Author Topic: Dems to push funding for more VA hospitals  (Read 509 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems to push funding for more VA hospitals
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:30:07 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/207654-dems-to-push-funding-for-more-va-hospitals

Dems to push funding for more VA hospitals

By Alexander Bolton - 05/29/14 05:23 PM EDT

Senate Democratic leaders are planning a two-pronged legislative response to the scandal embroiling the Veterans Affairs Department, which has become an issue in several Senate races.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is looking at a bill to hold senior officials at the VA accountable for mismanagement and legislation that would address the “root cause” of the scandal by expanding veterans’ access to medical care, according to a senior Democratic aide.

“We’ll take a two-step approach. We’ll be putting forward legislation that addresses those who messed up and makes sure they are held accountable and legislation getting to the root cause of the issue,” said the aide.

Specifically, Democratic leaders are looking at the healthcare components of an omnibus bill sponsored by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the chairman of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee.

The Sanders legislation includes funding for an additional 27 VA medical centers and Democratic leaders plan to push that proposal.

Sanders is also in talks with Senate Democratic leaders and Republicans about moving other pieces of his package that passed out of his committee with unanimous support.

The streamlined bill he’s putting together expands on the idea of letting VA patients visit private doctors as well as Department of Defense facilities, community health centers and Indian Health Service centers. To provide a longer term solution, it would let the National Health Service Corps provide scholarships or loan forgiveness for doctors who work at VA hospitals and clinics.
Reid suggested in a statement Thursday afternoon that firing senior officials at the VA alone will not solve the problems veterans face when seeking timely medical care.

“To restore veterans' trust in the reliability of VA health care, we must take action to address the root causes of these problems,” Reid said. “Millions of American service members are coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan and entering the VA system, and that system needs more resources to provide them the best care.

“When the Senate returns, the Veterans Affairs Committee will immediately work on the appropriate legislation to address these deeply rooted problems,” he added.

Reid decided not to schedule a vote before the Memorial Day recess on legislation that passed the House with 390 votes giving Shinseki more power to fire senior officials.

Reid described the House bill as “not unreasonable,” but some Democrats worry it could undermine civil service protections.

Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said Thursday that Congress needs to approve additional funding for the VA.

“Congress needs to demand the right leadership at the VA but Congress needs to provide the resources for the VA. We keep sending them new challenges, new opportunities and we’ve got to make sure they have the resources to meet them,” Durbin said in an interview with WGLT radio.

Durbin held off on calling for VA Secretary Eric Shinseki’s resignation. He plans to review Shinseki’s leadership next week and wants to hear from him personally.

Eleven Senate Democrats, many of them up for reelection this year, have called for Shinseki to step down in the wake of an interim inspector general’s report that found systematic mismanagement at VA facilities.

Joe Violante, the national legislative director for Disabled American Veterans, estimates Congress has underfunded veterans' medical care by $7.8 billion and VA construction by $9 billion over the last 10 years.

"They're not doing enough and unfortunately many in Congress are putting the blame entirely on the secretary and I think part of the fault belongs to them for not appropriating the money," he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Dems to push funding for more VA hospitals
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:50:40 pm »
Typical! We can't run the ones we already have so give us even more!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 12:06:34 am »
The Democrat solution for everything:  throw money at it.  Who the hell cares THAT THEY CAN'T SPEND THE MONEY APPROPRIATED RIGHT NOW!!!!

I suspect the VA is, like every other government agency, ass deep in people who don't do jack.  Nobody ever thinks of downsizing a government agency, I guess.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:24 am »
The Democrat solution for everything:  throw money at it.  Who the hell cares THAT THEY CAN'T SPEND THE MONEY APPROPRIATED RIGHT NOW!!!!

I suspect the VA is, like every other government agency, ass deep in people who don't do jack.  Nobody ever thinks of downsizing a government agency, I guess.

Lots of us talk about it! What we need are some people in Washington who will actually DO IT!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:21:31 am »

There are stats emerging now, and I cannot put my hands on them at the moment, that show how many "Administrators" there are at VA Medical Centers, as opposed to actual Doctors and Nurses who provide actual care.  Think about how top heavy your local School Board is....how many "Administrators" there are in each school that do not teach anything....and then compound the problem and apply it to the VA. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:24:35 am »
There are stats emerging now, and I cannot put my hands on them at the moment, that show how many "Administrators" there are at VA Medical Centers, as opposed to actual Doctors and Nurses who provide actual care.  Think about how top heavy your local School Board is....how many "Administrators" there are in each school that do not teach anything....and then compound the problem and apply it to the VA.

I have not one modicum of doubt that you are not 100% correct!

In fact, I would probably faint dead away if I found out otherwise!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:47 am »

As my sainted grandmother used to say:  too many chiefs and not enough indians.