Author Topic: Cliven Bundy has officially left the Republican Party herd  (Read 1581 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cliven-bundy-registers-independent

CATHERINE THOMPSON – MAY 27, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT

After waging a lengthy turf war with the federal Bureau of Land Management and offering his thoughts on the current state of "the Negro," Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy has decided his views no longer align with the Republican Party.

The Associated Press reported that Bundy and his wife Carol signed registration forms on Friday night to switch their affiliation from the Republican Party to the Independent American Party. The party was holding an event in Las Vegas to honor what its organizers called Bundy's "courage in standing up for state sovereignty," according to the AP.

Bundy was hailed as a hero by many pundits and lawmakers on the right for refusing to back down in a standoff with the BLM, which was prompted by grazing fees he neglected to pay for years. Many of those who championed Bundy's cause against the BLM later condemned the rancher's remarks about blacks potentially being "better off as slaves" than "under government subsidy."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MACVSOG68

Re: Cliven Bundy has officially left the Republican Party herd
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:34:41 pm »
Guess that takes care of the GOP for the next generation...   Cliven, what have we done to deserve such rejection?  :hard crying:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 07:39:12 pm »
This doesn't mean much. Most of the "independents" in my state are really Republicans, they just don't want to identify with the party (or let their families know they've rejected the Democrats).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:40:41 pm »
Philip Bump
The Washington Post
May 27, 2014

Rancher Cliven Bundy, who you may remember from American politics circa April 2014, has officially left the Republican Party. The news is unlikely to cause too many sleepless nights at Nevada GOP headquarters.

Bundy and his wife signed new voter registration forms at an event held by the Independent American Party, to which the Bundys now belong.
More

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:43:14 pm »
If I were a member of the republican party I would start to pay attention.  I heard Hannity this afternoon blast the republican party saying, in effect, he has lost faith.  Glenn Beck has been going after them for some time, and Rush has nothing good to say about them except they aren't democrats.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »
If I were a member of the republican party I would start to pay attention.  I heard Hannity this afternoon blast the republican party saying, in effect, he has lost faith.  Glenn Beck has been going after them for some time, and Rush has nothing good to say about them except they aren't democrats.

No offense, but I probably wouldn't look to Cliven Bundy for advice on how to be a good Republican.  **nononono*

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 10:32:16 pm »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:38:49 pm »

Looking at you avatar, why not use the Zappa's hands holding feces version.  I think that was the poster.  It's been 42 years since I was in that head shop.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 11:38:49 pm »
The IAP, at least in Nevada, is just another name for the Constitution Party.

Bundy has every right to leave the party. I, for one, never joined. He's a common citizen. The only thing this will affect is whether or not he can vote in party primaries. Seeing how those have been going lately, people like Bundy aren't having enough of an impact anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline speekinout

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 12:04:45 am »
Good for Bundy! He got into the news because he had a position that many conservatives could agree with. And then he said something (a rather trivial thing IMO) that wasn't totally pc and got excoriated for it. Why should he support a party that is so rigid that it can't tolerate any words that aren't exactly pc?
Bundy, Sterling, and who else is going to get dumped on for some rather inarticulate statement? Be it in private or public?
The GOP is certainly not the party of tolerance.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:15:07 am »
...people like Bundy aren't having enough of an impact anyway.

Thank the Lord for small favors.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:17:05 am »

Many of us in the Party feel that few are more intolerant than those who constantly demand tolerance.   **nononono*

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:59 am »
Looking at you avatar, why not use the Zappa's hands holding feces version.  I think that was the poster.  It's been 42 years since I was in that head shop.

Try and imagine how I care.

Offline Carling

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 12:34:32 am »
Good for Bundy! He got into the news because he had a position that many conservatives could agree with. And then he said something (a rather trivial thing IMO) that wasn't totally pc and got excoriated for it. Why should he support a party that is so rigid that it can't tolerate any words that aren't exactly pc?
Bundy, Sterling, and who else is going to get dumped on for some rather inarticulate statement? Be it in private or public?

Perfect.  Now he can represent the IAP crowd, which I imagine is a small party that isn't really going to have any impact on this election cycle.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 01:24:58 am »
The IAP, at least in Nevada, is just another name for the Constitution Party.

Just what we need. The Constimatooshin Party is loony.

Or as my pal Chancellor Palpatine once said:

"The Constimatooshin Party is an oddball collection of cantankerous cranks, and if you review their platform closely, you'll realize that it is pretty much the official party of those KKK members who can still vote (or have at least had their civil rights restored after felony convictions)."

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 01:32:40 am »
Independent American Party? Isn't that a branch of Tom Hoefling's party?

Offline speekinout

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 01:45:19 am »
Perfect.  Now he can represent the IAP crowd, which I imagine is a small party that isn't really going to have any impact on this election cycle.

You hope so. But everyone who leaves the GOP is just helping another dim get elected. That's an impact.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 01:53:33 am »
Many of us in the Party feel that few are more intolerant than those who constantly demand tolerance.   **nononono*
And in closed primary states (what conservatives claim they want) if one leaves the party, they can't vote.

But they will continue complaining.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline olde north church

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 02:05:43 am »
Try and imagine how I care.

:pondering:  Somewhat.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 02:06:44 am »

Apparently it was the American Independent Party or America's Party rather than the Independent American Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hoefling
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:09:05 am by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 02:22:04 am »
I heard Hannity this afternoon blast the republican party saying, in effect, he has lost faith.

Hannity is a cipher.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 04:15:18 am »
There have been a few offshoots.

There's the America's Independent Party, which was Alan Keyes's effort. (Until he named himself, I suspected Tom Hoefling was Alan Keyes, considering how much he hawked Keyes's candidacies.)

There's the America's Party, which was Tom Hoefling. (Hoefling is now back in the Republican Party, BTW.)

There's the Independent American Party of Utah and Hawaii, which broke off from the Constitution Party in the 1990s.

Then there's the always nebulous American Independent Party of California, which affiliates with all sorts of different parties. They were with the Constitution Party, then switched to Keyes in 08, then to Hoefling in 12, and who knows where they are now?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 07:56:49 pm »
There have been a few offshoots.

There's the America's Independent Party, which was Alan Keyes's effort. (Until he named himself, I suspected Tom Hoefling was Alan Keyes, considering how much he hawked Keyes's candidacies.)

There's the America's Party, which was Tom Hoefling. (Hoefling is now back in the Republican Party, BTW.)

There's the Independent American Party of Utah and Hawaii, which broke off from the Constitution Party in the 1990s.

Then there's the always nebulous American Independent Party of California, which affiliates with all sorts of different parties. They were with the Constitution Party, then switched to Keyes in 08, then to Hoefling in 12, and who knows where they are now?
Hoefling spewed a lot of crap about the GOP in his quest for the Presidency, so it shouldn't be hard to defeat him in the party's primary.

He needs to move down the ladder, and maybe run for school board, dogcatcher, etc. first.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln