Author Topic: 50 senators call for Redskins name change  (Read 787 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
50 senators call for Redskins name change
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:33:17 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/206918-50-senators-urge-redskins-name-change

May 22, 2014, 09:39 am
50 senators call for Redskins name change

By Mario Trujillo

Fifty Democratic senators are pushing the NFL to change the name of the Washington Redskins.

In a letter sent Thursday to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday, the group urged him to follow the lead of the NBA in punishing Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling for making racially insensitive remarks.

"The despicable comments made by Mr. Sterling have opened up a national conversation about race relations," said the letter spearheaded by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.). "We believe this conversation is an opportunity for the NFL to take action to remove the racial slur from the name of one of its marquee franchises."

Reid and other Democratic leaders have long called for a name change, but the letter signals the largest collective call in Congress.

The senators pointed to a number of federal laws that protect Native Americans. And they lamented the "racial slur" that Native Americans are made to watch on Sundays.

"Every Sunday during football season, the Washington, D.C. football team mocks their culture," the senators said.

"The NFL can no longer ignore this and perpetuate the use of this name as anything but what it is: a racial slur. We urge the NFL to formally support and push for a name change for the Washington football team," they added.

Only five Democratic senators did not sign the letter, including both Virginia senators, Mark Warner and Tim Kaine. Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.), a centrist lawmaker who is locked in a tough reelection fight, also did not sign the letter, along with Sens. Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.).
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: 50 senators call for Redskins name change
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:47:46 pm »

Only five Democratic senators did not sign the letter, including both Virginia senators, Mark Warner and Tim Kaine. Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.), a centrist lawmaker who is locked in a tough reelection fight, also did not sign the letter, along with Sens. Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.).

All politics... all the time...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:49:57 pm »
Isn't it so immensely reassuring to know that all the serious business in the Senate has been dealt with?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »
I call for the scalping of 50 Senators.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »

For some reason, I always think of Ned Beatty when I see references to any 'U. S. Senator'...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 03:39:42 pm »
I call for the scalping of 50 Senators.
Works for me (but I won't complain if Joe Manchin is included in the group of scalpees).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 04:15:34 pm »
Isn't it so immensely reassuring to know that all the serious business in the Senate has been dealt with?

yah...nothing better to do with their time??  In any case it will not happen.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 04:16:52 pm »
For some reason, I always think of Ned Beatty when I see references to any 'U. S. Senator'...

Excellent flick!   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 05:02:15 pm »
Wow...................... **nononono* :nometalk: