Author Topic: Condi Rice and the Graduation Gag Order  (Read 173 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Condi Rice and the Graduation Gag Order
« on: May 25, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »

Support the USO

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Condi Rice and the Graduation Gag Order
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:33:45 PM »
I read an article recently that endorsed forgiving all Federal student loan debt...at least a trillion dollars of it....and showed how cutting all of the money that filters into these colleges would pay for the debt forgiveness in five years.

Five years.  Cut all of the research grants and other program money that is locked into the Federal budget and we might actually begin to clean house in our universities.  If forced to stand on their own and subsist on the free market rate tuition they could charge, three fourths of the tenured faculty would be out on their asses and the ridiculous agitation would come to an end.

Offline speekinout

Re: Condi Rice and the Graduation Gag Order
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
I read an article recently that endorsed forgiving all Federal student loan debt...at least a trillion dollars of it....and showed how cutting all of the money that filters into these colleges would pay for the debt forgiveness in five years.

Five years.  Cut all of the research grants and other program money that is locked into the Federal budget and we might actually begin to clean house in our universities.  If forced to stand on their own and subsist on the free market rate tuition they could charge, three fourths of the tenured faculty would be out on their asses and the ridiculous agitation would come to an end.

I don't think so. If we gave everyone a free college stint - and that's what forgiving the loans would do - the tuition would just go up to cover the money they didn't get in grants. And even more young people would spend years and many dollars getting degrees that are useless - what is a PhD in women's studies worth in the marketplace?

You can't assume that we would just pay off old debts and not keep doing it for the next group of students. Gov't giveaways never stop.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf