Author Topic: Military Commanders Share Growing Concern Over Being ‘Tweeted Into Combat’ Over Nigerian Captives  (Read 610 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
 Members of the Special Operations Forces have been watching the #BringBackOurGirls campaign with growing concern, worried that the movement will pressure and guilt US Armed Forces into taking action.

The hashtag, which has been used by a wide range of celebrities including Michelle Obama, Ellen DeGeneres, Amy Poehler, and the entire cast of ‘The Expendables 3′, has started a worldwide movement to rescue the schoolgirls who were kidnapped by the Boko Haram Islamic militant group in Nigeria.

Though the White House has maintained that it will not commit US forces to the conflict, NBC News reports that military commanders are concerned that the large amount of attention the hashtag has received will force American service members into a conflict that would be difficult to successfully “win.”

via NBC News:

Still, the cumulative impact of the #bringbackourgirls campaign, including the much-retweeted photograph of first lady Michele [sic] Obama holding a “Bring Back Our Girls” sign, is leading some in the special forces community to believe that the order may one day come.

“There is a logic building that it took U.S. 10 years to search for Osama bin Laden and then we found him,” said one source, “so why not spend a few months looking for the girls in Nigeria and find them too?”

The hostages have likely been separated, making their return even more difficult. The public would have to be prepared for the deaths of some, or all, of the girls in retaliation for a raid – something the worldwide public wouldn't accept too easily.

So the overall message? Hashtags won’t bring the girls back, and worse, tweeting about it could have unintended negative consequences. Let the military do its job, and don’t force it into a conflict unnecessarily.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/05/141904-military-commanders-share-growing-concern-tweeted-combat-nigerian-captives/
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I fixed the picture up a bit.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Carling

I fixed the picture up a bit.

If you really did that first, congrats.  Best laugh I've had in a while, regardless of who originated it. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
If you really did that first, congrats.  Best laugh I've had in a while, regardless of who originated it.

Yes... I will take full credit for it.

I did a few, one of them which had Grammer's card read "Who is the Negro?".

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!