Author Topic: Hillary's secret weapon? Praise from Republican lawmakers  (Read 4112 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hillary's secret weapon? Praise from Republican lawmakers
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:56:25 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/207212-hillarys-secret-weapon-gop-praise

Hillary's secret weapon? Praise from Republican lawmakers

By Bob Cusack - 05/27/14 06:00 AM EDT

Republican praise of the Clinton era over the last several years could reverberate in the 2016 presidential race, giving the Democratic front-runner a key talking point.

One of Hillary Clinton's biggest challengers in her likely White House bid is convincing voters that she can make Washington work. Critics have long called Clinton a polarizing figure, citing her effort to revamp the nation's healthcare system in the 1990s and more recently, her congressional testimony on the 2012 attack in Benghazi, Libya.

But Clinton can counter those salvoes by citing Republican compliments of her and a slew of GOP statements on how former President Clinton worked with the other side of the aisle to pass sweeping legislation.

Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.), the 2012 GOP vice presidential candidate, last year said if Clinton had become president in 2009, “we’d have fixed this fiscal mess by now.” The Budget Committee chairman was drawing a comparison between Clinton and President Obama, who has struggled to strike deals with Republicans.

Should she become commander-in-chief, Clinton would not lead the nation exactly how her husband did. But she would likely adopt a similar leadership style, and Bill Clinton would be right at her side.

On many occasions, Republicans have touted Bill Clinton's reign as a way to bash Obama. They maintain the 42nd president negotiated in good faith and Obama doesn't.

Former Arkansas Gov Mike Huckabee (R) said in 2012 that Bill Clinton was a better president than Obama “because he understands that in governing, you do have to sit down and work out your differences.” He added that Bill Clinton was pragmatic and makes even some Republicans want to get bumper stickers that say, “I miss Bill.”

Bill Clinton had many clashes with the GOP, most notably during the government shutdowns of the mid-1990s and when the Republican-led House impeached him amid the Monica Lewinsky scandal. But they did pass landmark legislation together, including welfare reform and the Balanced Budget Act of 1997.

In a speech late last month, Bill Clinton defended his economic policies during his two terms in office, mentioning the revamp of welfare and an earned-income tax credit he signed into law.

“You know the rest. It worked out pretty well,” he said.

In March, Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) delivered a speech on the House floor that highlighted Clinton’s achievements and bashed the record of former President George W. Bush: “[Bill Clinton] signed what amounted to the biggest capital gains tax cut in American history. He reduced entitlement spending by reforming the open-ended welfare system. He produced four years of budget surpluses, and the economy blossomed. George W. Bush pursued the opposite policies with the opposite results.”

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has said he had a lot of disagreements with Bill Clinton, but “at key moments he was willing to cross party lines…” The minority leader, who has lambasted Obama on his dealings with Republicans, added that “there is ample evidence that divided government is the best time to do really difficult things.”

Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) last year lauded Bill Clinton’s leadership in 1993 “when he convinced 47 percent of Senate Democrats and 40 percent of House Democrats to defy organized labor and support the North American Free Trade Agreement.”

Other Republicans have extolled Bill Clinton for in working with them in the 1990s on a range of issues.

Ford O’Connell, a Republican strategist who is chairman of the CivilForumPAC, said these GOP remarks will echo in 2016.

“If Hillary Clinton does indeed run in 2016, one of the most powerful weapons she will have in her campaign arsenal is ‘Republicans, in their own words.’ It’s a treasure trove of sound-bytes and footage that could leave Republicans kicking themselves when it is all said and done.”

With Obama's approval ratings mired in the 40s, Clinton will have to put some distance between her and the president.

One way is for her to vow to work more effectively with lawmakers. Republicans and a surprising amount of Democrats on Capitol Hill have criticized the Obama White House's communication with Congress.

O’Connell said, “Need to distance yourself from the albatross known as Obama? Roll the tape. Want to tout your bipartisan credentials to woo independents? Roll the tape. Have to show that you’re a pragmatic problem solver? Roll the tape.”

Jennifer Lawless, a political science professor at American University, said, “I think the [GOP] comments can only help her. Although remarks like that may be damning in a primary, she’s likely not going to be facing any high-level competitors.”

Peter Ubertaccio, the chairman of the political science department at Stonehill College, said, “Those comments may help her in the general election.” But he suggested they will have a limited impact, noting that  Republicans “impeached her husband.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Hillary's secret weapon? Praise from Republican lawmakers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:02:45 pm »
I would not be surprised if John McCain split ranks with the party to endorse Hillary, especially if Rand Paul or Ted Cruz got the GOP nomination.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »
I would not be surprised if John McCain split ranks with the party to endorse Hillary, especially if Rand Paul or Ted Cruz got the GOP nomination.

I would be VERY surprised if he didn't do that in that circumstance!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:39:18 pm »
These people are all on the same team.  I'm sure Hillary still has fat files of dirt on most of them. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »
Tom McClintock who is cited for the transgression of favorable remarks regarding the opposition's candidate, happens to be the conservatives' conservative. He was Tea Party before there was a Tea Party.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »
Tom McClintock who is cited for the transgression of favorable remarks regarding the opposition's candidate, happens to be the conservatives' conservative. He was Tea Party before there was a Tea Party.

I don't care.  You have got to know that these things will be used by her when she is campaigning.  I am tired of our guys bending over backwards to "reach across the aisle" and try to show that they are "gentlemen".  It's a sure-fire recipe for defeat.  You never see the other guys respond in kind.  Enough of this "my friend" crap!  They are not our friends!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:29:47 pm »

Well, according to the poll here at TBR, more than 75% would do the same, either directly or indirectly if Jeb Bush were the nominee.   :pondering:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:38:03 pm »
Well, according to the poll here at TBR, more than 75% would do the same, either directly or indirectly if Jeb Bush were the nominee.   :pondering:

Well, it's pretty obvious to anyone with elementary skills of observation that the GOP has a problem!  Maybe it's time to stop blaming the voter and look at the party itself. 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »
Well, it's pretty obvious to anyone with elementary skills of observation that the GOP has a problem!  Maybe it's time to stop blaming the voter and look at the party itself.

Can't argue that.  And right now it seems to be made up (power-wise) of groups with different goals and even principles, traditional political Republicans, libertarians, social conservatives.  It seems more divided today the when the tea parties were in their heyday.  Bad sign going into a must-have election.

People are dissatisfied with the primary process but seem to have no answer.  They've set up several issues as "no compromise".  And they've clearly eliminated any candidate who might sit down with the other side to work through these issues. 

Maybe they'll import UKIP.  *hmmmm*

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 03:21:47 pm »
"People are dissatisfied with the primary process but seem to have no answer."

People have been expressing their displeasure with the primary process for the last several elections - but the party does not listen and does not change it!  They are the ones that control the primary process and they are hell-bent to keep it the way it is.  After a while, the frustration with the system mounts and people are just tired of "playing the game". 

My impression is that the GOP has their own agenda.  They claim to have a "big tent", but that is only at election time, and then it's "f**k-you" shut up and go away.  Unfortunately, the "big tent" is full of people that don't really even like each other and are increasingly wondering "why am I here"?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 03:28:29 pm »

And if they nominate another Democrat lite like Jeb Bush the problem will only get very much larger!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 03:33:54 pm »
And if they nominate another Democrat lite like Jeb Bush the problem will only get very much larger!

They disenfranchise the voter and then when they inevitably lose - they blame the voter. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 04:21:29 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 05:09:58 pm »
People have been expressing their displeasure with the primary process for the last several elections - but the party does not listen and does not change it!

I'm completely missing the argument on the conduct of primaries.  What do the "people" want?  There've been numerous tea party candidates in most primaries both mid-term and presidential.  Six of them are running against Lindsay Graham right now.  I'm slow I understand, but the only thing I hear is about how "we the People" want the party to change the primaries. 

Do you want to take all the money out of the process?  Do you want to change the timing of primaries?  How about not letting any mainstream conservatives vote? 

The only thing I can get out of all this is that if Jeb Bush, Romney, Chris Christie, John Cornyn, Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio, or any one else who might be considered a GOP supported candidate is nominated, then the process is obviously flawed, since no one wants them as the nominee. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 05:21:22 pm »
Be grateful you get a choice in the primaries.

We have primaries. 4 or 5 potential candidates throw their hat into the ring. They are looked at by the local party group (usually 13 people) and one gets picked for us plebs to vote for or not.

You really want to go that way?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 05:25:03 pm »
I don't like the timing of the primaries and I know a lot of people here share my feelings that by the time I get to vote in my state primary - a lot of the candidates have already dropped out and many times I'm down to just one candidate and "Ron Paul".  I believe in the past that some states have wanted to change their primary dates and weren't allowed to.  I'm tired of states like Iowa and New Hampshire picking candidates for the rest of us.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 05:48:28 pm »
I don't like the timing of the primaries and I know a lot of people here share my feelings that by the time I get to vote in my state primary - a lot of the candidates have already dropped out and many times I'm down to just one candidate and "Ron Paul".  I believe in the past that some states have wanted to change their primary dates and weren't allowed to.  I'm tired of states like Iowa and New Hampshire picking candidates for the rest of us.

Some have suggested having all the primaries on the same date.  Meh.  Candidates who do drop out very early were in almost all cases without real monetary support, or they put it all on one state, like Giuliani did in '08.  If Paul or Cruz are viable candidates they will put together a strong campaign chest, and if they can keep from putting their foot in their mouth in the debates, should be able to survive the early primaries.  The west, the east, the south, the midwest all participate in the early primaries. 

I do think the endless debates hurt most of those who really started well but then had to answer questions.  It truly was a circular firing squad.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 06:49:10 pm »
I'm completely missing the argument on the conduct of primaries.  What do the "people" want?  There've been numerous tea party candidates in most primaries both mid-term and presidential.  Six of them are running against Lindsay Graham right now.  I'm slow I understand, but the only thing I hear is about how "we the People" want the party to change the primaries. 

Do you want to take all the money out of the process?  Do you want to change the timing of primaries?  How about not letting any mainstream conservatives vote? 

The only thing I can get out of all this is that if Jeb Bush, Romney, Chris Christie, John Cornyn, Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio, or any one else who might be considered a GOP supported candidate is nominated, then the process is obviously flawed, since no one wants them as the nominee.

I don't have a problem with the individual state primaries as they are. My problem is with the presidential primary alone. I'm sick and tired of a few states picking our nominee for us and personally would greatly prefer returning to the old method of selecting the nominee at the national convention.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 07:10:05 pm »
I don't have a problem with the individual state primaries as they are. My problem is with the presidential primary alone. I'm sick and tired of a few states picking our nominee for us and personally would greatly prefer returning to the old method of selecting the nominee at the national convention.

The old "smoke-filled room".  But wouldn't that make it even easier for a small money-backed block to manipulate the convention?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 07:31:40 pm »
The old "smoke-filled room".  But wouldn't that make it even easier for a small money-backed block to manipulate the convention?

Perhaps it would but it would still be better than what goes on now IMHO.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 10:28:43 pm »
Gee, I come to a different conclusion. I suggest the forum-voters might want to reconsider claims they won't vote, unless they get a candidate so far to the right he will likely lose (Goldwater scenario).

In FACT the GOP has gained state governorships, Senate and Assembly seats recently. The GOP holds a majority in the US House, and is predicted to take the Senate later this year.

That is the opposite from "GOP has a problem." By the way, did you see how well the mainstream GOP did a couple of weeks back, in primaries?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 11:11:20 pm »
Gee, I come to a different conclusion. I suggest the forum-voters might want to reconsider claims they won't vote, unless they get a candidate so far to the right he will likely lose (Goldwater scenario).

In FACT the GOP has gained state governorships, Senate and Assembly seats recently. The GOP holds a majority in the US House, and is predicted to take the Senate later this year.

That is the opposite from "GOP has a problem." By the way, did you see how well the mainstream GOP did a couple of weeks back, in primaries?

You and all you establishment loving buddies keep trying to drag Goldwater into this but everyone knows that NO ONE could have beaten Johnson a single year after a popular president of the United States was assassinated! Not eve Jesus himself could have done that!

We loose when we look just like the opposition and win when we don't! History is pretty clear on that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 11:11:24 pm »
If the quality of the presidents is any indication, the old smoke-filled room didn't have an entirely bad record.  It gave us Lincoln and Coolidge.  On the other hand, the primary system gave us Reagan.  Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

As to the party's current woes, we are one charismatic leader away from being cohesive.  In general, the various factions of the party were united behind Romney, in spite of our reservations.  Had he won, the national party apparatus would be humming along like a machine.  As it is, the party is rudderless.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 12:29:03 am »
If the quality of the presidents is any indication, the old smoke-filled room didn't have an entirely bad record.  It gave us Lincoln and Coolidge.  On the other hand, the primary system gave us Reagan.  Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

As to the party's current woes, we are one charismatic leader away from being cohesive.  In general, the various factions of the party were united behind Romney, in spite of our reservations.  Had he won, the national party apparatus would be humming along like a machine.  As it is, the party is rudderless.

I believe you're on to something.  But unless someone very special comes out of the woodwork, none of the potential candidates I've seen have a lot of charisma.  OTOH, they all have more charisma than Hillary.  And BTW I completely agree with your Romney comment.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 12:40:10 am »
I believe you're on to something.  But unless someone very special comes out of the woodwork, none of the potential candidates I've seen have a lot of charisma.  OTOH, they all have more charisma than Hillary.  And BTW I completely agree with your Romney comment.

Winning the primaries has a way of conferring charisma on the winner once the PR machine has one goal in mind.  Personally, I am hopeful that either Rand Paul or Jeb Bush could step into the leadership role. I can live with either of them.  Ted Cruz?  Not so much.