Author Topic: New York radio hosts fired for transgender remarks  (Read 281 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
New York radio hosts fired for transgender remarks
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
May 22, 3:16 PM EDT

New York radio hosts fired for transgender remarks

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- Two upstate New York radio hosts have been fired over their on-air comments about Rochester's decision to cover gender reassignment surgery for city employees.

Entercom Rochester on Thursday announced the firings of Kimberly Ray and Barry Beck from WBZA, calling their comments "hateful" and saying they don't represent the station.

Ray referred to someone seeking gender reassignment surgery as "a nut job." Beck equated the issue to having the city pay for breast enhancement or liposuction for a mentally ill woman.

The discussion on their "Breakfast Buzz" show Wednesday had generated 4,000 signatures by Thursday on a removal petition.

Phone numbers for the two were unlisted and they couldn't be reached for comment Thursday.

Beginning Jan. 1, Rochester will cover surgeries and counseling related to gender reassignment.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FIRINGS_TRANSGENDER_COMMENTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-05-22-15-16-41
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:46:01 PM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
Re: New York radio hosts fired for transgender remarks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
Oh, the irony of a lobby built on the premise that you must accept "who you are" that openly harbors and allies with a group of people who don't accept who they are.

This is not far from where I'm at. I never actually heard a show from them, but I do know they've been on that station for over a decade, through a couple of different formats. I wonder if this is a ruse to get rid of the two-person morning show and replace them with a cheaper one-person shift.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:02:58 PM by jmyrlefuller »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
God help us ... we've lost our collective minds.
"January 20th 2017 will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again."  --  President Donald J. Trump

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
Many talk show hosts have pretty wide ranging scope for their on-air remarks. Here in greater Lost Angeles, we have one station with big listener stats, with Limbo until recently. 640 am KFI

Another with Levin, etc.

But often, a personality goes beyond the tastes of the station owner, and the owner usually has a clause to terminate the personality "at will."

Joking about transgender people apparently triggered that boundary, here.

A topic which might likewise trigger a boundary: joking about Mothers Against Drunk Drivers," which I have read some pretty bizzare things on "conservative" forums.

The station owners is within his rights, to stop employing people who violate good taste.

These jokesters ought to look up "intersex" and get a physiology and biology lesson. That would be a sub-category under transgender, for example--an individual born different, at no fault of themselves.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
These jokesters ought to look up "intersex" and get a physiology and biology lesson. That would be a sub-category under transgender, for example--an individual born different, at no fault of themselves.
I think "intersex," a verifiable biological condition with numerous causes (including genetic, such as Kleinfelter syndrome), is something distinct from what the duo in question is talking about here, despite the LGBT lobby's efforts to conflate the two (and conflate those with the totally distinct issue of sexual preferences).

Transgenderism is simply a belief that one is something he or she is, in fact, not. It is one specific (and persistent) manifestation of denial.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf