Author Topic: Michelle Obama Moves to Quell School Lunch Revolt  (Read 747 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Michelle Obama Moves to Quell School Lunch Revolt
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:37:17 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/27/Michelle-Obama-Moves-to-Quell-Food-Standards-Revolt

by Charlie Spiering 27 May 2014, 5:18 AM PDT

First Lady Michelle Obama is moving to quell the revolt against the school meal nutrition standards that she helped set in place.

House Republicans are supporting a measure that would allow some school districts to opt out of the standards—if they can prove that it is affecting their school budgets.

In response, Michelle Obama is scheduled to meet with school leaders and experts on nutrition Tuesday to discuss the importance of federal regulation of school meals.

The strict rules, passed in 2010, limit the amount of fat, calories, sugar, and sodium served during school meals and requires more whole grains.

“Mrs. Obama will stress the importance of students, parents, school officials, community leaders, and health advocates coming together to protect and advance the tremendous progress that has been made in schools across our country,” the White House announcement reads.

“The First Lady believes passionately that school lunches have to be healthier and she is prepared to wage a big political fight over this issue,” ABC News reporter Jonathan Karl explained on Good Morning America Tuesday.

The event is part of Michelle Obama's effort to take a bigger role of public engagement on issues.

You’ll see a sustained level of engagement,” one senior administration official told The Hill. “She’ll continue to bring this message to where the parents and kids are.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Michelle Obama Moves to Quell School Lunch Revolt
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »

The First Lady believes passionately that school lunches have to be healthier
Her own meals, however, are whatever the hell she wants them to be, peons.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:22:47 pm »
Michelle Obama to take on school meal critics, as House GOP bill advances
Published May 27, 2014
FoxNews.com
First lady Michelle Obama on Tuesday plans to make a rare foray into a Capitol Hill dispute, using a White House event to rally support for school meal nutrition rules that Republicans are pushing to loosen.

The first lady successfully lobbied for those standards in 2010, and has since become the public face of this and other initiatives aimed at improving the dietary habits of children.

But some schools have complained the rules are too restrictive and costly -- and House Republicans have a new bill aimed at addressing those concerns. An agriculture spending bill approved by a House subcommittee last week would allow schools to waive the standards if they have a net loss on school food programs for a six-month period.

Seeing her nutritional standards under threat, the first lady is hosting a discussion with school leaders on nutrition Tuesday afternoon at the White House. Sam Kass, director of Mrs. Obama's Let's Move initiative to combat childhood obesity, called the GOP bill "a real assault" on administration efforts to make foods healthier for kids.

Kass, who is a White House chef, said the event on Tuesday is an attempt to point out the successes of some schools that have implemented the standards, which were set by the Obama administration and Congress over the past several years.

"These standards are working," he said.

The first lady rarely enters congressional policy debates, despite being a powerful advocate for the president on the campaign trail during the past two presidential elections. But childhood nutrition is her signature issue, and the House bill would aim to undermine the standards she lobbied for.

Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Ala., who wrote the bill, said he was responding to requests from school food directors.

The standards championed by the first lady have been phased in over the past two school years, with more changes coming in 2014. The rules set fat, calorie, sugar and sodium limits on foods in the lunch line and beyond.

While many schools have had success putting the rules in place, others have said they are too restrictive and costly. Schools pushing for changes say limits on sodium and requirements for more whole grains are particularly challenging, while some school officials say kids are throwing away fruits and vegetables that are required.

The Agriculture Department, which administers the rules, has tweaked them along the way to try to help schools that have concerns. The department scrapped limits on the amount of proteins and grains that kids could eat after students complained they were hungry. Last week, USDA announced it would allow some schools to delay serving whole grain pastas just hours after the House subcommittee approved the opt-out language.

School groups have been split. The School Nutrition Association, which represents school nutrition directors and companies that sell food to schools, has lobbied for changes to the standards, saying some are too restrictive.

The national PTA is pushing lawmakers to keep the standards intact.

"At a time when families are working hard to live healthy lives, school meals should be supporting families' efforts, not working against them," PTA President Otha Thornton wrote to members of Congress.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 02:40:12 pm »
Is this a government oriented person or what?  In her mind it is better for kids to go hungry than question a government program.  Do as I say, not as I do, is not an effective way to teach kids something.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 03:35:26 pm »
These food police with Mrs. Obama leading the charge have the assumption that all American kids are fat and need to be on a diet, when the truth is, many kids are underweight and parent struggle to put meet on their bones. And I’m not talking about anorexic kids, just kids who have a high metabolism and don’t add weight. I was that way till my mid 20s, and my son now 12 is also that way, in the bottom 5 percentile and is very very skinny.    He can’t stand the school lunch menu, and refuses to eat any of it. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline markswife

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:10:44 pm »
To much government always leads to bad policy.... Get the heck out of our lives. We don't NEED YOU mooch.. 
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »
These food police with Mrs. Obama leading the charge have the assumption that all American kids are fat and need to be on a diet, when the truth is, many kids are underweight and parent struggle to put meet on their bones. And I’m not talking about anorexic kids, just kids who have a high metabolism and don’t add weight. I was that way till my mid 20s, and my son now 12 is also that way, in the bottom 5 percentile and is very very skinny.    He can’t stand the school lunch menu, and refuses to eat any of it.

Since I know that you feed your son healthy food at home and it is what he is used to, that is one seriously damning indictment of the quality of the school lunches being provided.

Our local primary school pulled out of the borough school meals program completely. The frozen/chilled stuff they were being sent was low quality and tasted like crap. Instead they get a certain amount per student per week and primary source the ingredients, which are then prepared by the dinner ladies and a rotating group of parents/grandparents and students. The older kids (9 and 10 year olds) are encouraged to help out in the food prep and serving, providing their grades and behavior in class are good. They love it!
Best thing the school ever did. Wouldn't be possible without parental involvement though - or the co-operation of a couple of the local supermarkets who don't mind ordering extra and selling to the school at cost.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:36:59 pm »
Should ought to move her a$$ to the stair-stepper.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 09:05:04 pm »

WAIT, they can't do that!!  The Navy is planning to use her hind end as the design for the flight deck of a new type of aircraft carrier. :silly:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:05:29 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Charlespg

Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 11:25:37 pm »
To much government always leads to bad policy.... Get the heck out of our lives. We don't NEED YOU mooch..

:thumbsup:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 11:50:52 pm »

I agree completely but it's NEVER going to happen! Busy bodies like her will NEVER give up their quest to tell the rest of us how to live!

:chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:22:26 am »
Since I know that you feed your son healthy food at home and it is what he is used to, that is one seriously damning indictment of the quality of the school lunches being provided.

Our local primary school pulled out of the borough school meals program completely. The frozen/chilled stuff they were being sent was low quality and tasted like crap. Instead they get a certain amount per student per week and primary source the ingredients, which are then prepared by the dinner ladies and a rotating group of parents/grandparents and students. The older kids (9 and 10 year olds) are encouraged to help out in the food prep and serving, providing their grades and behavior in class are good. They love it!
Best thing the school ever did. Wouldn't be possible without parental involvement though - or the co-operation of a couple of the local supermarkets who don't mind ordering extra and selling to the school at cost.

You have Jamie Oliver pulling this sh_t on your side of the Atlantic.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 12:27:18 am »
For starters, Mooshelle has never been elected to any office, and is decidedly NOT a co-President with her husband, so anything she chooses to do is voluntary and carries absolutely no weight whatsoever, nor does the Constitution assign any official or un-official responsibilities to the spouse of the President.

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 12:37:27 am »
:happyhappy:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 01:02:44 am »
You have Jamie Oliver pulling this sh_t on your side of the Atlantic.

Yep - and there was a massive push back on him, as you well remember. Not surprised, really. The thing is - you can make healthy meals that kids actually want to eat. It is really not that difficult.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink