Author Topic: Guess What Word The BBC Is Censoring  (Read 309 times)

rangerrebew

Guess What Word The BBC Is Censoring
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:32:41 am »
Guess What Word The BBC Is Censoring

Posted By Chuck Ross On 9:31 PM 05/26/2014 In | No Comments

The British Broadcasting Corporation censored a completely innocuous word in a recent documentary, just in case people would find it offensive.

The word: “girl.”

In a documentary ahead of the Commonwealth Games, which will take place in Glasgow, Scotland in July, host Mark Beaumont interviewed 19 year-old judo champion Cynthia Rahming and her family.

Rahming and Beaumont grappled, with the fighter taking the 31 year-old host to the mat.

“I am not sure I can live that down — being beaten by a 19-year-old girl,” he said in the documentary.

The episode originally aired in April, but in a re-run, the BBC removed the line containing the apparently offensive description of a young female.

Beaumont was apparently unaware of the editorial decision.

When asked on Twitter about the change, he said “Not sure 0- I just saw that myself and was wondering the same thing,” according to The U.K.’s Telegraph.

The edit didn’t seem to bother Beaumont, though he disagreed with the BBC’s interpretation of the word.

“Great to hear you enjoyed the coverage. Thanks. Maybe the editor though it was sexist — which it wasn’t. I’m not worried about it.”

Being called ‘girl” didn’t bother the judo star either.

“I wasn’t offended — I didn’t find it sexist,” Rahming told the U.K. Daily Mail.

“They had more time to edit it the second time. Mark didn’t mean to cause offence. But the word ‘girl’ was taken out just in case it did,” a BBC spokeswoman said, according to The Telegraph.

The public broadcasting station has gone to great lengths to avoid certain groups in the past.

Earlier this year, the BBC’s political editor, Nick Robinson, admitted that the outlet made a “terrible mistake” in its coverage of the immigration debate in the 1990s and 2000s.

Robinson said that the station’s “deep liberal bias” caused BBC chiefs to stifle the debate and avoid critics of immigration because it would “unleash some terrible side of the British public.”

In March, the BBC was accused of kowtowing to political correctness after it decided to avoid airing a discussion on the topic of homosexuality in Islam, at the request of a local mosque.

“We were going to debate that question, but today, after speaking to the mosque, they have expressed deep concerns with having this discussion here… so we’ll move on to our next question,” said the host of the debate program, which is called “Free Speech.”

And earlier this month, a 32-year veteran DJ of the BBC, David Lowe, was canned after he accidentally played a version of the song “The Sun Has Got His Hat On” that contained a word offensive to blacks.

Follow Chuck on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/26/guess-what-word-the-bbc-is-censoring/