Author Topic: 'Veterans died! Get us the answers!': Republicans boil over as Veterans Affairs officials answer subpoenas with excuses and blank stares  (Read 1092 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2642418/Veterans-died-Get-answers-Republicans-boil-Veterans-Affairs-officials-answer-subpoenas-excuses-blank-stares.html

'Veterans died! Get us the answers!': Republicans boil over as Veterans Affairs officials answer subpoenas with excuses and blank stares

One Tennessee congressman told a VA official: 'I don't understand how you can stand at a mirror and look at yourself in the mirror, and shave in the morning, and not throw up'
    The House Veterans Affairs Committee chairman barked at one witness: 'Ma’am! Ma’am! Ma’am! Ma’am! Veterans died! Get us the answers, please!'
    The rare nighttime hearing was called to investigate the mismanagement of VA medical facilities, a system that the aegncy's inspector general eviscerated on Wednesday
    His report found 'systemic' problems at the cabinet-level agency, including an average wait time of 115 days for vets to see a doctor for the first time

By David Martosko, U.s. Political Editor

Published: 23:07 EST, 28 May 2014 | Updated: 23:14 EST, 28 May 2014

Sparks flew during a rare late-night hearing before the House Veterans Affairs Committee, as visibly upset Republicans raked VA officials over the coals while the ink was still wet on a scathing inspector general report condemning the agency's deadly failures.

The report found that in Phoenix, Arizona alone, 1,700 U.S. military veterans were denied medical care and others waited an average of 115 days to be seen by a doctor – and that officials covered up the lapses by manipulating wait-lists and other official records.

Tennessee Republican Rep. Phil Roe, a physician and veteran of the Army Medical Corps, summed up the mood on Capitol Hill when he addressed Dr. Thomas Lynch, the VA's assistant deputy undersecretary for health.

Noting that the three officials at the witness table are well-paid but presided over a system that ignored the needs of cash-strapped veterans who are locked into the VA health system, he leveled a sledgehammer at Lynch

'What I don't understand is, as a veteran – as a doctor, as a practitioner – I don't understand how you can stand at a mirror and look at yourself in the mirror, and shave in the morning, and not throw up,' he said, 'knowing that you've got people out there ... how in the world?'

continued...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

As long as nobody goes to jail for defying Congress, people will continue to defy Congress.

There is no reason not to...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
As long as nobody goes to jail for defying Congress, people will continue to defy Congress.

There is no reason not to...

ABSOLUTELY!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

This problem didn't just happen. Both parties have their hands dirty on this one.

And now they fall into ranks and make this a totally political issue that won't be solved.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
This problem didn't just happen. Both parties have their hands dirty on this one.

And now they fall into ranks and make this a totally political issue that won't be solved.

The ONLY way to solve the problem is to privatize the VAST majority of it and that is NOT going to happen!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

Sorry.  Obammy said he'd fix the VA.  He RAN on it.

And the Republican House has increased VA funding over 40% since 2009.  They've got so much money they can't spend it all.

So, this is an Obama administration problem.  4-star generals have no experience managing a bureaucracy that has to be responsive to the public.  Why not hire a hospital administrator of a multi-location organization with actual success under his/her belt?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Sorry.  Obammy said he'd fix the VA.  He RAN on it.

And the Republican House has increased VA funding over 40% since 2009.  They've got so much money they can't spend it all.

So, this is an Obama administration problem.  4-star generals have no experience managing a bureaucracy that has to be responsive to the public.  Why not hire a hospital administrator of a multi-location organization with actual success under his/her belt?

I think you would have better medical care at a lower cost if we would just give "healthcare vouchers" to veterans that they use to pay healthcare providers in the real world, like the rest of us use.  Forget these huge public institutions.......they're so "institutional". 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:47:28 pm by alicewonders »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I think you would have better medical care at a lower cost if we would just give "healthcare vouchers" to veterans that they use to pay healthcare providers in the real world, like the rest of us use.  Forget these huge public institutions.......they're so "institutional".

ABSOLUTELY Alice! With the exception that ONE facility might need to be retained for the treatment of traumatic brain injuries!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Partially true in the overall condition of the VA, but this secret waiting list belongs completely to Obama.  He campaigned on fixing the long wait times at VA facilities at Ground Zero for this one, the VA medical center in Phoenix, AZ.  The secret waiting lists are "the fix" Obama's VA came up with, for no better reason than to make Obama look like he had accomplished something when he did not.  In addition, VA Administrators have been paid substantial bonuses for several years under Obama specifically because they reduced those waiting times.

This is not going to go unsolved.  What will happen for now is the Administration will try and cover their ass for as long as possible in an attempt to avoid the issue before the coming elections this Fall.  Right now they are waiting on a final report.  When it comes, Obama will accept Shinseki's resignation, appoint a successor, and put off the confirmation hearings until after the election.  After the elections though, I look for another Select Committee to investigate this and likely refer criminal charges against a wide range of VA officials.

Offline alicewonders

ABSOLUTELY Alice! With the exception that ONE facility might need to be retained for the treatment of traumatic brain injuries!

Agree.  There are injuries and issue that are "specific" to veterans returning from combat and THAT'S where government funding can build a world class facility that provides world class care to veterans needing that. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders