Author Topic: Our masters in the federal bureaucracy scoff at paying taxes  (Read 973 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Our masters in the federal bureaucracy scoff at paying taxes

May 23, 2014 Thomas Lifson

They live off the taxes you and I pay, but don’t bother paying their own taxes. I am talking about the 318,462 federal employees who owe an average of $10,391 each in back taxes. TRhere is absolutely no reason to tolerate this behavior, but it remains almost impossible to fire a federal employee, as demonstrated by VA scandal and Democrats’ efforts to torpedo the bill which would enable the firing of employees there.

USA Today has the story:

Federal employees owe a total of $3.3 billion in back taxes to the federal government, according to Internal Revenue Service data released Thursday.

In all, 318,462 federal employees owed back taxes as of last Sept. 30 — an increase of 2.6% from the previous year. (snip)

The highest rates of tax delinquency are at small federal agencies dealing with civil rights and the disabled: The National Council on Disability (11.54%), the Committee for Purchase from People Who Are Blind (10%) and the Civil Rights Commission (9.52%).

Outside the Treasury Department, the most conscientious taxpayers are active-duty military personnel, who have a delinquency rate of just 1.7%.

It figures that the civil rights folks, possibly the most politicized of all federal agencies, have contempt fort heir own responsibilities.

The GOP has a major campaign issue in the arrogant and unaccountable federal bureaucracy. Because their unions support the Democrats so heavily, it is time to fasten the Democrats to the bureaucrats and run against them.

http://www.americanthinker.com/assets/3rd_party/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/05/our_masters_in_the_federal_bureaucracy_scoff_at_paying_taxes.html
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: Our masters in the federal bureaucracy scoff at paying taxes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 03:17:31 pm »
Couldn't happen if the Fairtax were the law of the land!

http://fairtax.org

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:25:12 pm »

Well, as much as I would like to see a consumption tax in place of income, you gotta admit, the logic you are using is similar to what the left does with the gun issue. 

We should always blame the bad guys, not the tools of that misbehavior.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:21:39 pm »
Well, as much as I would like to see a consumption tax in place of income, you gotta admit, the logic you are using is similar to what the left does with the gun issue. 

We should always blame the bad guys, not the tools of that misbehavior.

Are you disputing the FACT that the behavior the article posted above speaks of would be impossible if the Fairtax were the law of the land?

If so you are COMPLETELY wrong!

How you can equate an inordinate fear of inanimate objects (guns) with telling the truth about an instrument of the government created by that government (the income tax) is frankly beyond me!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:22:54 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:02:03 pm »
Are you disputing the FACT that the behavior the article posted above speaks of would be impossible if the Fairtax were the law of the land?

If so you are COMPLETELY wrong!

How you can equate an inordinate fear of inanimate objects (guns) with telling the truth about an instrument of the government created by that government (the income tax) is frankly beyond me!

WADR Bigun, breaking the law is breaking the law.  The left doesn't like guns, so they use the guns as the issue, not the lawbreaker.  The right doesn't like the IRS or the tax code, so they use that as the issue.  If the analogy isn't to your liking, how about drug dealers?  Is the problem drugs and drug laws or the criminal activities of the drug dealers?  How about the immigration laws? 

I'm no fan of the US income tax system, but it's still the law and until it's changed, failure to pay taxes is a violation of that law.  Do we blame the law or the bureaucrats who owe $3.3 billion in back taxes?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 06:15:41 pm »
WADR Bigun, breaking the law is breaking the law.  The left doesn't like guns, so they use the guns as the issue, not the lawbreaker.  The right doesn't like the IRS or the tax code, so they use that as the issue.  If the analogy isn't to your liking, how about drug dealers?  Is the problem drugs and drug laws or the criminal activities of the drug dealers?  How about the immigration laws? 

I'm no fan of the US income tax system, but it's still the law and until it's changed, failure to pay taxes is a violation of that law.  Do we blame the law or the bureaucrats who owe $3.3 billion in back taxes?

I'm not disputing that these people need to be prosecuted for breaking the law. I'm just pointing out that they would not be able to violate the law in this way if the fairtax were law instead of what we have now.

IMHO Drug dealers are largely a symptom of the same problem! When you have a tax system that literally SCREAMS "earn illegitimate income! You don't have to pay taxes on that!" Beyond that, The drug LAWS themselves exacerbate the problem rather than working to solving it!

I don't care WHAT law you decide to focus on the president's oath REQUIRE him to enforce them! NOT just the parts of them he likes.   When that doesn't happen there can be no respect for the law!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 06:33:46 pm »
I'm not disputing that these people need to be prosecuted for breaking the law. I'm just pointing out that they would not be able to violate the law in this way if the fairtax were law instead of what we have now.

Not exactly.  The Fairtax depends on collections by the seller and honest reporting.  Sales tax fraud exists today.  The Fairtax would simply transfer tax paying responsibilities, not end fraud.  Almost every law on the books both state and federal has its supporters and detractors. 

And remember, I agree with you on the subject of the federal income tax. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 06:41:57 pm »
Not exactly.  The Fairtax depends on collections by the seller and honest reporting.  Sales tax fraud exists today.  The Fairtax would simply transfer tax paying responsibilities, not end fraud.  Almost every law on the books both state and federal has its supporters and detractors. 

And remember, I agree with you on the subject of the federal income tax.

You and I both know that there is no PERFECT anything but we sure as hell can do a LOT better in the area of taxation than we are doing today!

There is no need whatever to have a system that requires private citizens to have any interaction at all with the government in order to pay their taxes. NONE!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 07:10:10 pm »

No offense, but that Fairtax website is overly complex, and seriously out of date. For example it states that a residential mortgage interest rate is 7% when in fact new mortgages today are under 4.5% and have been so for long enough, that the website Fairtax should be updated and corrected.

That type of carelessness alone, makes me doubt how thoroughly the concept is developed.

Not long ago, we listened to the "9-9-9" business as well, and that too turned out to be partially developed, at best.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:21:12 pm »
No offense, but that Fairtax website is overly complex, and seriously out of date. For example it states that a residential mortgage interest rate is 7% when in fact new mortgages today are under 4.5% and have been so for long enough, that the website Fairtax should be updated and corrected.

That type of carelessness alone, makes me doubt how thoroughly the concept is developed.

Not long ago, we listened to the "9-9-9" business as well, and that too turned out to be partially developed, at best.

Thank you for the constructive criticism on the website! I happen to agree with you that it needs a through makeover but you are quite wrong about the bill itself! I would venture to say that the fairtax bill (Hr25/S122) is the most thoroughly thought through bill ever introduced before congress and there is a TON of peer reviewed research to supports that.

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=view_research
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:28:38 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:18:01 pm »
Thank you for the constructive criticism on the website! I happen to agree with you that it needs a through makeover but you are quite wrong about the bill itself! I would venture to say that the fairtax bill (Hr25/S122) is the most thoroughly thought through bill ever introduced before congress and there is a TON of peer reviewed research to supports that.

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=view_research

I'm curious my friend.  Do you ever see any path toward that goal?  Even if the GOP took over both houses with veto proof majorities, the move would be toward a simpler income tax such as that proposed by the Simpson/Bowles Commission or the Ryan plan.  Would Congress ever give up the most powerful tool they have?  Doubt it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 12:55:00 am »
I'm curious my friend.  Do you ever see any path toward that goal?  Even if the GOP took over both houses with veto proof majorities, the move would be toward a simpler income tax such as that proposed by the Simpson/Bowles Commission or the Ryan plan.  Would Congress ever give up the most powerful tool they have?  Doubt it.

ABSOLUTELY! In fact I'm absolutely certain that it will happen!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:02:37 am »
Leona Helmsley told us decades ago. She said it outloud.

Quote: "Taxes are for the 'little people'."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:18:18 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »
Federal employees owe a total of $3.3 billion in back taxes to the federal government, according to Internal Revenue Service data released Thursday.

Garnish their wages or throw them in jail. 

Offline olde north church

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 04:02:08 pm »
Garnish their wages or throw them in jail.

Yeah, rotsa ruck!  Now shut up and pay your taxes!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.