Author Topic: West Point Grads Give Obama Tepid Welcome – Most Refuse To Stand For President  (Read 4614 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://ulstermanbooks.com/west-point-grads-give-obama-tepid-welcome-most-refuse-to-stand-for-president/

An often rambling, excuse-laden speech appeared to hold little interest to West Point military grads today.  According to media sources, Barack Obama found himself greeted with a decidedly less than enthusiastic crowd, one that remained quiet throughout his many “not my fault” talking points.

President Obama tried repeatedly to assure the military audience that he believed in American exceptionalism.  This comes after several years of the president downplaying, and at times, apologizing for America’s influence throughout the world.

The current Commander in Chief went on to demand the United States work with the United Nations, that such a relationship will be the hallmark of future U.S. foreign policy.  The West Point grads appeared less than enthusiastic about such a goal, perhaps noting the inherent contradiction of a president trying to convince them he believes in American power, while at the same time, demanding that power play a secondary role behind working with such entities as the United Nations.

Posted byulsterman
May 28, 2014
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Slide Rule

Evidently West Point still trains moral leaders.

Good.  Very good indeed.

Al

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Evidently West Point still trains moral leaders.

Good.  Very good indeed.

Al

:amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

Obama Tells West Point Grads They Will Be Fighting Global Warming

I’m pretty sure fighting a figment of Al Gore’s imagination isn’t what they had in mind when they signed on to serve in the Army.

OBAMA: Keep in mind, not all international norms relate directly to armed conflict. In the face of cyber-attacks, we are working to shape and enforce rules of the road to secure our networks and citizens. In the Asia Pacific, we are supporting Southeast Asian nations as they negotiate a code of conduct with China on the South China Sea, and are working to resolve territorial and maritime disputes through international law. That spirit of cooperation must energize the global effort to combat climate change – a creeping national security crisis that will help shape your time in uniform, as we’re called on to respond to refugee flows, natural disasters, and conflicts over water and food. That’s why, next year, I intend to make sure America is out front in a global framework to preserve our planet.

Weaselzippers
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Obama: US can’t ‘exempt’ itself from global climate rules
By Laura Barron-Lopez - 05/28/14 12:11 PM EDT

President Obama forcefully told West Point graduates Wednesday that the U.S. must lead on climate change, just days before the administration is expected to announce the cornerstone of his climate legacy.

Obama railed against climate change skeptics, saying they make it harder for nations to cooperate in the fight against global warming.

"We can’t call on others to make commitments to combat climate change if so many of our political leaders deny that it is taking place," Obama said on Wednesday.

"You see, American influence is always stronger when we lead by example. We cannot exempt ourselves from the rules that apply to everyone else," he added.

Obama went on to say that "cooperation must energize the global effort to combat climate change."

Using strong rhetoric, Obama called the warming climate a "creeping national security crisis" that will shape the West Point graduates’ time in uniform.

More and more, he said, troops will be called on to respond to "refugee flows, natural disasters, and conflicts over water and food."

"That's why, next year, I intend to make sure America is out front in a global framework to preserve our planet," Obama added, alluding to the United Nations climate change talks in Paris.

The comments come just before the announcement of Obama's climate change regulation, which will be the first rule limiting carbon emissions from existing coal-fired power plants.

Obama has indicated his intent to unveil the rule himself alongside Environmental Protection Agency chief Gina McCarthy.

McCarthy and a number of administration officials have worked overtime to craft the rule, which will be the strongest show of force on the administration's part in the ongoing battle against climate change.

That also makes it the most contentious rule to date to come forward under Obama's climate agenda. Global leaders will be looking to the rule, as nations ready for the Paris talks.

However, at home, Obama will face an onslaught from Republicans who consider the regulation a "war on coal."
The Hill

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Who can blame them for not standing?  :thud:

I do. You respect the position if you can not respect the person.

It's like respecting the flag. We co-based a lot, and we'd freeze, form up, and salute during the evening flag ceremony. Not our flag, not our tradition, but respect, you know? I mislike larval officers who do not show respect.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:53:29 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-reporter-icy-reception-for-obama-from-west-pointers-during-speech/

CNN Reporter: ‘Icy Reception’ for Obama from West Pointers During Speech
by Noah Rothman | 2:59 pm, May 28th, 2014

Obama’s “philosophical” speech to the 2014 graduates of West Point about a new direction for America’s foreign policy was “not a great” speech for that audience, said CNN anchor Jim Clancy on Wednesday. He said that the president did not sound like a “commander-in-chief speaking to his troops” and got an “icy reception” as a result.

Clancy did not criticize the substance of President Obama’s speech outlining a shift in tactics, specifically as it relates to America’s approach to fighting terrorist groups. However, he did think that the defining of a new foreign policy doctrine was not something the attendees wanted to hear.

“It was a philosophical speech,” Clancy said. “It was not a commander-in-chief speaking to his troops. And you heard the reception. I mean, it was pretty icy.”
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Lando Lincoln

It's like respecting the flag. We co-based a lot, and we'd freeze, form up, and salute during the evening flag ceremony. Not our flag, not our tradition, but respect, you know? I mislike larval officers who do not show respect.

:patriot:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

Is it a requirement to stand, or just expected?

If there's an option, then I say, stay seated, even if you respect the office.

It makes a powerful statement that, IMO, needs to be made by our military.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Is it a requirement to stand, or just expected?

If there's an option, then I say, stay seated, even if you respect the office.

It makes a powerful statement that, IMO, needs to be made by our military.

No, my friend.

These are - or will be at some stage - officers. Those who are responsible for discipline, respect and the traditions of the service. They do not get a pass on this.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Understand that this was a Commencement address for the graduating class of cadets.  How would you feel if the President showed up to make a speech that is nothing more than attempting to answer his critics, not laying out some kind of clear, coherent foreign policy.  That does not exists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline MACVSOG68

Absolutely correct.  At a formal dinner or military ball, an officer will start the toasting by tapping the glass, rising, lifting his glass and saying:  "The President of the United States".  Then a dozen or so toasts would be offered depending on the outfit you were in.  At least it used to be that way.

I still think it's unfortunate the West Point graduating class couldn't have heard Admiral McRaven instead of this smug, miserable, ineffectual, sleazy, gutless, make-believe leader with his defensive, self-important speech.  I can say that because I'm a retired officer...
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
http://www.c-span.org/video/?41321-1/west-point-commencement-address

Made me laugh like hell in spots. Honest. humorous, and totally respectful of the cadets. The Worm is a foul person in comparison. Yet - he's still CinC.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I thought the protocol was all military stood at attention when the Pres entered..maybe it is different at commencement ceremonies.... :shrug:......of course you can't make civilians do that....
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What a difference

U.S. Military Academy Commencement

President Bush spoke to graduating U.S. Military Academy cadets at West Point. Topics included the war on terror and U.S. policy towards the terrorists.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?192749-1/us-military-academy-commencement
Support the USO

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Absolutely correct.  At a formal dinner or military ball, an officer will start the toasting by tapping the glass, rising, lifting his glass and saying:  "The President of the United States".  Then a dozen or so toasts would be offered depending on the outfit you were in.  At least it used to be that way.

I still think it's unfortunate the West Point graduating class couldn't have heard Admiral McRaven instead of this smug, miserable, ineffectual, sleazy, gutless, make-believe leader with his defensive, self-important speech.  I can say that because I'm a retired officer...

That always makes me smile when we do that. Our tradition is the most junior officer proposes the toast. Watching them being red faced and embarrassed and so damned proud to do the toast is one of life's wonders.  :laugh:

Yet all forces present get toasted equally and the correct response is expected in each case.

Offline MACVSOG68

I thought the protocol was all military stood at attention when the Pres entered..maybe it is different at commencement ceremonies.... :shrug:......of course you can't make civilians do that....

Yes, you're right it is military protocol, even for the wives.  And while of course not required, it is proper protocol for anyone, military or civilian.  It's the office, not the person.

Offline MACVSOG68

That always makes me smile when we do that. Our tradition is the most junior officer proposes the toast. Watching them being red faced and embarrassed and so damned proud to do the toast is one of life's wonders.  :laugh:

Yet all forces present get toasted equally and the correct response is expected in each case.

Yes, I recall.  The officer who begins the toasting is usually nervous as hell, just knowing he'll screw up the words.  And yes, the correct responses are important. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yes, you're right it is military protocol, even for the wives.  And while of course not required, it is proper protocol for anyone, military or civilian.  It's the office, not the person.

Totally agree. The person may not be worth a used tissue. The office still gets respect.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Well I just looked at a few West Point Commencements over the years and it must not be mandatory to rise...some stay seated depending on who the Pres is it seems....lol
Support the USO

Online Lando Lincoln

Well I just looked at a few West Point Commencements over the years and it must not be mandatory to rise...some stay seated depending on who the Pres is it seems....lol

Surprising, actually.  The cadets are officers in training and protocol is a big part of that training.  Personally, I would expect them to be instructed to stand appropriately.
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

Surprising, actually.  The cadets are officers in training and protocol is a big part of that training.  Personally, I would expect them to be instructed to stand appropriately.

I didn't go to West Point so I don't know if the graduates and guests are told to remain seated or not.  I do know the normal protocol for the CIC is for everyone to stand when he's announced or otherwise enters the area.  In fact, unless things have dramatically changed, everyone would rise when a senior command officer enters a room. 

Reminds me, I still remember handing the dollar bill to the first enlisted salute.

Online Lando Lincoln

I have a good friend whose son graduated from West Point just last year.  I will ask about this. 
John Steinbeck