Author Topic: Ford recalls 1.39 million cars in North America  (Read 644 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Ford recalls 1.39 million cars in North America
« on: May 29, 2014, 07:23:45 pm »
Figured to put it here instead of business, as it is somewhat important.

Ford recalling more than 1.1 million vehicles
Thursday, 29 May 2014 | 1:54 PM ET
Ford is announcing two large recalls. CNBC's Phil LeBeau has the details.

Ford is issuing safety recalls for nearly 1.4 million cars in North America.

The first recall affects 915 thousand Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner vehicles in North America for a potential issue with the torque sensor within the steering column.

Ford shares traded about 1 percent higher in mid-afternoon trade on Thursday. (Click here to see what the stock is doing now.)

Ford said the issue could result in the loss of electric power steering assist while driving.
2011 Ford Escape
Getty Images
2011 Ford Escape

The company is also recalling 195 thousand Ford Explorers in North America for a potential intermittent electrical connection in the steering gear that may result in the loss of electric power steering assist while driving.

Dealers will perform one of three service fixes, depending upon what diagnostic codes are shown when the vehicle is taken to the dealer.

The fixes will either update software for the power steering control module, replace the torque sensor or replace the steering column which includes upgraded power steering control module software.

In addition, the carmaker recalling about 200 thousand Taurus sedans in North America, affecting model years 2010 - 2014 for a corrosion issue.

Via CNBC. More plus video report at link. http://www.cnbc.com/id/101714381
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

Re: Ford recalls 1.39 million cars in North America
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:59:44 pm »
That sensor went out twice in my 2002 Escape (which I've since traded for a Subaru).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:06:26 pm »
I detest these modern cars - electronic this, computer that, sneeze hard and a component fails.

Next car is going to be from the 70's or early 80's. One that you can actually fix yourself without needing a degree in electronic engineering.

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »
I detest these modern cars - electronic this, computer that, sneeze hard and a component fails.

Next car is going to be from the 70's or early 80's. One that you can actually fix yourself without needing a degree in electronic engineering.

Always a trade off. I love those older cars, but they are cranky, less reliable, a little weak on handling, and consume a lot of gas.

But yes, they are simple, and easy to fix.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »
I dunno - they can be really reliable if you keep them maintained. Our best car was a 1976 Vauxhall Cavalier Estate (station wagon to you) that we picked up in 1983. Once I put in a manual choke conversion, didn't have a minute's trouble with it for the next 10 years, but then again, I did do a full service - myself, took about an hour - every 6k miles. She finally died at over 300k miles on the clock, and was easily capable of 115 on the motorway until the last.

Thirsty, yes, but the extra fuel in my mind is offset by lower repair costs.

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:41:36 pm »
I dunno - they can be really reliable if you keep them maintained. Our best car was a 1976 Vauxhall Cavalier Estate (station wagon to you) that we picked up in 1983. Once I put in a manual choke conversion, didn't have a minute's trouble with it for the next 10 years, but then again, I did do a full service - myself, took about an hour - every 6k miles. She finally died at over 300k miles on the clock, and was easily capable of 115 on the motorway until the last.

Thirsty, yes, but the extra fuel in my mind is offset by lower repair costs.

If you do maintenance every 6k, they can be pretty good. But you have to keep after it. The carb, and ignition system can be a bit touchy. I remember the cold winters here, fighting to get those beasts to start.

But, they certainly had more style, and I love those old cars.