Author Topic: How Low Can the President Stoop?  (Read 296 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
How Low Can the President Stoop?
« on: May 28, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/blogs/how-low-can-president-stoop_793822.html

How Low Can the President Stoop?
Gary Schmitt
May 27, 2014 4:35 PM

Today in the Rose Garden, President Obama announced that he’s going to keep a little under 10,000 troops in Afghanistan through 2014, half that number by the end of 2015, and will have all those forces out by the end of 2016. Putting aside the fact that this is the lowest number military advisors estimated was necessary to maintain training and some counterterrorism capability in country over not just one year but several, the decision to halve and then zero out those forces by 2016 is a reminder not only of how seriously unserious this president on strategic matters can be but also how cynically partisan he is.

By pulling out all the troops in 2016, and perhaps before the consequences are fully felt in Afghanistan, he will be leaving for his successor the politically difficult decision of reversing course with all the attendant downsides of once again putting troops in harm’s way. But such ploys are not new to this president. Remember the Afghanistan “surge”--low on numbers as well but also timed to end before the 2012 election. In any case, by structuring the decision and timeline as he has, Obama and his crew know full well that this issue will then become a bone of contention within the GOP primary, with every debate moderator asking: “Would you put troops back into Afghanistan?"

I suppose if there is any positive thing that might come out of the president’s ploy it’s that conservatives will get to see pretty quickly which of the GOP contenders in 2016 has a strategic backbone.

Support the USO

Offline GourmetDan

Re: How Low Can the President Stoop?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:22:16 AM »

I suppose if there is any positive thing that might come out of the president’s ploy it’s that conservatives will get to see pretty quickly which of the GOP contenders in 2016 has a strategic backbone.

Or the consequences of bringing that many conservative voters back to the U.S. in time for the election.

Not a good moove...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true." - Unknown

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
How low? How deep is the bottom of the Marianas Trench?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
Or the consequences of bringing that many conservative voters back to the U.S. in time for the election.

Not a good moove...

Good point - their votes won't be "lost" in the seemingly habitual "absentee military votes lost" event that seems to occur at every election in recent history. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
Good point - their votes won't be "lost" in the seemingly habitual "absentee military votes lost" event that seems to occur at every election in recent history.

How much you wanna bet they won't be home by election day, 2016?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • ^^ Actual picture of me.
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
In response to the headline, Mr. Schmitt probably should not provoke the President into answering that question.
Proud supporter of the Free Conservative Resistance

"Just because people in positions of authority are stupid, it doesn’t mean you have to go along with it." —Arlo Guthrie

The enemy of my enemies may not be my friend, but it's still fun watching him make my enemies squirm.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »
How much you wanna bet they won't be home by election day, 2016?

BINGO!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
BINGO!

IF they get our troops home in 2016, you can be sure they won't be home until December, and their votes will still 'mysteriously' not be counted.

If there's one thing we can count on, it's the disenfranchisement of our military by the left.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »
Question:
[[ How Low Can the President Stoop? ]]

This guy could be the world limbo champion...

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
How low?  Depends...

For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • #NeverTrumpForever
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
How low? How deep is the bottom of the Marianas Trench?

not low enough

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf