Author Topic: Mavericks owner Mark Cuban offers apology to Trayvon Martin's family [over] 'black kid in a hoodie' remark  (Read 511 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban offers apology to Trayvon Martin's family after making 'black kid in a hoodie' remark

Speaking about the Donald Sterling scandal with the Clippers, and how the country has evolved in terms of race relations, Cuban touched on a hot topic when he said, 'We’re all prejudice in one way or another. If I see a black kid in a hoodie, and it’s late at night, I’m walking to the other side of the street.'

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban came under fire Thursday for comments he made about race at a business conference in Nashville this week.

Speaking about racism and bigotry in society in the aftermath of the Donald Sterling controversy, Cuban said that “We’re all prejudice in one way or another.”

He then said, “If I see a black kid in a hoodie, and it’s late at night, I’m walking to the other side of the street. If on that side of the street there’s a guy that has tattoos all over his face — white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere — I’m walking back to the other side of the street.”

The "black kid in a hoodie" remark led to comparisons to the Trayvon Martin slaying, something Cuban apologized for on Twitter later Thursday.

"In hindsight I should have used different examples. I didn't consider the Trayvon Martin family, and I apologize to them for that. Beyond apologizing to the Martin family, I stand by the words and the substance of the interview,"  I think that helping people improve their lives, helping people engage with people they may fear or not understand, and helping people realize that while we all may have our prejudices and bigotries, we have to learn that it's an issue that we have to control. that it's part of my responsibility as an entrepreneur to try to solve it.?

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/cuban-prejudice-article-1.1801985

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This is another wasted opportunity that now becomes a slight against Mrs. Martin.

What Cuban should have also said is this.....

'When I made those remarks, I wasn't thinking of you.   I wasn't thinking of Trayvon.  If you're slighted, too bad.

Mr. and Mrs. Martin....if you yourselves were walking down a dark street and a black kid in a hoodie is walking toward you,  you'd cross the street too!   And if you said you wouldn't you're lying! 

Mr. Martin be pulling you be the arm!"

But he didn't.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

"...  Even Rev. Jesse Jackson once said, 'I hate to admit it, but I have reached a stage in my life that if I am walking down a dark street late at night and I see that the person behind me is white, I subconsciously feel relieved.' ..."
Larry Elder writing at Townhall 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org