Author Topic: T.E.A. and Solipsism with Lolita - How Conservatives Killed the T.E.A. Party  (Read 31427 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
T.E.A. and Solipsism with Lolita, or How SoCons Killed the Party
By Luis Gonzalez
The Last Wire

The Book

Vladimir Nabokov's "Lolita" is a stunningly beautiful example of prose at its very best. An absolute pleasure to read and to immerse oneself in the writer's delicately crafted imagery, Lolita, as seen through the eyes of Humbert Humbert is the epitome of one who "walks in beauty like the night."

"Oh, what a dreamy pet! She walked up to the open suitcase as if stalking it from afar, at a kind of slow-motion walk, peering at that distant treasure box on the luggage support. (Was there something wrong, I wondered, with those great gray eyes of hers, or were we both plunged in the same enchanted mist?)

The deftness of the prose is incredible. In your mind's eye you can "see" exactly what the writer wants you to see moving at the exact pace that he intends for you to move at.

"She stepped up to it, lifting her rather high-heeled feet rather high and bending her beautiful boy-knees while she walked through dilating space with the lentor of one walking under water or in a flight dream. Then she raised by the armlets a  copper-colored, charming and quite expensive vest, very slowly stretching it between her silent hands as if she were a bemused bird-hunter holding his breath over the incredible bird he spreads out by the tips of its flaming wings."

Just then, you feel a tinge of something wrong.

You begin to sense the vulgar aesthetic of it all, and you come to grips with the realization that you're enjoying beauty through the eyes of a pedophile, and the book is never the same again. You struggle with Humbert's morally repugnant behavior even as you recognize the greatness of the writing.

Lolita herself is nothing like what Humbert describes her as being. She is a rather ordinary twelve year-old, and her exotic beauty resides solely in Humbert's mind. The nymphet described in the book exists because he exists.

That's classic solipsism.

The theory or view that the self is the only reality. An extreme form of skepticism which denies the possibility of any knowledge other than of one's own existence. Applied to political ideology, it is the belief that one specific set of beliefs is the only acceptable set of beliefs which defines that political ideology, to the exclusion of all others.

The modern day Social Conservative movement is Humbert Humbert to the Taxed Enough Already coalition's Lolita.

~~~

Read more at The Last Wire
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:38:18 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Looks like it was a less than stellar night for the Tea Party last night.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Who was it who said "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Who was it who said "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"?

A guy who is now dead.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
A guy who is now dead.

Now....I don't care who 'you' are!   That there was funny as hell!   :beer:

PS:  another brilliant piece, Luis!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:25:35 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Personally, I don't consider these "losses" to be failures.  They are more like sparring matches.  They force a certain "vetting" of our candidates and they do force the incumbents to work a bit in the primary season, which can only be a good thing.  In the end, the insurgents will nearly always be done in by the big money and marketing finesse of the establishment, except in cases where the incumbent is so reviled or the challenger so strong that an anomalous result occurs.  When that happens, the GOPe candidates tend to squeal like stuck pigs.  I just love that.

I do have a problem with people who suggest our candidates should always run unopposed in primaries.  After all, where would the Globetrotters be without the Washington Nationals?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Now....I don't care who 'you' are!   That there was funny as hell!   :beer:

PS:  another brilliant piece, Luis!

I missed my headline last night.

I place the blame squarely on the Miami Heat.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
A guy who is now dead.

Look for the TEA party to take it up!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Personally, I don't consider these "losses" to be failures.  They are more like sparring matches.  They force a certain "vetting" of our candidates and they do force the incumbents to work a bit in the primary season, which can only be a good thing.  In the end, the insurgents will nearly always be done in by the big money and marketing finesse of the establishment, except in cases where the incumbent is so reviled or the challenger so strong that an anomalous result occurs.  When that happens, the GOPe candidates tend to squeal like stuck pigs.  I just love that.

I do have a problem with people who suggest our candidates should always run unopposed in primaries.  After all, where would the Globetrotters be without the Washington Nationals?

The premise of what the T.E.A. Party was has been lost, co-opted into near obscurity by the injection of Social Conservative ideals.

I loved the original movement's across the political spectrum's membership and their rejection of the Federal government's agenda. It felt completely "American" as opposed to conservative vs liberal.

That was refreshing, and that is now gone.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The premise of what the T.E.A. Party was has been lost, co-opted into near obscurity by the injection of Social Conservative ideals.

I loved the original movement's across the political spectrum's membership and their rejection of the Federal government's agenda. It felt completely "American" as opposed to conservative vs liberal.

It's only "gone" in the MSM reporting.

I consider myself a T.E.A. Party charter member.  And so did the rest of the MILLION people there on 9/12/09 in Washington, DC.

That number has grown exponentially.

We're out there, Luis. 

But totally agree that it's the SOCON fringe that needs to be tied up and thrown in the trunk.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
It's only "gone" in the MSM reporting.

I consider myself a T.E.A. Party charter member.  And so did the rest of the MILLION people there on 9/12/09 in Washington, DC.

That number has grown exponentially.

We're out there, Luis. 

But totally agree that it's the SOCON fringe that needs to be tied up and thrown in the trunk.

2009 was eons away politically, and what you joined up for no longer exists as it did when you signed up.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
2009 was eons away politically, and what you joined up for no longer exists as it did when you signed up.

Sadly true, looking at it from this side of the pond. Back when the TEA party caught fire, it was a single issue that brought people together. I recall hardcore Liberals, Independents, and people who otherwise don't give a crap about politics banding together with Conservatives and saying "Enough."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

I don't really know if this is true or not because I don't have any personal involvement with the Tea Party.  I assume you do.  From what I do know, there are different factions that call themselves Tea Party.  I don't know if Dick Armey is still involved with one of them, but I wouldn't consider him to be a SoCon. 

I'm just not sure you can paint the movement with such a broad brush.  I still perceive it as a movement that is opposed to big government, not one that is involved in religious issues.  But, as I say, I am not really involved with it, other than my inbox is sometimes filled with spam from different groups calling themselves Tea Party (a price I pay for belonging to the NRA).  Most of the e-mails I get are focused on reducing the size of government, not on abortion or teaching creationism in the schools.

I do think the MSM has succeeded in marginalizing and demonizing the Tea Party.  I think it's a shame when people who consider themselves conservatives join in that cause.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:41:20 pm by massadvj »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
The Tea Party has a website?

God, Luis - you're playing the MSM's game here - trying to paint all of us with the SOCON paintbrush! 

There is NO Tea Party website!

There are groups that have included Tea Party in their names - but they are not tied together in any kind of network by any means!  There are people that claim to speak for the "Tea Party" - but they do not speak for me!  There are idiots that run for office calling themselves Tea Party - but they are not selected by the vast majority of people that self-identify as Tea Party - just like with the GOP establishment!  It's not possible for any idealogy that proclaims freedom to the individual to be monolithic!

To say that the Tea Party is on it's death bed is to join the MSM and to play by their rules.  When you have the full force of the IRS, the White House - and now the GOP party - against you......you have a tough fight ahead of you.  The Tea Party philosophy is one of FISCAL conservatism in government!  Nothing more or less!

Just like in everything that becomes successful - you have your shysters, your opportunists, stalkers, imposters and outright criminals jumping on for the ride.  We do have to move up to the next phase of a burgeoning new movement - we have to start organizing and find a leader - a spokesman for us.  This is the hard part, but is essential to our eventual victory. 

The Socons are just as bad as the Progressives they deride - they think that Government is the answer.  They are the opportunists that are trying to take over the movement and the MSM sees that and rubs their greasy hands together with glee - ah!  We see a weakness we can exploit!  We do have to purge these types because they are working with the enemy in that they are weakening our mission. 

We're not dead.  We're learning - much like a baby learns to walk - by falling and picking ourselves back up.  We've got some skinned knees but we're not mortally wounded.  Our mission of fiscal conservatism is sound and as things keep deteriorating, it will resonate with more and more people.  We just have to keep focused on the message and not allow ourselves to be led off the path - to go look at something "shiny". 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I don't really know if this is true or not because I don't have any personal involvement with the Tea Party.  I assume you do.  From what I do know, there are different factions that call themselves Tea Party.  I don't know if Dick Armey is still involved with one of them, but I wouldn't consider him to be a SoCon. 

I'm just not sure you can paint the movement with such a broad brush.  I still perceive it as a movement that is opposed to big government, not one that is involved in religious issues.  But, as I say, I am not really involved with it, other than my inbox is sometimes filled with spam from different groups calling themselves Tea Party (a price I pay for belonging to the NRA).  Most of the e-mails I get are focused on reducing the size of government, not on abortion or teaching creationism in the schools.

I do think the MSM has succeeded in marginalizing and demonizing the Tea Party.  I think it's a shame when people who consider themselves conservatives join in that cause.

I don't see myself as attacking the party, I do see the party having been transformed into something that it wasn't intended to be, IMHO.

I do believe that our country will not set itself on the "right path" by way of the control of one Party over government as opposed to the other, or one ideology over the other.

It will do that when the country, as a country, not as differing ideologies or competing political parties, sets its collective mind to do it.

I saw some of that in the original T.E.A. Party, and I don't see it so much from the Party as it stands now.

Sadly, I also see conservatism as the ideology and practice of exclusion.

We need big tents... really big tents, where admission isn't set as adherence to a narrowing set of ideals.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

God, Luis - you're playing the MSM's game here - trying to paint all of us with the SOCON paintbrush! 

There are groups that have included Tea Party in their names - but they are not tied together in any kind of network by any means!  There are people that claim to speak for the "Tea Party" - but they do not speak for me!  There are idiots that run for office calling themselves Tea Party - but they are not selected by the vast majority of people that self-identify as Tea Party - just like with the GOP establishment!  It's not possible for any idealogy that proclaims freedom to the individual to be monolithic!

To say that the Tea Party is on it's death bed is to join the MSM and to play by their rules.  When you have the full force of the IRS, the White House - and now the GOP party - against you......you have a tough fight ahead of you.  The Tea Party philosophy is one of FISCAL conservatism in government!  Nothing more or less!

Just like in everything that becomes successful - you have your shysters, your opportunists, stalkers, imposters and outright criminals jumping on for the ride.  We do have to move up to the next phase of a burgeoning new movement - we have to start organizing and find a leader - a spokesman for us.  This is the hard part, but is essential to our eventual victory. 

The Socons are just as bad as the Progressives they deride - they think that Government is the answer.  They are the opportunists that are trying to take over the movement and the MSM sees that and rubs their greasy hands together with glee - ah!  We see a weakness we can exploit!  We do have to purge these types because they are working with the enemy in that they are weakening our mission. 

We're not dead.  We're learning - much like a baby learns to walk - by falling and picking ourselves back up.  We've got some skinned knees but we're not mortally wounded.  Our mission of fiscal conservatism is sound and as things keep deteriorating, it will resonate with more and more people.  We just have to keep focused on the message and not allow ourselves to be led off the path - to go look at something "shiny".

TeaParty.org

Tell Palin, Cruz et al.

P.S. Is that all you got out of the article?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:40:19 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
TeaParty.org

Tell Palin, Cruz et al.

P.S. Is that all you got out of the article?

TeaParty.org - TeaParty.schmorgasbord

Never been there - don't ever plan to go there.  They are just an organization that is trying to BE the tea party, I guess.  There is no official Tea PARTY.  No official Tea Party WEBSITE.  No ballot that has the Tea Party listed on it.  No national Tea Party convention - only a bunch of groups trying to establish themselves as the establishment.  It's a necessary process, hopefully the fiscal conservative ideology will win the day.

The website.  Is that all you got out of my answer?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Never been there - don't ever plan to go there.  They are just an organization that is trying to BE the tea party, I guess.  There is no official Tea PARTY.  No official Tea Party WEBSITE.  No ballot that has the Tea Party listed on it.  No national Tea Party convention - only a bunch of groups trying to establish themselves as the establishment.  It's a necessary process, hopefully the fiscal conservative ideology will win the day.

^-^

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Michelle Bachmann set up the Tea Party Caucus, in the House. She was head of it. Todd Akins was a member.

Luis' article described the hijacking of the original TEA Party movement, which BY definition, was NOT SoCon, by the Socons.

Multiple polls over the past year conclude the Tea Party brand has lost popularity, lost approval.

Deny it if you like. That doesn't alter those facts.

And of course when the left sees all this happening, they pick up on the opportunity. But they had such obvious volunteers for portraying the TP as goofballs, like O'Donnell, "I am not a witch."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline katzenjammer

Boy, Alice!!  I don't know what kind of coffee or orange juice you had this morning, but you are hitting them out of the park!!  As I said another post of yours that I read earlier was so damn inspiring and uplifting, I have to say that this one is one of the most insightful and intelligent ones I have read in a long time!!  Thank you, again!!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
We need big tents... really big tents, where admission isn't set as adherence to a narrowing set of ideals.

You say you support a big tent, and yet you consistently bash social conservatives, who make up an estimated 35 percent of the GOP.  I don't understand how you can support a big tent when you denigrate 35 percent of the people currently IN the tent.  That just doesn't compute with me.

Oceander

You say you support a big tent, and yet you consistently bash social conservatives, who make up an estimated 35 percent of the GOP.  I don't understand how you can support a big tent when you denigrate 35 percent of the people currently IN the tent.  That just doesn't compute with me.

except that (a) social conservatives do just as much bashing, and (b) social conservatives want to impose a narrow set of rigid ideals as the price of admission.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Because in my experience, SoCons earnestly work at limiting access to that tent.

If you are gay you can't be in the tent.

If you are an atheist you can't be in that tent.

If you do not oppose same-sex marriage you can't be in that tent.

If you think that some sort if amnesty is going to be necessary to solve the illegal alien problem, you can't be in that tent.

In fact, in you don't elevate social issue above fiscal and political ones, you can't be in that tent.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
except that (a) social conservatives do just as much bashing, and (b) social conservatives want to impose a narrow set of rigid ideals as the price of admission.

I don't disagree.  However, the last successful GOP presidential candidate won with a plurality that included these folks.  So far, I don't see any evidence that moderates can be moved to the GOP, although moderates themselves often claim if we just throw the SoCons under the bus, they'll come in droves.  Well, the GOP in most of the northeast states has done just that, and where are they?

You know that I am no SoCon.  But I see no reason to intentionally antagonize that faction of the party.  When they propose something stupid - like public funding of churches, mandatory prayer in the schools, the teaching of creationism or a constitutional amendment banning abortion - then I will oppose those policies.  But otherwise I am not going to intentionally denigrate decent, God-fearing people who are usually model citizens.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
TBR is all about the *big tent* and I am not going to go through another election year of GOP factions here bashing each other for not seeing or adopting their POV..we all believe what we believe and TBR was created as a place where we could ALL discuss our POV's and more importantly work to over throw our common enemy...THE DEMOCRATS
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34