Author Topic: Hillary's secret weapon? Praise from Republican lawmakers  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Hillary's secret weapon? Praise from Republican lawmakers
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 12:42:20 am »
If the quality of the presidents is any indication, the old smoke-filled room didn't have an entirely bad record.  It gave us Lincoln and Coolidge.  On the other hand, the primary system gave us Reagan.  Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

As to the party's current woes, we are one charismatic leader away from being cohesive.  In general, the various factions of the party were united behind Romney, in spite of our reservations.  Had he won, the national party apparatus would be humming along like a machine.  As it is, the party is rudderless.

Reince, Fail, Repeat.  Until we get a proper Chairman in place with some guts, the party will never pull out of this.  Leadership is essential, and that is the one thing the Party lacks.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 02:15:13 am »

Winning the primaries has a way of conferring charisma on the winner once the PR machine has one goal in mind.  Personally, I am hopeful that either Rand Paul or Jeb Bush could step into the leadership role. I can live with either of them.  Ted Cruz?  Not so much.

Some just exude charisma, and they don't even have to run for office:

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2014/05/16/admiral-mcraven-commencement-speech/
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 02:24:25 am »
MAC wrote above:
[[ Maybe they'll import UKIP.  *hmmmm* ]]

I'd vote for an Americanized version of UKIP in a moment -- certainly before I would vote for many of the current crop of "Republicans". I mean that, I understand the implications, and I do not apologize nor do I regret making such remarks.

The election results in Britain, France, and elsewhere in Western Europe illustrate that it remains possible for an upstart party to upstage the "established" parties.

It seems to be happening there.
I believe it could happen here, as well.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 02:25:33 am »
alicewonders wrote:
[[ My impression is that the GOP has their own agenda.  They claim to have a "big tent", but that is only at election time, and then it's "f**k-you" shut up and go away.  Unfortunately, the "big tent" is full of people that don't really even like each other and are increasingly wondering "why am I here"? ]]

See my post just above....

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:01 am »
MAC wrote above:
[[ I'm completely missing the argument on the conduct of primaries.  What do the "people" want?   ]]

OK, here's an answer for you:

Make the Republican primaries -- ALL OF THEM, EVERYWHERE -- "closed" primaries.

That is to say, no independents voting, no democrats -- ONLY registered Republican voters.

How's that?

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:11 am »
Bigun wrote above:
[[ I'm sick and tired of a few states picking our nominee for us and personally would greatly prefer returning to the old method of selecting the nominee at the national convention. ]]

I kinda agree with you.

Seems there was just as good a chance -- perhaps a better one -- of getting a "winnable" candidate from the smoke-filled rooms, rather than the current system of "Republican primaries".

But no one's going back to that.

Quite the contrary -- I expect that we're going to see a whole string of lousy Pubbie candidates for years to come, chosen as a result of the "system" that is in place now...

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:22 pm »
MAC wrote above:
[[ I'm completely missing the argument on the conduct of primaries.  What do the "people" want?   ]]

OK, here's an answer for you:

Make the Republican primaries -- ALL OF THEM, EVERYWHERE -- "closed" primaries.

That is to say, no independents voting, no democrats -- ONLY registered Republican voters.

How's that?

Fine with me.  I'm a registered Republican.  I'll be voting.  It's the other 75% of y'all here who "claim" to be indies that'll be left out.  Maybe I won't see quite so many one-issue wonders running for office.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 12:46:36 pm »
Fine with me.  I'm a registered Republican.  I'll be voting.  It's the other 75% of y'all here who "claim" to be indies that'll be left out.  Maybe I won't see quite so many one-issue wonders running for office.

Mac, I'm not sure where that 75% figure is coming from, the recent poll?  I believe that almost everyone here retains their Republican registration if they live in a state with closed primary, so that they can vote in them.  I do.  I think the poll result (take them for what they are worth), was more about whether or not people (regardless of party registration) would vote for Jeb Bush.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 12:56:05 pm »
Mac, I'm not sure where that 75% figure is coming from, the recent poll?  I believe that almost everyone here retains their Republican registration if they live in a state with closed primary, so that they can vote in them.  I do.  I think the poll result (take them for what they are worth), was more about whether or not people (regardless of party registration) would vote for Jeb Bush.

Late to the discussion, but the tone of the threads in here for the past year or so easily shows that almost 3 out of 4 posters that engage in 'spirited' debate are not at all happy with the Republican Party.

It can't be denied.

It seems the moniker "SOCONS" really irritates some people.  [I'd like to see a thread debating why that is....LOL]

Look in the mirror folks.  It starts there.  If you are able to treat your vote like a poker chip, and walk away when the Progressive Left continue to choke the last breath from our Republic.....then you should seek professional help.   Drop to your knees and ask yourselves...."What would George Washington do?"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 01:09:44 pm »

You're no doubt right Katz.  I was being a tad facetious because so many here claim to be indies and not linked to any party...well a few Libertarians and American Independence  I guess.  But I also believe in the end, regardless of what we say here, most on this forum would hold their noses and vote for the Republican candidate.

But what goes around comes around.  Remember "Operation Chaos"?

Offline evadR

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 01:29:30 pm »
Operation Chaos
wow..a blast from the past. I do remember that one. At the time I thought it was a great idea.
But, the Benghazi Bitch lost all her appeal and let a muslim named, clean, articulate black man with no discernible negro dialect beat her.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 01:32:59 pm »
Operation Chaos
wow..a blast from the past. I do remember that one. At the time I thought it was a great idea.
But, the Benghazi Bitch lost all her appeal and let a muslim named, clean, articulate black man with no discernible negro dialect beat her.

Operation Chaos......Hannity's "Stop Hillary Express".......in hindsight, maybe not such good ideas.  Be careful what you wish for.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »
Operation Chaos......Hannity's "Stop Hillary Express".......in hindsight, maybe not such good ideas.  Be careful what you wish for.

Hillary and Barack Obama are virtually the same people...politically.

They are both Alinsky warriors.  Hillary started government run healthcare.   if Bill Clinton had the majority in both Houses that Obama enjoyed...we'd have been right here twenty years ago.

Hillary was a known....Obama an "unknown" by the great unwashed.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »
DC Patriot wrote above:
[[ Drop to your knees and ask yourselves...."What would George Washington do?" ]]

Washington assembled an army and started shooting.

What should traditional-minded Euro-Americans do?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:54:22 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2014, 01:54:04 pm »
Late to the discussion, but the tone of the threads in here for the past year or so easily shows that almost 3 out of 4 posters that engage in 'spirited' debate are not at all happy with the Republican Party.

It can't be denied.

It seems the moniker "SOCONS" really irritates some people.  [I'd like to see a thread debating why that is....LOL]

Look in the mirror folks.  It starts there.  If you are able to treat your vote like a poker chip, and walk away when the Progressive Left continue to choke the last breath from our Republic.....then you should seek professional help.   Drop to your knees and ask yourselves...."What would George Washington do?"

I agree, DC.  It can't be denied, and the fact that the GOP has been a big disappointment also can't be denied.  Everything is relative.  And I think because of the fact that we see the other major party going *so far* toward the left, it makes us clamor even more for a true opposing force to counter it.  Physical world example: if I have a bucket half-filled with ice cold water, I need to add really HOT water to it to bring it up to become a bucket of warm water.  I sense a lot of frustration because we are seeing the GOP provide us with lukewarm water that is barely warming up the left's ice water.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »
You're no doubt right Katz.  I was being a tad facetious because so many here claim to be indies and not linked to any party...well a few Libertarians and American Independence  I guess.  But I also believe in the end, regardless of what we say here, most on this forum would hold their noses and vote for the Republican candidate.

But what goes around comes around.  Remember "Operation Chaos"?

I hear you, Mac.  And I guess, my comment on the sub-topic that developed here is that I think all state primaries should be closed.  I don't understand why anyone thinks that letting everyone in the state vote for the GOP nominee makes a lot of sense.  (And, in most states registration is pretty easy, if one wants to drop their party affiliation after voting in a presidential primary, and change it back every 4 years, that isn't all that hard to do!)

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2014, 02:00:03 pm »
Hillary and Barack Obama are virtually the same people...politically.

They are both Alinsky warriors.  Hillary started government run healthcare.   if Bill Clinton had the majority in both Houses that Obama enjoyed...we'd have been right here twenty years ago.

Hillary was a known....Obama an "unknown" by the great unwashed.

Yes.  That is a point that I'm not sure that enough get.  I think that most people here definitely do, but I sense the general public has this queer notion that Hillary would somehow be "better" than 0bama.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2014, 02:04:25 pm »
I agree, DC.  It can't be denied, and the fact that the GOP has been a big disappointment also can't be denied.  Everything is relative.  And I think because of the fact that we see the other major party going *so far* toward the left, it makes us clamor even more for a true opposing force to counter it.  Physical world example: if I have a bucket half-filled with ice cold water, I need to add really HOT water to it to bring it up to become a bucket of warm water.  I sense a lot of frustration because we are seeing the GOP provide us with lukewarm water that is barely warming up the left's ice water.

I'm not so sure about that! Down here in Texas we are cleaning up our OWN house with great vigor! Perhaps those of you in other states might consider following that example!

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,138960.0.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:06:24 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2014, 02:15:06 pm »
I'm not so sure about that! Down here in Texas we are cleaning up our OWN house with great vigor! Perhaps those of you in other states might consider following that example!

No doubt about that, Bigun.  Y'all have the HOT water hose in the bucket!!   :patriot:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 03:38:57 pm »
I hear you, Mac.  And I guess, my comment on the sub-topic that developed here is that I think all state primaries should be closed.  I don't understand why anyone thinks that letting everyone in the state vote for the GOP nominee makes a lot of sense.  (And, in most states registration is pretty easy, if one wants to drop their party affiliation after voting in a presidential primary, and change it back every 4 years, that isn't all that hard to do!)

Certainly one could argue that open primaries cause a lot of mischief especially in an election like 2012 where Obama had no primary opponent.  But I believe Florida is a closed primary state, and I think both McCain and Romney won there.  As an early state it had to influence donors and voters in later primaries.  Anyway it's an interesting topic.  Comes up every four years.

Offline evadR

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 03:00:38 am »

Bigun: I live in Maryland. Where would you suggest I start?  (serious question, no snark intended}
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2014, 03:23:00 am »
Bigun: I live in Maryland. Where would you suggest I start?  (serious question, no snark intended}

And I will answer you honestly!  My not having a firm grasp of the situation in Maryland compels me to say that I don't know.  A quick bit of research tells me that there is a republican apparatus in Maryland so my advice is to get involved at your local level and work like hell!

When I got seriously involved here in Texas politics  (late 80's) there were ZERO republicans holding state wide office and mostly Democrats in both houses of the legislature. Today there are Zero Democrats holding statewide office and both houses of the legislature have huge republican majorities.

It takes time, money , and effort but it CAN be done!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline speekinout

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 03:53:33 am »

evad, I left MD just a few years ago. That state has been so far left for so long that there isn't much to work with. Getting Ehrlich as Gov. for a few years was nothing short of miraculous. I don't know what county you live in, but I'd say if you want any hope of change anytime soon you should volunteer to help Lollar & Timmerman. Everyone who is even slightly to the right will be working for them, and you will find connections you might like. Who knows - maybe someday there might even be 2 GOPers that you can choose between! But for now, work for what is maybe possible.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2014, 04:01:07 am »
evad, I left MD just a few years ago. That state has been so far left for so long that there isn't much to work with. Getting Ehrlich as Gov. for a few years was nothing short of miraculous. I don't know what county you live in, but I'd say if you want any hope of change anytime soon you should volunteer to help Lollar & Timmerman. Everyone who is even slightly to the right will be working for them, and you will find connections you might like. Who knows - maybe someday there might even be 2 GOPers that you can choose between! But for now, work for what is maybe possible.

I'm in Maryland.

Seriously thinking of changing my voter registration to Democrat.

You never know....it could buy me six more months of medical treatment.   No snark intended.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2014, 04:25:07 am »
I'm in Maryland.

Seriously thinking of changing my voter registration to Democrat.

You never know....it could buy me six more months of medical treatment.   No snark intended.

I was a registered dim in MD for most of the time I was there. If you can't vote in the dim primaries, you don't have much to say about who is elected. Of course, I always voted GOP in the general election, but there never was a primary challenge for that party's nomination. I changed to GOP when it looked like Bush could win the presidency, and stayed that way when Ehrlich had a chance to become gov. I wouldn't fault anyone for registering dim in that state, although it does sound to me like Lollar has a chance to win, and I'd certainly like it if he did.