Author Topic: U.S. Economy Shrinks for First Time Since 2011; Pent Demand Suggests Temporary Setback  (Read 920 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-29/u-s-economy-shrank-early-this-year-for-first-time-since-2011.html

U.S. Economy Shrinks for First Time Since 2011; Pent Demand Suggests Temporary Setback
By Jeanna Smialek May 29, 2014 7:53 AM CT

The economy in the U.S. contracted for the first time in three years from January through March as companies added to inventories at a slower pace and curtailed investment.

Gross domestic product fell at a 1 percent annualized rate in the first quarter, a bigger decline than projected, after a previously reported 0.1 percent gain, the Commerce Department said today in Washington. The last time the economy shrank was in the same three months of 2011. The median forecast of economists surveyed by Bloomberg called for a 0.5 percent drop.

A pickup in receipts at retailers, stronger manufacturing and faster job growth indicate the first-quarter setback will prove temporary as pent-up demand is unleashed. Federal Reserve policy makers said at their April meeting that the economy has strengthened after adverse weather took its toll.

“The good news is that the first quarter is over, it was a difficult one for the U.S. economy,” said Ryan Sweet, senior economist at Moody’s Analytics Inc. in West Chester, Pennsylvania. “I wouldn’t worry too much about the decline, it’s mostly driven by less construction spending and less inventory accumulation. This quarter should be a good one.”

Another report today showed fewer Americans than forecast filed for unemployment benefits last week. Jobless claims dropped by 27,000 to 300,000. The four-week average decreased to the lowest level since August 2007.

Stock-index futures held gains after the figures. The contract on the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index expiring in June rose 0.1 percent to 1,911.5 at 8:52 a.m. in New York.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Anybody surprised?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

Just more evidence for my contention that the country will have to fall down around the citizens before the media will help them take notice.

Gas is at an unprecedented sustained high.
Anyone doubting inflation should shop for some groceries.
The world is a mess.
We have a scandal-a-day administration in the White House.

But, the smartphones are working, the malls are open and full of cheap Chinese made items, and television is chock full of things like Real Housewives of some locale. Until that changes, Americans will refuse to take notice of anything around them.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Just more evidence for my contention that the country will have to fall down around the citizens before the media will help them take notice.

Gas is at an unprecedented sustained high.
Anyone doubting inflation should shop for some groceries.
The world is a mess.
We have a scandal-a-day administration in the White House.

But, the smartphones are working, the malls are open and full of cheap Chinese made items, and television is chock full of things like Real Housewives of some locale. Until that changes, Americans will refuse to take notice of anything around them.

Excellent points! All true!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

Anybody surprised?

Most, nay all, liberals.  But then, reality is nothing but a stream of constant surprises for them.