Author Topic: $250K fine for lying on health insurance forms  (Read 804 times)

rangerrebew

$250K fine for lying on health insurance forms
« on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:35 pm »
$250K fine for lying on health insurance forms

Published May 16, 2014
·Associated Press

Lying to the federal health insurance man could cost you dearly.

The Obama administration Friday spelled out civil fines of up to $250,000 for knowingly and willfully providing false information to get taxpayer-subsidized coverage under the new health care law.

New regulations say the fines also apply for lying to escape the law's requirement that most Americans carry health insurance.

If you fail to provide correct information -- but there's no malicious intent-- you still risk a $25,000 fine. It can be waived if there's a reasonable explanation and you acted in good faith.

Enrollment counselors are also subject to fines for disclosing or misusing an applicant's personal information.

Republicans have criticized the administration for what they say are weak protections against fraud in the new insurance exchanges.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/16/250k-fine-for-lying-on-health-insurance-forms/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:06:16 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline flowers

Re: $250K fine for lying on health insurance forms
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:13 pm »
bkmk

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:39:17 pm »
Why do I feel blacks and illegal immigrants won't be charged by Holder under this law, only the wealthy will?  Why do I feel the administration will use this law to harass and intimidate the wealthy? :Odance:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:41:30 pm »
New regulations say the fines also apply for lying to escape the law's requirement that most Americans carry health insurance.

Who passed these regulations into law?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 04:12:17 pm »
What the fine for repeatedly  lying to the American people in order to get the law passed in the first place?

THAT'S what I want to know!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 04:23:27 pm »
What the fine for repeatedly  lying to the American people in order to get the law passed in the first place?

THAT'S what I want to know!

It seems to be unlimited use of AF1 and every other perk you get for being prez.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »
this will merely be used as a means of extorting compliance from people who are in fact in compliance but whom the administration does not like.  they will simply accuse you of fraud, threaten to impose the full fine, but agree to settle for less if you do what they tell you to do, regardless of whether there is any merit to their position or not.  That is government by extortion and it has been raised to an art by this (mal)administration.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »
this will merely be used as a means of extorting compliance from people who are in fact in compliance but whom the administration does not like.  they will simply accuse you of fraud, threaten to impose the full fine, but agree to settle for less if you do what they tell you to do, regardless of whether there is any merit to their position or not.  That is government by extortion and it has been raised to an art by this (mal)administration.

EXACTLY correct! And the IRS does it ALL the time!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline speekinout

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:36 pm »
These fines will never be imposed on anyone. They're fines for lying so that you can get subsidies for insurance. Subsidies are available up to 400% of the poverty level - about $93,000 for a family of 4. And you're not eligible if you have access to a policy through your employer (there are exceptions to that). I just don't see that a family with an income of $100k/yr. is going to lie to get 0bamacare.

Most of the lying will be from people at the bottom end of the scale where they could get Medicaid free instead of paying a premium and high copays for 0bamacare. And those people won't have $25,000 or $250,000 for fines, ever.

It's just our "red line" from this admin. It's in disappearing ink just like all the other red lines.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 07:14:05 pm »
So true. I once had a legal settlement from the legal system which said I had to pay somewhere around a quarter of a million dollars. I just said no.

They were so confused by that. I told them to put me in jail. I'm not paying. Bottom line is we settled for much, much, less.

The power of 'No' the power of F* you, is a strange thing. It worked for me.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:26:32 pm »
These fines will never be imposed on anyone. They're fines for lying so that you can get subsidies for insurance. Subsidies are available up to 400% of the poverty level - about $93,000 for a family of 4. And you're not eligible if you have access to a policy through your employer (there are exceptions to that). I just don't see that a family with an income of $100k/yr. is going to lie to get 0bamacare.

Most of the lying will be from people at the bottom end of the scale where they could get Medicaid free instead of paying a premium and high copays for 0bamacare. And those people won't have $25,000 or $250,000 for fines, ever.

It's just our "red line" from this admin. It's in disappearing ink just like all the other red lines.

I would be very curious to read a good analysis of the comparison between people who lied to get Obamacare and the incidence of zero votes for Mitt Romney in those person's home district.  Another would be the incidence of medical record fraud among VA employees who are also registered Democrats and heavy Obama campaign donors.  The lying I'm concerned about are those who "signed up" for Obamacare with no intention of keeping it, but instead where directed to do so just to make Obamacare's "signup" numbers look better.

Consider what we are hearing about the VA secret waiting lists, that appear to be deliberate book cooking simply to improve the wait time statistics without actually doing anything and spending no additional funds in order to get a result that makes the boss look good before an election and reelection.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:11 pm »
I would be very curious to read a good analysis of the comparison between people who lied to get Obamacare and the incidence of zero votes for Mitt Romney in those person's home district.  Another would be the incidence of medical record fraud among VA employees who are also registered Democrats and heavy Obama campaign donors.  The lying I'm concerned about are those who "signed up" for Obamacare with no intention of keeping it, but instead where directed to do so just to make Obamacare's "signup" numbers look better.

Consider what we are hearing about the VA secret waiting lists, that appear to be deliberate book cooking simply to improve the wait time statistics without actually doing anything and spending no additional funds in order to get a result that makes the boss look good before an election and reelection.

I hadn't thought of that one - sure, I wouldn't put it past this admin. to have encouraged their fans to sign up just to make the numbers look good. We do know that there are some people registered multiple times - supposedly due to computer "glitches", but maybe some of that was intentional.

Egad - this admin. is turning me into a conspiracy theorist! **nononono*