Author Topic: Karl Rove: Jeb Bush 'Deepest Thinker on Our Side'  (Read 1528 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Karl Rove: Jeb Bush 'Deepest Thinker on Our Side'
« on: May 25, 2014, 01:36:07 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=573252

Newsmax
Karl Rove: Jeb Bush 'Deepest Thinker on Our Side'
Sunday, May 25, 2014 07:38 AM

By: Elliot Jager

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush is intent on being "the anti-George W. Bush" — presenting himself as an advice-taking intellectual and a hands-on executive determined to maximize governmental efficiency, The New York Times reports.

To run and win in the 2016 presidential race, Bush, age 61, needs to differentiate himself from his older brother's White House legacy.

He has staked out a position as someone who values ideas and is eager to seek advice for solving public policy dilemmas. Bush has co-authored a book on immigration and has a reputation as a vociferous reader of nonfiction and journals dealing with ideas and politics.

While George W. Bush, 67, went with gut feelings and wasn't known to dwell over dense political tomes, Jeb Bush lets it be known he is a cerebral technocrat willing to read the small print of legislation.

Republican strategist Karl Rove refers to Bush as the "deepest thinker on our side."

Tea party-aligned conservatives and libertarians are put off by his lack of antagonism to government itself.

"I don't know that he will ever win over the limited-government conservatives," said GOP strategist Greg Mueller. "There is skepticism that maybe Jeb Bush wants too much government in people’s lives."

For his part, Bush worries that the party has become branded as "anti-immigrant, anti-woman, anti-science, anti-gay, anti-worker," according to the Times.

Philip Howard, one of the authors Bush reads and has consulted says, "He's not interested in proving some sort of conservative point that less government is better, though he might believe that. In all of my dealings with him, he's interested in how you make government deliver effectively. What are the incentives? How do you hold people accountable." Howard told the Times that such discussions are necessary for leaders to engage in.

When Bush served as Florida governor from 1999 to 2007, he often set aside time for reading, thinking, and discussion. Scholars, authors, and statesmen were invited to present seminars. He recommended reading material for his staff including a rediscovered literary novel from 1937, Zora Neale Hurston's "Their Eyes Were Watching God," about an African American woman confronting violent racism in early 1900s Florida.

As governor, Bush also worked to conserve the Everglades by having the state buy up land and securing it as a public trust even as he privatized the delivery of certain state services.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Karl Rove: Jeb Bush 'Deepest Thinker on Our Side'
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:38:49 am »
Title:
[[ Karl Rove: Jeb Bush 'Deepest Thinker on Our Side' ]]

Boy, are we in the "deep stuff" this time around.

The deep do-do, that is!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:51:15 am »
For his part, Bush worries that the party has become branded as "anti-immigrant, anti-woman, anti-science, anti-gay, anti-worker," according to the Times.

The deep thinker would be well advised to take a look at the EU election results. 

And then look for employment elsewhere.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:08:44 am »
"I don't know that he will ever win over the limited-government conservatives," said GOP strategist Greg Mueller. "There is skepticism that maybe Jeb Bush wants too much government in people’s lives."

If Gov. Bush win's the GOP nomination, I am not worried that he won't get conservatives.  I'm worried he won't attract moderates with his last name.

Philip Howard, one of the authors Bush reads and has consulted says, "He's not interested in proving some sort of conservative point that less government is better, though he might believe that. In all of my dealings with him, he's interested in how you make government deliver effectively. What are the incentives? How do you hold people accountable." Howard told the Times that such discussions are necessary for leaders to engage in.

Right now American voters are hurting.  How much they are hurting is debatable.  But what is not debatable is that voters who are hurting expect the government to do something about it.  It doesn't have to work, but some legislation passed so the politician can say "I helped pass the Economic Recovery Act of 2014 in the House but Majority Leader Reid won't let it come to the Senate floor.  That bill is designed to create jobs, support entrepreneurs, protect our market share of world trade, cut red tape, and ease the burden on middle class taxpayers."  The GOP will be in a position to address the concerns of voters in 2014 when we take the Senate.   There will be lots of new Republicans who lost their jobs because of Obamacare.  Or lost their doctors, or medicine, or insurance altogether.  Or saw there out of pocket expenses skyrocket.  There will be young voters who turned 27.  There will be old voters who are scared of what Obamacare will cover.  And everybody who lost a loved one because of their healthcare or lack thereof will blame Obamacare.  It is logical to assume that many of the people who receive a benefit from Obamacare would likely have voted rat before it was passed.

There is one party that has said from the beginning that Obamacare was unworkable.  We tried to stop it and tried to mitigate it's damage.  2014 will be a great year for Republicans.  If they can keep the message Jobs, Economy, Obamacare.

"Anti-immigrant, anti-woman, anti-science, anti-gay, anti-worker" rightly or wrongly are perceptions of many voters.  They are distractions from my recommended core message of jobs, the economy, and Obamacare.  Those distractions need to be nullified by reaching out and compromising to achieve at least some symbolic gesture if not genuine legislative action to solve the problem.

I like to see that Bush recognizes this perception. 

Offline raml

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »
He won't get conservatives why you think that I don't know Bush's are hardly conservative and never were. What we need is a doer in office not a thinker we have a thinker now and all he does is think about what ever his little brain can and then stirs up trouble or creates scandals.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:42:35 pm »
At the moment, I don't care if someone is a doer or a thinker. I want someone who commands respect in his or her own person. Who can make a decision and stick to it, rather than some pathetic excuses and BS. One who looks at that plaque - "The buck stops here" - and lives up to it.

We tried "The smartest man in the room." He can't hold a candle to the guy who just gets on with it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:51:19 pm »
He won't get conservatives why you think that I don't know Bush's are hardly conservative and never were. What we need is a doer in office not a thinker we have a thinker now and all he does is think about what ever his little brain can and then stirs up trouble or creates scandals.
If Ione has a choice between a 10% conservative and 75% conservative, what is so difficult about this question?

America will NOT vote for 90% conservative. Not in 1964 when Goldwater got destroyed, and not now either.

The GOP is NOT going to run Mr. 90% conservative, to get the fringe votes. For every fringe vote they gain, they lose more from the center than they gain.

The 2013 ACU ratings for House democrats is 14% and Republicans in 76%

The 2013 ACU ratings for Senate democrats is 7% and Republicans is 77%

That is reality. Not voting, or voting for fringe 3rd party losers, in order to punish the GOP,  leaves one outside the decision making process.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:30:51 am »
If Ione has a choice between a 10% conservative and 75% conservative, what is so difficult about this question?

America will NOT vote for 90% conservative. Not in 1964 when Goldwater got destroyed, and not now either.

The GOP is NOT going to run Mr. 90% conservative, to get the fringe votes. For every fringe vote they gain, they lose more from the center than they gain.

That is reality. Not voting, or voting for fringe 3rd party losers, in order to punish the GOP,  leaves one outside the decision making process.

And Jeb Bush will not win in 2016, and probably not in 2020 either, and that is reality.  If the GOP is stupid enough to nominate him I will, of course, vote for him, but I will not relish that vote and I will fully expect a replay of 2008.

Jeb Bush will not win, period.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:36:42 am »

And Jeb Bush will not win in 2016, and probably not in 2020 either, and that is reality.  If the GOP is stupid enough to nominate him I will, of course, vote for him, but I will not relish that vote and I will fully expect a replay of 2008.

Jeb Bush will not win, period.
I didn't see Bush anywhere in my post. I DO argue that a winner from the Republican Party will not be from the far right.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 02:40:19 am »
I didn't see Bush anywhere in my post. I DO argue that a winner from the Republican Party will not be from the far right.

Considering the subject of the thread, I don't think it was an out-of-place remark, and since you didn't specifically mention Bush, the comment wasn't aimed at you nor was it meant to be a criticism of your remarks.

On the point of conservatives, however, I really have no idea what the heck a "conservative" is - that term has been so overused by so many people for so many things that only hyphenated conservatives make even a shred of sense - the only fairly clear group is the so-called SoCons, and i quite agree that a SoCon, as such, will never win.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »

You don't really believe that the GOP, based on what they've done [not what the ACU rates them] are going to allow us little folks in on the decision making [and nominee selectees] do you?

And as for Moby Rove, his side hasn't been Our Side for quite a while.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 06:53:40 am »
You don't really believe that the GOP, based on what they've done [not what the ACU rates them] are going to allow us little folks in on the decision making [and nominee selectees] do you?

And as for Moby Rove, his side hasn't been Our Side for quite a while.

I have a voice in government.  It is the GOP.  I vote for my candidates in primaries and general elections.  I don't feel little.  I think my party speaks for millions of people.

Tonight in Texas about 6% of their GOP voters picked candidates in 3 congressional districts.  Their GOP Lt Governor candidate was decided by about 2,000 votes.  They all made their voice heard and the one who got the most votes won.

I don't understand why some people think they should get to pick everybody else's candidate even though their opinion isn't popular enough to fit within one of the 2 major parties?  I think I needs to convince other people to vote for my candidate, and unpopular opinions don't win votes.