Author Topic: Skirts Should Be a Normal Choice…for Both Women and Men  (Read 1504 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Skirts Should Be a Normal Choice…for Both Women and Men

Schoolboys in France stirred up gender norms when they eschewed pants last week. But men in skirts shouldn’t be a provocative sight…it should be a choice as normal as women in pants.

Last Friday, male students and teachers in Nantes, France launched a campaign to fight the sexism that is plaguing societies across the world through their clothing. The 'Ce que soulève la jupe' (or ‘Lift the Skirt’) movement encouraged boys across 27 of the northwest city’s schools to sport skirts to class instead of trousers.

“We noticed that in a lot of high schools in our region, there are lots of cases of sexism and discrimination, so we thought we should do something to change that, and so we came up with the idea,” the campaign’s organizer, Arthur Moinet, told EuroNews.

Conservative citizens, however, called the skirt-wearing boys “scandalous.” Olivier Vial, president of the conservative UNI party spoke out, saying, “We’ll do any old nonsense in the name of equality…This move is inspired by the Day of the Skirt, whose original aim was to allow women to express their femininity in environments where it was often difficult. But this is just denying feminine and masculine identity.”

While Moinet—and the boys who participated—should be applauded for their efforts to show solidarity and raise awareness for the discrimination faced by women, the response uncovered another form of social discrimination—t

more at:   http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/22/skirts-should-be-a-normal-choice-for-both-women-and-men.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Skirts Should Be a Normal Choice…for Both Women and Men
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 11:02:09 am »
I just post em........ :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:22:00 am »
It makes sense. This way, the French can run away faster the next time they are invaded.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:34:27 am »
It makes sense. This way, the French can run away faster the next time they are invaded.

....or when they urinate out of fear, it would be not so much of a 'problem'.   LOL!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 12:04:49 pm »

Are you sure about that? If we checked your closet what would we find? Hmm?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »
When a man wears it, it's not a skirt. It's a kilt.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 01:35:19 pm »

Are you sure about that? If we checked your closet what would we find? Hmm?

Funny you should mention that AC - from another thread - DC was clearly ahead of his time in fashion trends!

"The GOPBR Official Throw Back Thursday Thread"

What can I say?  It was Halloween!  LOL!

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »

Hey!   They told me it was Halloween!  LOL!

....didn't realize just how 'poor' we were back then.    :laugh:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 02:06:51 pm »
Do sarongs count? Usually wear one of those around the house if we have company.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 02:16:39 pm »
Hey!   They told me it was Halloween!  LOL!

....didn't realize just how 'poor' we were back then.    :laugh:

Don't think of it as "poor" - think of it as 'fashion-forward'!

:tongue2:

By the way, we always got to be "hobos" for Halloween - talk about a cheap outfit!  I wanted to be a Princess!   8888crybaby

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:18:55 pm »
Do sarongs count? Usually wear one of those around the house if we have company.

Yes, I believe that sarongs do count.  It's nice that you dress up for company.   :whistle:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 02:41:04 pm »
Yes, I believe that sarongs do count.  It's nice that you dress up for company.   :whistle:

Well - one must be polite.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:43:32 pm »

If all the skirts are white, they won't need a flag. Just a French - German dictionary.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 10:31:47 pm »
Nothin' sarong with that!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 10:59:36 pm »

Now don't skirt the issue.  :laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 12:36:12 am »

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 01:27:21 am »
Last Friday, male students and teachers in Nantes, France launched a campaign to fight the sexism that is plaguing societies across the world through their clothing. The 'Ce que soulève la jupe' (or ‘Lift the Skirt’) movement encouraged boys across 27 of the northwest city’s schools to sport skirts to class instead of trousers.

:bigsilly:

please explain how that works