political points. 
(slow zoom in shot of Congressman Gowdy)
Get rid of these partisan hacks who will not let the President you voted for twice fix the economy.  The Bin Laden slayer. (pic of Bin Laden)
(friendly uplifting music that recalls "Turkey in the Straw" with US flag billowing in a breeze - screen shot)
Elect Democrats to Congress.
We will get your good jobs back.
We will strengthen our economy.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 03:33:27 pm »
If you actually took the time to read the article, you'll see that Issa isn't calling Kerry so that Gowdy's committee can call him and get him under oath.  Instead, name-calling that isn't really deserved seems to be your response.  :whistle:

Guilty as charged. I dislike Issa, so I did a drive by insult.