Author Topic: Boehner stands by Shinseki  (Read 582 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Boehner stands by Shinseki
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:17:53 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/207575-boehner-stands-alone-in-gop-leadership-on-shinseki

By Russell Berman - 05/29/14 11:04 AM EDT
Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is quickly becoming one of the only lawmakers on Capitol Hill who isn’t demanding Eric Shinseki’s resignation.

The Speaker on Thursday again declined to call for Shinseki to step down as secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs, despite a growing chorus from both Republicans and Democrats following the release of a damaging report for the agency’s inspector general.

“I’m going to continue to reserve judgment on General Shinseki,” Boehner said at a press conference following a meeting of the House GOP. “The question I ask myself is, is him resigning going to get us to the bottom of the problem? Is it going to help us find out what’s really going on. And the answer I keep getting is no.”

Boehner has previously said the Shinseki’s ouster and an ensuing search for his replacement could distract attention from what he has called a “systemic” failure at the VA.

The IG report released on Wednesday backed up allegations that a VA facility in Phoenix concealed a lengthy waiting list for veterans who needed healthcare treatment. Its findings led to more a dozen fresh calls for Shinseki’s resignation, including from several Democrats in the House and Senate.

“The real issue here is that the president is the one who should be held accountable,” Boehner said.

The Speaker stood alongside the third-ranking House Republican, Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who has already called for Shinseki to go.

McCarthy said he and other House Republicans requested a report on VA wait times from the Government Accountability Office back in 2011, and he held up a letter he sent to Shinseki seeking a response to the report in 2013 and offering recommendations for action.

“They’ve known about it. They’ve ignored it,” McCarthy said.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Boehner stands by Shinseki
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:28:29 pm »
He has a point.

The minute Shinseki resigns and someone else is appointed, the Dems will be screaming "give the guy a chance.  Stop the hearings."  They know these hearings are hurting them, the revelations are hurting them.

Shinseki is just the scapegoat.  My guess he's completely clueless about what's going, like a member of a Board of Directors.   It's the first and second-line managers that are to blame for all of this, as well as the hospital administrators.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »

“The real issue here is that the president is the one who should be held accountable,” Boehner said.

I hope they can get rid of this moron soon...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:52 pm »

No Sir! That is NOT the real issue at all! The real issue is that the government is incapable of running ANYTHING efficiently!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien