Author Topic: Phil Robertson Honored at Alma Mater; Faculty Walk Out  (Read 626 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Phil Robertson Honored at Alma Mater; Faculty Walk Out
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:30:07 pm »
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/sarahjeanseman/2014/05/27/phil-robertson-honored-at-alma-mater-faculty-walk-out-n1844024/print

Phil Robertson Honored at Alma Mater; Faculty Walk Out

5/27/2014 6:13:00 PM - Sarah Jean Seman

Three faculty members walked out of the Louisiana Tech University commencement ceremony Saturday to show their disdain for alumnus Phil Robertson.

Students in the Louisiana Tech's LGBTQ organization, Prism, sparked the idea via social media.

Students, faculty, and people across the state posted Facebook statuses and tweeted at Louisiana Tech using the hashtag #NoHonorInBigotry to send a message to the university.

Hannah Ellsworth, President of Prism, said, “We wanted to make a statement displaying our disapproval of the honoring, and for several reasons, including the minimal time we were given to react, a social media campaign was the best way to do this. Faculty, staff, and students didn’t have any time to give input since no one [knew] until the day before.”

#NoHonorinBigotry @LATech pic.twitter.com/djHBg36ZIw
    — Jennie Flynn (@jennieflynn227) May 24, 2014

The Alumni Association and its members, not the university, selected the “Duck Dynasty” patriarch, Louisiana Tech noted in an official statement. In alignment with the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, the school expressed its support of Free Speech:

The right to express and debate differences in opinions, ideologies, and values is at the core of a university community, and Louisiana Tech certainly supports its faculty in this exercise of free expression. It's important to note that the annual Tower Medallion recipient is selected by the Louisiana Tech Alumni Association and it's member representatives, and not the university. It recognizes those alumni who have achieved in their professions while remaining loyal to their university.

On the bright side, let's be thankful Louisiana Tech didn't follow the lead of Rutgers University or Smith College and rescind the award entirely.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: Phil Robertson Honored at Alma Mater; Faculty Walk Out
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »
Take that "no honor in bigotry" to heart, Jennie Flynn.

There is no one more bigoted than a narrow minded leftist.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:35:43 pm »
Take that "no honor in bigotry" to heart, Jennie Flynn.

There is no one more bigoted than a narrow minded leftist.

Ain't that the truth!!!

:beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:37:41 pm »
Ain't that the truth!!!

:beer:

College campuses are breeding bigots at a rate not seen in recent history.

The intolerance of divergent thought in these young punks is breathtaking.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:44:34 pm »
College campuses are breeding bigots at a rate not seen in recent history.

The intolerance of divergent thought in these young punks is breathtaking.

Yeah! I know! I spent 22.5 years of my life working on one of them!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:01:18 pm »
The LGBTQ is after RuPaul these days too. 

Wonder if Phil would consider that good company?

Do I really need to put the sarcasm tag?

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »
If Hitler were alive today they would give him a standing ovation. :thud:

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 05:41:19 pm »
The Alumni Association and its members, not the university, selected the “Duck Dynasty” patriarch, Louisiana Tech noted in an official statement. In alignment with the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, the school expressed its support of Free Speech:

The right to express and debate differences in opinions, ideologies, and values is at the core of a university community, and Louisiana Tech certainly supports its faculty in this exercise of free expression. It's important to note that the annual Tower Medallion recipient is selected by the Louisiana Tech Alumni Association and it's member representatives, and not the university. It recognizes those alumni who have achieved in their professions while remaining loyal to their university.

"[T]he school expressed its support of Free Speech" only because they had no choice but to live with someone else's free speech because of the "the minimal time [they] were given to react".  Rest assured, they would have run Robertson out on a rail if they had had time to do so.  Given no other options they had to pretend to take the high road.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:54:08 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 07:19:22 pm »
There's no honor in stupidity - including the stupidity required to believe hashtags are the equivalent of reasoned discussion - either.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org