Author Topic: Obituaries for 2014  (Read 23605 times)

Offline flowers

Re: Obituaries for 2014
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2014, 04:59:42 pm »
Jaws was his name in the Bond films.
lol, I guess I don't remember him in a bond film....... :whistle:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2014, 05:08:41 pm »
Tony Auth, 72, Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist, died Sunday

Tony Auth, 72, of Wynnewood, the Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist and mainstay of The Inquirer's editorial page for four decades before resigning in 2012 to become a digital artist, has died.

Mr. Auth had been under treatment for metastatic brain cancer. David Leopold, his friend and curator, said he died at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania on Sunday, Sept. 14, four days after his supporters announced a fundraising effort for an archive devoted to his work at Temple University.

Mr. Auth's remarkable career began in 1971 when the fledgling artist from California flew in to Philadelphia to interview for the position of editorial cartoonist.
More

Wikipedia

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 01:57:30 am »
Country Legend George Hamilton IV Dead at 77

George Hamilton IV, whose gentle demeanor and soothing folk-country vocal style earned him worldwide acclaim, died Wednesday (September 17th) at a Nashville hospital, following a heart attack which he suffered on Saturday. He was 77.

A 50-year veteran of the Grand Ole Opry, Hamilton was known as the "International Ambassador of Country Music," having toured successfully throughout Europe, Asia, the Soviet Union and Australia...

In 1963, he scored his greatest success with "Abilene." ...
More

Wikipedia

Abilene

No, not

that
George Hamilton

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2014, 08:57:01 pm »
Polly Bergen, Actress, Dies at 84

Actress Polly Bergen, who's best known for her role in the original "Cape Fear" opposite Gregory Peck, died at her home in Connecticut on Saturday. She was 84.

She was a regular in TV movies and miniseries in the 1980s, most notably in the 1983 epic "The Winds of War" and the 1988 sequel, "War and Remembrance," for which she was nominated for a best supporting actress Emmy in 1989. She was also the star of her own short-lived NBC variety series "The Polly Bergen Show," which ran from 1957 to 1958. Most recently, she played Felicity Huffman's mother on "Desperate Housewives" and the mistress of Tony Soprano's late father on "The Sopranos."

More

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:49 pm »
Don Manoukian lived a full, fun life

Don Manoukian, the original Oakland Raider who turned to pro wrestling, died Tuesday in Reno, Nevada at age 80.
More

Ex-Raider, wrestler Manoukian dies in Reno at 80: Athlete wrestled as bad guy 'Don the Bruiser'

Reno's Don Manoukian, ex-Oakland Raider, dies at 80

Renoite and Former Raider Manoukian Dies at 80

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2014, 06:43:11 pm »
James A. Traficant Jr., colorful Ohio congressman expelled by House, dies at 73

James A. Traficant Jr., an iconoclastic nine-term Ohio populist in the U.S. House of Representatives who was convicted on corruption charges in 2002, becoming the second member of Congress to be expelled since the Civil War, died Sept. 27 at a hosptial in Youngstown, Ohio. He was 73.

A family spokeswoman, Heidi Hanni, confirmed his death to reporters. The former congressman was injured in a tractor accident on his farm near Greenford, Ohio, on Tuesday. A former aide told reporters in Ohio that he apparently had a heart attack while driving the tractor, which overturned inside a building and left the former congressman trapped underneath.
More, with reader cooments

Wikipedia

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2014, 11:22:29 pm »
I got to know Jim Traficant. More on that later. Leaving for a date with Mrs. Lando.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2014, 03:19:51 pm »
I got to know Jim Traficant. More on that later. Leaving for a date with Mrs. Lando.
Oh please do tell us!!  I always kinda liked the guy.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2014, 03:24:06 pm »
Oh please do tell us!!  I always kinda liked the guy.

Me too, but then I like people that aren't afraid to be different from the pack.  I even liked his "pencil-sharpener" haircut!

Tell us more Lando.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2014, 05:53:24 pm »
Me too, but then I like people that aren't afraid to be different from the pack.  I even liked his "pencil-sharpener" haircut!

Tell us more Lando.

Yeah!  Yeah!  Tell us!   :0001:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2014, 03:57:29 pm »
I'm sorry guys... I not given to teases like that...

Anyway, I got to know Traficant a bit when I lived in Poland, Ohio.  That was his hometown also.  I was working on a couple of projects and I asked for Congressman Traficant's help - which he was very willing to provide.  He was a powerfully quick study.  I thought astonishingly so.  We met for breakfast a couple of times and he also came to my office a few times.  At that time he drove a tired Camaro or Firebird.  He was definitely not PC in private conversation and he often told the story of a "Chinaman" running back in college (I think Notre Dame or Pitt).  He once had us as guests on his local Sunday morning news show and shared the story word-for-word, the way he would in private.  I remember my surprise.  He was unbelievably popular in the Mahoning Valley because, as County Sheriff he was charged by the feds on racketeering and bribery charges.  He represented himself and argued he was conducting his own investigation and did not intend to keep any cash he obtained while "undercover".  By his acquittal, he became a local hero.  I will tell you, the Mahoning Valley of Ohio which includes Youngstown, is one corrupt place and Traficant knew how to navigate it just like breathing.  The Mob there was (is?) very real.

One morning, Traficant was to meet me at a restaurant in Boardman, Ohio.  I had brought along a young-looking engineer to meet him for the first time.  The engineer and I were at opposite sides of a booth and the Congressman came in, sat beside the engineer - and gave him a "noogie" complete with headlock.  Before the introduction was made!  Amazing.

When there were no reporters or cameras around, he was reserved, observant and always "calculating".  But when it was show time, it was a thing to behold.  Funny thing is... he sold me.  I was convinced he was Democrat for convenience in the Democratic stronghold of the Mahoning Valley -  but, if he had any true principles - a very real "if" - they were conservative.  His was a personality larger than life.

If you ever want to wonder if this was a true "accident", you'd be justified in the Mahoning Valley of Ohio.  I am sure he had his enemies.

RIP Jim Traficant.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:06:44 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2014, 04:11:00 pm »
I'm sorry guys... I not given to teases like that...

Anyway, I got to know Traficant a bit when I lived in Poland, Ohio.  That was his hometown also.  I was working on a couple of projects and I asked for Congressman Traficant's help - which he was very willing to provide.  He was a powerfully quick study.  I thought astonishingly so.  We met me for breakfast a couple of times and he also came to my office a few times.  At that time he drove a tired Camaro or Firebird.  He was definitely not PC in private conversation and he often told the story of a "Chinaman" running back in college (I think Notre Dame or Pitt).  He had us as guests on his local Sunday morning news show and shared the story word for word the way he would in private.  I remember my surprise.  He was unbelievably popular in the Mahoning value because, as County Sheriff he was charged by the feds on racketeering and bribery charges.  He represented himself and argued he was conducting his own investigation and did not intend to keep the cash he was given.  By his acquittal, he became a local hero.  I will tell you, the Mahoning Valley of Ohio, which includes Youngstown, is one corrupt place and Traficant knew how to navigate it just like breathing.  The Mob there was (is?) very real.

One morning, Traficant was to meet me at a restaurant in Boardman, Ohio.  I had brought along a young-looking engineer to meet him for the first time.  The engineer and I were at opposite sides of a booth and the Congressman came in, sat beside the engineer - and gave him a "noogie" complete with headlock.  Before the introduction was made!  Amazing.

When there were no reporters or cameras around, he was reserved, observant and always "calculating".  But when it was show time, it was a thing to behold.  Funny thing is... he sold me.  I was convinced he was Democrat for convenience in the Democratic stronghold of the Mahoning Valley -  but, if he had any true principles - a very real "if" - they were conservative.  His was a personality larger than life.

If you ever want to wonder if this was a true "accident", you'd be justified in the Mahoning Valley of Ohio.  I am sure he had his enemies.

RIP Jim Traficant.

Thanks for this info.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »
Ousted Haitian dictator, Jean-Claude Duvalier dies (Baby Doc)

Jean-Claude-Duvalier, the self-proclaimed "president for life" of Haiti whose corrupt and brutal regime sparked a popular uprising that sent him into a 25-year exile, died Saturday of a heart attack, his attorney said.

Reynold George said the 63-year-old ex-leader died at his home.

Duvalier, looking somewhat frail, made a surprise return to Haiti in 2011, allowing victims of his regime to pursue legal claims against him and prompting some old allies to rally around him. Neither side gained much support, and the once-feared dictator known as "Baby Doc" spent his late years in relative obscurity in the leafy hills above the Haitian capital.

Duvalier was the son of Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier, a medical doctor-turned-dictator who promoted "Noirisme," a movement that sought to highlight Haiti's African roots over its European ones while uniting the black majority against a mulatto elite in a country divided by class and color.
More

Wikipedia

BBC News: Former Haiti president Duvalier dies

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2014, 06:42:58 pm »
Raiders Leader Paul Revere Dead at 76

"The Madmen of Rock & Roll" was known for his unique outfits, infectious stage persona and garage rock hits

Paul Revere, organist and ringleader of the long-running rock band the Raiders, passed away October 4th at his home in Idaho, the band's official website revealed. Revere was 76. No cause of death was revealed, but TMZ reports that Revere (born Paul Revere Dick) battled with cancer over the past year. Thanks to his colorful clothing and infectious stage persona, Revere earned a reputation as "the madman of rock & roll." He and his Raiders scored a handful of hits throughout their five decades together, including their anti-drug smash "Kicks."
More

Paul Revere & the Raiders Wikipedia article

Paul Revere & the Raiders official site

Paul Revere at IMDb

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2014, 10:42:46 pm »
Jan Hooks, actress and comedian, dead at 57

Jan Hooks, who worked alongside some of the biggest "Saturday Night Live" stars ... died Thursday ... TMZ has learned. She was 57.

We've learned she passed away this morning in New York City. Sources tell us Jan had been battling a serious illness.

Jan was part of the 'SNL' cast from 1986-91 ... the same time as Chris Farley, Mike Myers, Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey and Dennis Miller ... and was most famous for being half of the Sweeney Sisters ... and also for her impressions of Sinead O'Connor and Hillary Clinton.

She most recently played a part on "30 Rock."

Right after 'SNL', Jan joined the cast of "Designing Women." She also had a famous role in "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure."

Jan had dated fellow SNL star Kevin Nealon ... before she was on SNL.

She was nominated for an Emmy in 1998 for a role on "3rd Rock from the Sun."

More - includes some video of her more memorable roles

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline flowers

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2014, 03:39:23 pm »
Jan Hooks, actress and comedian, dead at 57

More - includes some video of her more memorable roles

Wikipedia
Wow....RIP

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2014, 05:40:43 pm »
Wrestling legend Ox Baker passes away

Wrestling legend Ox Baker has passed away due to complications stemming from a heart attack, according to multiple reports.

The 6-foot-5, 340-pounder was 80 years old...

Aside from the wrestling, Baker is remembered in the mainstream for his significant role in the cult classic Escape from New York, directed by John Carpenter and [starring] Kurt Russell, and he's in the documentary I Like To Hurt People...
More

Wikipedia

Everyone's got an Ox Baker story

Video: Ox Baker starts riot in 1974

Video: Ox Baker tells a story

Video: Ox Baker on The Price is Right with Bob Barker (1981)

Video: Escape from New York (1981) trailer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2014, 05:10:31 am »
Iconic Fashion Designer Oscar de la Renta Dies at 82

Iconic fashion designer Oscar de la Renta has died, a family member told ABC News. He was 82.

De la Renta was diagnosed with cancer in 2006.

Born in the Dominican Republic in 1932, de la Renta left home at 18 to study painting in Madrid. It was there he developed a love of fashion design and began an apprenticeship with Cristóbal Balenciaga, who became his mentor, and then, landed a job with Lanvin in Paris. Soon after, he moved to New York City.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/fashion-icon-oscar-de-la-renta-dies-82/story?id=26332287
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:13:07 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2014, 06:33:09 am »
Lynda Bellingham dies from colon cancer, age 66.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/simon-pegg-leads-tributes-to-his-first-tv-mother-figure-lynda-bellingham-9805397.html

Know she's not really known in the States, but she is a national treasure over here. Think Dame Judi Dench for the TV.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2014, 06:42:45 am »
Lynda Bellingham dies from colon cancer, age 66.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/simon-pegg-leads-tributes-to-his-first-tv-mother-figure-lynda-bellingham-9805397.html

Know she's not really known in the States, but she is a national treasure over here. Think Dame Judi Dench for the TV.

Pretty lady, too young to die.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2014, 07:42:35 am »
Raphael Ravenscroft dies, age 60 of a suspected heart attack.

Before you say "Who?" - you know this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsXjCp_f1h4

The most iconic Sax solo of all time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-29700432

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2014, 11:21:44 am »
Raphael Ravenscroft dies, age 60 of a suspected heart attack.

Before you say "Who?" - you know this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsXjCp_f1h4

The most iconic Sax solo of all time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-29700432

This song always comes to mind if someone asks, "what's your favorite song?"  The Juke Box thread opens with it.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:33 am »
Alvin Stardust dies after short illness

Singer and actor dies at home aged 72 surrounded by family after being diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11182106/Alvin-Stardust-dies-after-short-illness.html

Wikipedia

I always remember him as Shane Fenton.

Offline alicewonders

Re: Obituaries for 2014 - Cream Bassist Jack Bruce Dead at 71
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2014, 09:36:59 pm »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/cream-bassist-jack-bruce-dead-at-71-20141025

Cream Bassist Jack Bruce Dead at 71

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame bassist "died today at his home in Suffolk surrounded by his family," his publicist confirms

Bobby Bank/Getty Images
Jack Bruce performs at B.B. King Blues Club & Grill on August 10, 2010 in New York City.

BY DANIEL KREPS | October 25, 2014
Jack Bruce, the singer and bassist for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band Cream, has passed away, his family confirmed the musician's passing on his Facebook page. He was 71.

"It is with great sadness that we, Jack’s family, announce the passing of our beloved Jack: husband, father, granddad, and all round legend. The world of music will be a poorer place without him, but he lives on in his music and forever in our hearts," the Bruce family wrote. Bruce's publicist added, "He died today at his home in Suffolk surrounded by his family." No other details were revealed but the Press Association reports that the bassist suffered from liver disease.

As one-third of one of rock's greatest trios, along with guitarist Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker, Bruce was the voice and songwriter behind classic tracks like "White Room," "SWLABR," and "Sunshine of Your Love," which Bruce co-wrote with Clapton. Considered to be the first rock "supergroup," Cream pumped out four studio albums in three years – three of which landed on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time – before going their separate ways.

The band reunited briefly in 1993 for their Rock Hall induction, then again in for a triumphant series of 2005 concerts at London's Royal Albert Hall and New York's Madison Square Garden. In 2006, Bruce and his Cream mates received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Bruce also occasionally served as a member of Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band and collaborated on the title track of Frank Zappa's Apostrophe.

Following Cream's breakup in 1968, Bruce kickstarted a long solo career with 1969's Songs of a Tailor. He would release over a dozen solo LPs over the next 45 years, including his latest album titled Silver Rails in March 2014. "I quite like to just enjoy my life. I'm thrilled to make this album. I put my heart and soul into it, and I'm very pleased with the way it came out," Bruce told Rolling Stone of his new album in April.

Cream also landed on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Artists, and in an ode to the trio written by Roger Waters, the Pink Floyd bassist writes, "Then there's Jack Bruce — probably the most musically gifted bass player who's ever been."

Offline alicewonders

Re: Obituaries for 2014 - Cream Bassist Jack Bruce Dead at 71
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2014, 09:51:45 pm »
Rory Gallagher with Jack Bruce - Politician

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXk--eL5-kQ

Rockpalast , Music Hall, Cologne, Germany 10-17-1990

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:59:23 pm by alicewonders »