Author Topic: Nancy Pelosi names Democrats for Benghazi panel  (Read 995 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Nancy Pelosi names Democrats for Benghazi panel
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:24:01 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=73D454E3-294E-4AE0-9BD8-F2984DD53E47

Nancy Pelosi names Democrats for Benghazi panel
By: Jake Sherman and Lauren French
May 21, 2014 11:27 AM EDT

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi — after a heated debate over the issue within her caucus — officially tapped five Democrats to the special committee charged with investigating the Benghazi attacks.

Democratic Reps. Elijah Cummings (Md.), Adam Smith (Wash.), Adam Schiff (Calif.), Linda Sanchez (Calif.) and Tammy Duckworth (Ill.) will serve on the panel, which is headed by South Carolina Republican Trey Gowdy.

Cummings of Maryland will serve as the select committee’s ranking member. The lead Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, Cummings has often served as a sparring partner over Benghazi with Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.).

Smith, Schiff and Duckworth have responsibilities related to defense and foreign service as part of their other committee assignments.

The announcement comes after Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) met for an hour Tuesday to negotiate over the probe.

Appointing Democrats to the panel marks a departure for Pelosi, who initially didn’t want to dignify the committee by naming any Democrats to it. Her perspective changed, however, after fellow Democrats said she should appoint at least a few Democrats to sit on it in order to counter claims by Republicans. Some Democrats also felt the party should be represented if Republicans subpoena high-level Obama administration officials, including former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The committee, which the House agreed to create earlier this month in a party-line vote, created seven seats for Republicans and five for Democrats.

Smith, Schiff and Duckworth have responsibilities related to defense and foreign service as part of their other committee assignments.

The announcement comes after Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) met for an hour Tuesday to negotiate over the probe.

Appointing Democrats to the panel marks a departure for Pelosi, who initially didn’t want to dignify the committee by naming any Democrats to it. Her perspective changed, however, after fellow Democrats said she should appoint at least a few Democrats to sit on it in order to counter claims by Republicans. Some Democrats also felt the party should be represented if Republicans subpoena high-level Obama administration officials, including former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The committee, which the House agreed to create earlier this month in a party-line vote, created seven seats for Republicans and five for Democrats.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Nancy Pelosi names Democrats for Benghazi panel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:58:59 pm »
Elijah,

...his purpose be to sho da whole thing be rasis.

So Trey and his side must be entirely businesslike and factual. And keep going.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »
Elijah,

...his purpose be to sho da whole thing be rasis.

So Trey and his side must be entirely businesslike and factual. And keep going.

His job is to throw big showy tantrums and waste the panel's time until the public tires of it all.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:06:28 pm »
His job is to throw big showy tantrums and waste the panel's time until the public tires of it all.

I don't think he's going to get a lot of opportunity to do that on this kind of committee. At least I hope not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:40:56 pm »
No Alan Grayson?

Well, that's disappointing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:50:21 pm »
I don't think he's going to get a lot of opportunity to do that on this kind of committee. At least I hope not!

You and me both.  Adam Smith (D. Wa) has a large constituency in and around Ft. Pierce....lots of retired military in his District that understand Benghazi all too well.  He's a good pick for the Committee and a sign that Pelousy did not get her way. 

Cummings is the loudmouth obstructionist, but I think the other Democrats may be more inclined to get down to business with staff, out of the public eye, and find out what was really going on.  I believe there are more Democrats than any of them will admit who see Benghazi as a major threat to the Party if half of what has been rumored actually went on.  I think Democrats like Smith are smart enough to know that they need to be seen on the right side of this one, and cannot leave this to the usual suspects in the Pelousy crowd.

Let's see how this proceeds...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »

Cummings is the loudmouth obstructionist...

Makes one wonder... does this guy not realize what he is or is he just so impressed to have a place at the trough that he doesn't care?

Inquiring minds want to know...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 10:25:57 pm »
No Alan Grayson?

Well, that's disappointing.

He's busy with his second job.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:35:38 pm »
I'll be surprised if either Smith (for the reasons Chief laid out) or Duckworth (Team mates first - scum second) really toe the Dem line on this.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mrclose

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:58:41 pm »
Why is it that instead of being investigated for criminal misconduct, ( Elijah Cummings colluding with the IRS) and running interference for the Democrats .. He is on this committee? :shrug:
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 12:01:25 am »
Why is it that instead of being investigated for criminal misconduct, ( Elijah Cummings colluding with the IRS) and running interference for the Democrats .. He is on this committee? :shrug:

That's an interesting question.  Gowdy should oppose the appointment, if only to remind spectators of the conflict of character.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Millee

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 12:27:19 am »
Cummings will be the one the MSM goes to for sound bites. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 12:30:44 am »
Cummings will be the one the MSM goes to for sound bites.

I'm not getting the same feeling here.

IMO, a lot of the DEMS have reached the point where they are thinking of their own political skins.

Obama will NOT recover from this.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 02:17:45 am »
You know... Apart from Cummings, these are credible people from their side of the aisle.  Maybe, just maybe... Boehner dug in.  We'll never know, but... hmmm.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 03:36:21 am »
Democrats are nervous.  They're starting to crack.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck