Author Topic: Harry Reid: Vote to Amend U.S. Constitution to Limit Political Speech  (Read 3330 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/18/Harry-Reid-Vote-to-Amend-U-S-Constitution-to-Limit-Political-Speech

On May 15, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) announced the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing on June 3 on amending the U.S. Constitution to limit political speech. If ultimately adopted, it would mark the first time in American history that a constitutional amendment rescinded a freedom listed as among the fundamental rights of the American people.   

The proposed amendment was introduced by Sen. Tom Udall (D-CO) as S.J.R. 19 and if ratified would become the Twenty-Eighth Amendment. It provides in part that “Congress shall have power to regulate the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect [to] the Federal elections … [and] State elections.”

The proposed amendment includes a provision that “Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant Congress the power to abridge the freedom of the press.” So Breitbart News, The New York Times, and the mainstream media would be able to say whatever they want, but citizens and citizen groups such as the National Rifle Association could not.

The American people have amended the Constitution 27 times in the nation’s history. Ten of those happened in a single package when the states ratified the Bill of Rights, and another three occurred between 1865 and 1870 following the Civil War, forbidding slavery and racial discrimination. 

Reid usually opposes amending the Constitution. In 2011, Reid voted against S.J.R. 10, a proposed constitutional amendment by Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee (R-UT) that would require the federal government to balance the federal budget. In 2004 Reid voted against S.J.R. 40 that would have protected marriage as the union of one man and one woman, which would not include same-sex partners or polygamous marriages of three or more people.

Only one amendment has modified a previous amendment. The Eighteenth Amendment was ratified in 1919 and empowered Congress to forbid alcohol nationwide. Then the Twenty-First Amendment was ratified in 1933 to repeal the Eighteenth Amendment and allow alcohol to flow once again.

But the right of Americans to fully engage in political speech is guaranteed by the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment. If S.J.R. 19 becomes part of the Constitution, it would be the first instance in which a right secured by a constitutional amendment was later scaled back.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) promises that the full Senate will vote on the measure later this year.

rangerrebew

My, my!  The Commiecrats are really getting bold in showing their true colors, aren't they?  The next obvious Amendment attack would be to get rid of the Second Amendment. 888bravo

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
This has no legs.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

My, my!  The Commiecrats are really getting bold in showing their true colors, aren't they?  The next obvious Amendment attack would be to get rid of the Second Amendment. 888bravo

Which is why a convention of states isn't a great idea.  Do not give the left an opening!
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Their first target is talk radio. Then they will move to shut down sites like this and eventually attempt to intimidate Fox News.

The ultimate idea in this is that if I come on a web site and write something like, "I really like Ted Cruz." Then that would be considered what they are calling 'political speech' and would therefore be under the oversight of the FEC, with all the crap and headache that would rain down on the owner of the site. It is some real deal naziesque crap.

Of course none of these rules would apply to Liberal sites or to Democrats because the rules or laws never do.

But yes, there is no longer even a pretense of respect for the American system of government. The current administration is going full bore to establish a Cuban-ish style of communist authoritarianism.

Welcome to the third world everyone. We have arrived.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:22:08 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline MACVSOG68

Their first target is talk radio. Then they will move to shut down sites like this and eventually attempt to intimidate Fox News.

The ultimate idea in this is that if I come on a web site and write something like, "I really like Ted Cruz." Then that would be considered what they are calling 'political speech' and would therefore be under the oversight of the FEC, with all the crap and headache that would rain down on the owner of the site. It is some real deal naziesque crap.

Of course none of these rules would apply to Liberal sites or to Democrats because the rules or laws never do.

But yes, there is no longer even a pretense of respect for the American system of government. The current administration is going full bore to establish a Cuban-ish style of communist authoritarianism.

Welcome to the third world everyone. We have arrived.

Well since many here believe there's absolutely no difference between Republicans and Democrats, I guess it will pass the Senate 100 to 0.   :pondering:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Well since many here believe there's absolutely no difference between Republicans and Democrats, I guess it will pass the Senate 100 to 0.   :pondering:

DOWN GOES FRAZIER! DOWN GOES FRAZIER!

(I stole that)
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

I get and understand your point, but that is not how it works. What they do is work out between them who is going to vote which way. I was proud of how the Pubs voted on Obamacare, but that is a rare situation.

Normally they negotiate and know what the vote is going to be and who is going to vote which way for their political self-interest. That is what all the deals and pork is all about.

It is in all of their interests to work with each other, more or less, and to keep the game going. I'll vote for this if you will vote for that. Otherwise the Republicans would have no threat to extort favors.

You actually make a very good point in that if there was a vote like that then the gig would be up. They have to keep it respectable. But in the end, the Democrats almost always get whatever they want. No matter what.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Relic

You actually make a very good point in that if there was a vote like that then the gig would be up. They have to keep it respectable. But in the end, the Democrats almost always get whatever they want. No matter what.

MAC knows that. He or she isn't looking for education. MAC simply wants to poke people like me in the eye. And then wonder why he or she is treated rudely from time to time. MAC has very liberal sensibilities.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
People that sit on the 99 yard line, think somebody on the 85 yard line is on the enemy's side.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
DOWN GOES FRAZIER! DOWN GOES FRAZIER!

(I stole that)

Yes, you did.   A little bit...a little bit.   LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
MAC knows that. He or she isn't looking for education. MAC simply wants to poke people like me in the eye. And then wonder why he or she is treated rudely from time to time. MAC has very liberal sensibilities.

Or a low tolerance for BS.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Took the words right out of my mouth.......  :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

People that sit on the 99 yard line, think somebody on the 85 yard line is on the enemy's side.

C'mon, if you're going to bash, at least be clever about it.
(Hint, there is no 99 yard line).

Offline Relic

Or an inability to distinguish? An opinion that doesn't fit with one's view of the political spectrum is BS?
Or perhaps that's the intolerance you seek?

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
C'mon, if you're going to bash, at least be clever about it.
(Hint, there is no 99 yard line).

I think goes People on the 1 yard line think that people on the 10 yard line are playing for the other side. Well, yes, that is usually how it works.

Unless we are playing Rugby that is. Oh wait, no, it would be the same thing.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
This is Harry Reid reverting to type....liberals are all about banning anything they consider politically incorrect, and speech heads the top of their list.  This is instructive for those who have open eyes and ears, because this US Senator is most certainly not about Freedom.

Offline MACVSOG68

Actually JR, you're the only one here who has been out-and-out rude at least with respect to me.  And I certainly won't look to the likes of you to tell me anything about conservatism.  And if you want me to  :nometalk:, then talk to the owners, not me.

Offline Relic

Actually JR, you're the only one here who has been out-and-out rude at least with respect to me.  And I certainly won't look to the likes of you to tell me anything about conservatism.  And if you want me to  :nometalk:, then talk to the owners, not me.

Nope, simply pointing out that your post was a sarcastic bash.
Where am I wrong?

If you see that as rude, sorry, reality bites for some people.

Offline MACVSOG68

Nope, simply pointing out that your post was a sarcastic bash.
Where am I wrong?

If you see that as rude, sorry, reality bites for some people.

Yeah, it's tough facing such reality.   8888crybaby

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Or an inability to distinguish? An opinion that doesn't fit with one's view of the political spectrum is BS?
Or perhaps that's the intolerance you seek?

Mac and I know BS when we smell it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Took the words right out of my mouth.......  :laugh:

Meatloaf, 1977

Offline Relic

Mac and I know BS when we smell it.

And I know maggots when I see them.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Offline MACVSOG68

And I know maggots when I see them.

You should,  88devil