Author Topic: Is It Time for Conservatives to Ditch the Tea Party?  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Once-Ler

• How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Trump
Is It Time for Conservatives to Ditch the Tea Party?
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:38:28 AM »
"Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans."  -  President Donald J Trump

Does anybody really want to throw out good, educated and accomplished young people who have jobs, some serving in the military? Really!.....
...They have been in our country for many years through no fault of their own - brought in by parents at young age. Plus BIG border security
       Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump 5:35 AM - Sep 14, 2017

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
Re: Is It Time for Conservatives to Ditch the Tea Party?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
And continue to be oppressed? Heck no!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
Changing views and minds is a marathon, not a sprint.  I'm not much about symbolic victories and McConnell should be sh*tting himself that a virtual political  nobody captured 35% of the vote agains the Senate Minority Leader.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
Changing views and minds is a marathon, not a sprint.  I'm not much about symbolic victories and McConnell should be sh*tting himself that a virtual political  nobody captured 35% of the vote agains the Senate Minority Leader.

What you said ONC - Yes!  YES!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »

If I've learned anything from watching how the left has taken power in America, it's that there are 2 clear paths to power in a Republic.

1 - Violent revolution.

2 - Patient, persistent, relentless pursuit of goals. This requires pushing the agenda both within the political environment, as well as pushing it in society.

The left has kicked our butts using #2. I'm not sure conservatives will be good at using method #2.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 10:47:05 AM »
Look at this picture. It so defines what the Tea Party is these days.

Let me preface my comment by making crystal clear that I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, but that an astute political marketing director will see the obvious.

In order to package the Tea Party successfully and to attract younger voters to it, which must be a "must" for the Tea Party, the idea of the movement must be sexy (attractive, fresh, new, enticing, exciting).

Being an old codger myself, I will readily admit that there is NOTHING sexy about these guys, and their unsexiness defines the Tea Party.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »

Let me preface my comment by making crystal clear that I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, but that an astute political marketing director will see the obvious.

In order to package the Tea Party successfully and to attract younger voters to it, which must be a "must" for the Tea Party, the idea of the movement must be sexy (attractive, fresh, new, enticing, exciting).

Being an old codger myself, I will readily admit that there is NOTHING sexy about these guys, and their unsexiness defines the Tea Party.

You have no idea how much I cringe when I see people in period dress showing up at rallies.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »
If I've learned anything from watching how the left has taken power in America, it's that there are 2 clear paths to power in a Republic.

1 - Violent revolution.

2 - Patient, persistent, relentless pursuit of goals. This requires pushing the agenda both within the political environment, as well as pushing it in society.

The left has kicked our butts using #2. I'm not sure conservatives will be good at using method #2.

Want to toss a spanner in the works?  Have Bevin start the paperwork to run a 3rd party campaign a la Lisa Murkowski.  If the Establisment can do it, why not the Upstarts?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »
You have no idea how much I cringe when I see people in period dress showing up at rallies.

Bet you money that if I showed up dressed like Betsy Ross they'd call me a liberal and throw my ass out.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:02:02 AM by Luis Gonzalez »

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »
Want to toss a spanner in the works?  Have Bevin start the paperwork to run a 3rd party campaign a la Lisa Murkowski.  If the Establisment can do it, why not the Upstarts?

And if we have the GOP-E(stablishment), why not the GOP-U(pstarts)?

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
Bet you money that if I showed up dressed like Betsy Ross they'd call me a liberal and throw my ass out.

Do you remember how much agita Guiliani caught for his SNL "drag" outfit at TOS?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »
Do you remember how much agita Guiliani caught for his SNL "drag" outfit at TOS?

Yep.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:32 AM »

Most of those who voted for Bevin wanted to send a message to McConnell.  They would NEVER vote for Allison Grimes.  And they would NEVER vote for Bevin if it meant electing Grimes.

McConnell is going to beat her like a drum.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 11:10:14 AM »
Amazing.

Conservatives co-opt the movement, restructure it to mirror the broader conservative agenda, and now call it inefficient in accomplishing conservative goals and want to ditch it.

Rode hard, put away wet.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
So, you're saying that maybe these guys should "sex" it up a bit  -   something like this?

:chairbang:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 11:11:15 AM »
So, you're saying that maybe these guys should "sex" it up a bit  -   something like this?

:chairbang:

If you think that's sexy, we should hook up.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »
Most of those who voted for Bevin wanted to send a message to McConnell.  They would NEVER vote for Allison Grimes.  And they would NEVER vote for Bevin if it meant electing Grimes.

McConnell is going to beat her like a drum.

"You want to send a message?  Call Western Union."
Name escapes me.

Online aligncare

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »
Subhead: Big Bucks Beat Big Beliefs
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Online aligncare

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »

Hire young, buff actors?
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 11:24:25 AM »
If you think that's sexy, we should hook up.

Is that a musket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
 :mauslaff:

Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »
Amazing.

Conservatives co-opt the movement ...
Co-opt? When was the tea party movement ever not conservative? It started out anti-big government in response to Rick Santelli's rant on CNBC and it never abandoned those principles. Anti-big government, anti-high taxes. That should have been enough.

Unfortunately, a lot of tea partiers and interlopers threw social issues into the mix, made the tea party stand for whatever they demanded it did at the moment, and a whole lot of opportunists arrived, trying to make a quick buck out of the whole thing.  **nononono*
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
Co-opt? When was the tea party movement ever not conservative? It started out anti-big government in response to Rick Santelli's rant on CNBC and it never abandoned those principles. Anti-big government, anti-high taxes. That should have been enough.

Unfortunately, a lot of tea partiers and interlopers threw social issues into the mix, made the tea party stand for whatever they demanded it did at the moment, and a whole lot of opportunists arrived, trying to make a quick buck out of the whole thing.  **nononono*

The biggest bragging point of the early TEA Party was that it cut across Party and ideological lines. It didn't happen so long ago that I don't clearly remember that.

I wasn't a "conservative" movement. It was an anti-taxation movement.

Being the exclusionary beings that they are, conservatives immediately set about the task of expanding the movement's agenda to issues that drove out non-conservatives and destroyed what was truly an American uprising.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:07:01 PM by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
The biggest bragging point of the early TEA Party was that it cut across Party and ideological lines. It didn't happen so long ago that I don't clearly remember that.

I wasn't a "conservative" movement. It was an anti-taxation movement.

Being the exclusionary beings that they are, conservatives immediately set about the task of expanding the movement's agenda to issues that drove out non-conservatives and destroyed what was truly an American uprising.
You act as if the big-L Libertarians weren't doing the exact same thing, and we all know their task: dividing the vote to elect Democrats. Why did the socon-leaners win out? They understood Duverger's Law: an opposition works best when united. Because the big-L's insist on their own party, they got nowhere, and the socon-leaners who were using the GOP as their vessel got traction.

Well, now the GOP is striking back... and they and the Democrats both have the money. Working class schleps don't.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »

You act as if the big-L Libertarians weren't doing the exact same thing, and we all know their task: dividing the vote to elect Democrats.

The opposition to taxes and taxation was united. The introduction of agendas other than the specific agenda of the original movement disunited the movement, and here we are.

You act as if the big-L Libertarians weren't doing the exact same thing, and we all know their task: dividing the vote to elect Democrats.

I don't know any such thing. I think it better to stick to what you think you know, rather than attempting to divine what I may or may not know.

Why did the socon-leaners win out? They understood Duverger's Law: an opposition works best when united. Because the big-L's insist on their own party, they got nowhere, and the socon-leaners who were using the GOP as their vessel got traction.

You talk about unity then split up so-cons and Libertarians, both of them conservative groups with differing opinions on social issues when the root of the movement had absolutely nothing to do with social issues. You don't see the flaw in your thinking, do you?

Well, now the GOP is striking back... and they and the Democrats both have the money. Working class schleps don't.

Did you really expect the GOP NOT to fight back?

The post T.E.A. Tea Party made them their enemy and primary targets.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf