Author Topic: Levin: Senators Wanting to Change Redskins' Name Should 'Pony Up a Billion and a Half Dollars and Buy the Team'  (Read 316 times)

rangerrebew

Levin: Senators Wanting to Change Redskins' Name Should 'Pony Up a Billion and a Half Dollars and Buy the Team'

May 23, 2014 - 8:25 AM

On Thursday, radio host Mark Levin reacted to a letter written by Senate Democrats in an attempt to pressure the National Football League to force the Washington Redskins to change their name.

Levin suggests that if the senators want to name a football team, they should buy one:

"The United States Senate, which will not take its foot off the throat of the economy - millions and millions of people who are looking for jobs - the United States Senate, which is useless, if you ask me. Well, fifty of them got together, all Democrats, and, they wrote a letter. Did you know they could write? And they've now sent it off, I guess to the league, demanding that the Washington Redskins change the team name.

"I have an idea: If those 50 Democrat senators want to get rid of the name "Redskins," then why don’t they pony up about a billion and a half dollars and buy the team and change it?"

Levin was reacting to Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), who took to the Senate floor yesterday to push for more senators add their signatures to a letter supported by 50 Senate Democrats. The letter urges NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to change the name of the Washington Redskins.

“Today, we urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports,” wrote the senators. “It’s time for the NFL to endorse a name change for the Washington, D.C. football team.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/eric-scheiner/levin-senators-wanting-change-redskins-name-should-pony-billion-and-half
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:22:30 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline andy58-in-nh

I personally have no trouble with the current name of Washington, D.C.'s NFL franchise.

That is, I have no problem with it other than the fact that one would be hard-pressed to find within the Diamond District that delineates the bounds of our nation's Capitol a single member of a tribal clan native to America's shores at the time of its "invasion" by European settlers.   

It would be more fitting, I think, for a team representative of The District to adopt a moniker more reflective of its current denizens. How about the "Washington Bureaucrats"? Or the "Lobbyists" "Go, Lobbyists, go!!!" It would be a great deal, seriously; a "win-win" proposition, if you know what I mean (wink wink).

Or, how about: "The D.C. Elite"? Simple. Elegant. Classy.  And they'd already have the salaries to match.

So please give it some thought and get back to me.  Call my office and we'll do lunch at the Gridiron.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:23:41 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn