Author Topic: Joe The Plumber To UCSB Parents: 'Your Dead Kids Don't Trump' My Guns  (Read 937 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/joe-the-plumber-wurzelbacher-ucsb-shooting-dead-kids?utm_content=buffer9cb28&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Tom Kludt – May 27, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT

Samuel Wurzelbacher gave his condolences this week to the families of the victims of the mass shooting near the University of California, Santa Barbara. But no tragedy is going to stop "Joe The Plumber" from defending the Second Amendment.

In an open letter published Tuesday on the website Barbwire, Wurzelbacher went out of his way to explain to the victims' parents that the deaths won't undermine his "Constitutional rights."

"I am sorry you lost your child. I myself have a son and daughter and the one thing I never want to go through, is what you are going through now," wrote Wurzelbacher, who became something of a mascot for John McCain's failed 2008 presidential campaign. "But: As harsh as this sounds – your dead kids don’t trump my Constitutional rights."

Wurzelbacher singled out Richard Martinez, whose son Christopher was one of the six students killed by Elliot Rodger in Isla Vista, Calif. Since the deadly rampage, Martinez has twice railed against politicians and the National Rifle Association for the failure to pass new gun laws after the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.

"There are no critical words for a grieving father. He can say whatever he wants and blame whoever he’d like – it’s okay by me. You can’t take a step in his shoes – at least I can’t," Wurzelbacher wrote. "But the words and images of Mr. Martinez blaming 'the proliferation of guns', lobbyists, politicians, etc.; will be exploited by gun-grab extremists as are all tragedies involving gun violence and the mentally ill by the anti-Second Amendment Left."

Wurzelbacher added that he has a responsibility as a "father, husband and a man" to protect his family. Addressing Martinez directly, Wurzelbacher wrote that "anyone calling for more restrictions on American’s rights need to back off and stop playing into the hands of the folks who merely capitalize on these horrific events for their own political ends."

Wurzelbacher closed with an admonition.

"In conclusion, I cannot begin to imagine the pain you are going through, having had your child taken away from you," he wrote. "However, any feelings you have toward my rights being taken away from me, lose those."

h/t RightWingWatch
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline xfreeper

Perhaps a little harsh but I agree with the sentiment completely. Interfering with the rights of 100+ million legal and responsible gun owners as a default position every time some nut case causes havoc with a firearm is getting tired. I can’t criticize an anguishing parent but those that rush to use him make me sick.

Offline MACVSOG68

Perhaps a little harsh but I agree with the sentiment completely. Interfering with the rights of 100+ million legal and responsible gun owners as a default position every time some nut case causes havoc with a firearm is getting tired. I can’t criticize an anguishing parent but those that rush to use him make me sick.

Either side that jumps on events like this to bolster political goals deserves scorn.  Like you, I can't criticize a grieving parent, nor would I use that grief to advance any cause.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Charlespg

I agree
with him
3 people stabbed to death, two hit with a car
and liberals are fixated  on guns instead of laws to better deal with the crazys
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sometimes one must be harsh to force the truth through the haze and fog of lies.

This guy said it better than me:
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Offline sinkspur

Why do we give a damn what Samuel Wurzelbacher has to say about this?

He's a tactless, classless clown.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline PzLdr

Classless? So what's Mr. Martinez? His kid's dead, and all he yells about is  he wants more gun control. I'm with Joe the Plumber on this. Actually, I'm worse. If we can tolerate the slaughter of millions of unborn, I'm more than willing to put up with a few hundred  gun deaths every year to preserve my Second Amendment rights.

And "tactless"? It's about time SOMEBODY who believes in the Second Amendment refused to leave the megaphone to the gun grabbers and their stooges. Interrupts the pre-canned, locked and loaded [pardon the phrase] narrative they unload on us every time a shooting occurs. Oh yeah, think Mr. Martinez will join the crusade for knife control?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Relic

Either side that jumps on events like this to bolster political goals deserves scorn.  Like you, I can't criticize a grieving parent, nor would I use that grief to advance any cause.

I couldn't agree more.

There are idiots on the left and on the right. This was just a stone cold stupid thing for someone to say, and that person is on the right. So, the media will give the stupid comment lots of play. When someone on the left says something equally stupid, the media buries it like a cat burying a turd.

Offline GourmetDan

There are idiots on the left and on the right. This was just a stone cold stupid thing for someone to say, and that person is on the right. So, the media will give the stupid comment lots of play. When someone on the left says something equally stupid, the media buries it like a cat burying a turd.

The media (leftists that they are) can't imagine that millions of American's will actually agree w/ his statement.  The leftists who are working to make liberty look undesirable are the real idiots.  They and the toadies who can't imagine that a life of liberty includes personal responsibility...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Exactly what we have become...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Note the source: Talking Points Memo. They lean left. The liberals are the ones who care, and it's the same reason they went after Cliven Bundy. They know that to have any chance of success, they have to demonize common citizens; they have to delegitimize their views. They know that the people who made the Tea Party successful are mostly common citizens (Harry Reid's ranting about the Koch brothers notwithstanding).

It's a tactic that's been around since at least the 1960s. Those with "right thought" get promoted in the press; those with "wrong thought" are ostracized.

(And besides, Joseph Wurzelbacher uses his middle name. It's not that uncommon... ahem.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:20:08 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

Classless? So what's Mr. Martinez? His kid's dead, and all he yells about is  he wants more gun control. I'm with Joe the Plumber on this. Actually, I'm worse. If we can tolerate the slaughter of millions of unborn, I'm more than willing to put up with a few hundred  gun deaths every year to preserve my Second Amendment rights.

And "tactless"? It's about time SOMEBODY who believes in the Second Amendment refused to leave the megaphone to the gun grabbers and their stooges. Interrupts the pre-canned, locked and loaded [pardon the phrase] narrative they unload on us every time a shooting occurs. Oh yeah, think Mr. Martinez will join the crusade for knife control?

Martinez lost a son.  He gets a pass in his grief. 

Joe the Plumber's 15 minutes passed a long time ago.  Asserting his rights to a man who is grieving is low-class, but then, that's kinda Joe's appeal, I guess.

Offline LambChop

Joe the Plumber's 15 minutes passed a long time ago.  Asserting his rights to a man who is grieving is low-class, but then, that's kinda Joe's appeal, I guess.

Agreed.  In our grief we need to find blame.  No matter what method of death, we need to place our anger somewhere.

And I don't understand those who find appeal in the destructive words of "Joe the Plumber". 

Offline SouthTexas

BS, just like the witch in the ditch? 

You take it public, you open yourself up for responses and not all will be nice.

Offline sinkspur

You take it public, you open yourself up for responses and not all will be nice.

Yeah.  Joe the Plumber took his response public and is being called a dumbass.

Silence in the face of grief is a good thing.  It's also thoughtful. 

Offline musiclady

I couldn't agree more.

That's the problem.

What Joe said was inexcusably callous.  Leftists have said myriads of equally, or more classless, stupid things, but Joe's words will be carried on for eternity and all of us on the right will be smeared with them.

On the other hand, the idiocies of Sean Penn, Howard Dean, Michael Moore, et al, are never heard by the average American.

Like it or not, those on the right need to be more circumspect in what we say.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline SouthTexas

Yeah.  Joe the Plumber took his response public and is being called a dumbass.

Silence in the face of grief is a good thing.  It's also thoughtful.

Seems your reasoning only applies in one direction. 

Blaming guns when half of the victims were stabbed to death sounds like a pretty dumbass comment to me and he is not applying the silence is good and thoughtful by going public either.

Offline sinkspur

Seems your reasoning only applies in one direction. 

Blaming guns when half of the victims were stabbed to death sounds like a pretty dumbass comment to me and he is not applying the silence is good and thoughtful by going public either.

You give no quarter to the grieving father.

Hopefully, people will be more respectful to you when you're where this man is.

Offline SouthTexas

You give no quarter to the grieving father.

Hopefully, people will be more respectful to you when you're where this man is.

No I don't Sinkspur, not after HE took the issue public and wants to come after MY rights over something I had absolutely nothing to do with. 

I will continue to pray for those that had losses, but I will NOT tolerate asininity.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I understand his sentiment but many on our side need a serious lesson in marketing and PR. We need to understand how we formulate our words and positions will either draw people to us or be used against us.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
While his remarks were untimely...which makes them 'insensitive', they were true.

I've been clamoring for years for the RIGHT to counter the daily ridiculous assertions and statements made by the Left.

Sure, they trot out Alan Grayson...or the latest MSNBC pundit/host in search of higher exposure.  but they also trot out Senator Schumer, and his ilk.

The greatest power of the MSM is the power to ignore.

So when out talk radio hosts cogently break down their attacks or statements as bogus, nobody hears about it except the 'choir' in the pews.  Us.

I'll take Joe the Plumber falling on this figurative grenade, if it makes just ONE Leftist Democrat stop and realize that "We didn't sign up for this sh*t!"

The best way for tyranny to thrive is for good men to remain silent......or something like that.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Charlespg

I find jumping on your kids coffin to use it as a soapbox before he
is even buried far more offensive then what   Joseph Wurzelbacher said   
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline olde north church

Don't know why we're discussing it anyway.  It's settled law.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline MACVSOG68

I find jumping on your kids coffin to use it as a soapbox before he
is even buried far more offensive then what   Joseph Wurzelbacher said   

They were dancing together.  **nononono*
It's the Supreme Court nominations!