Author Topic: Rep. Peter King Would Run in 2016 Just to Prevent President Cruz or Paul  (Read 1145 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rep-peter-king-would-run-in-2016-just-to-prevent-president-cruz-or-paul/

Rep. Peter King Would Run in 2016 Just to Prevent President Cruz or Paul
by Matt Wilstein | 5:10 pm, May 16th, 2014

Republican Senators Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Marco Rubio get thrown around a lot as possible GOP presidential candidates for 2016. One prominent Republican who does not get mentioned much in that context is Rep. Peter King (R-NY). But during one of his frequent interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Friday, King said he is seriously considering making a run at the nomination, if only to prevent those younger, more right-wing candidates from becoming president.

Asked by Blitzer about his 2016 plans, King said he’s “certainly looking at” the possibility, which will include a trip to New Hampshire next month. He said when he ran into Hillary Clinton yesterday he told her to “get ready.”

“I’m looking at this because I see people like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, and to me, I don’t want the Republican Party going in that direction,” King said. Whether it’s him or someone else, he said he would do what he can to make sure the “realistic foreign policy wing” or “national security wing” of the party “does not give in to the isolationists.”

Rep. King has clashed with the younger generation of Republicans repeatedly over the last several years, recently saying Sen. Paul would make a “disastrous president” and acting as the leading critic of the Sen. Cruz-led government shutdown last fall.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The egos on these cretins...it's unbelievable.  :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Peter King couldn't get enough votes to stop Hillary from getting the REPUBLICAN nomination!

He's a legend in his own mind!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I don't see how Peter King being in the race hurts Rand Paul or Ted Cruz one tiny little bit.  Firstly, they don't even appeal to the same people and secondly, King doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning. 

It's funny, I used to have a lot of respect for Peter King - as well as other neocons that I cannot stand now.  I used to donate to NPR, I loved Meet the Press and the McLoughlin Group, and watched CNN regularly.  Those things are alien to me now.  I guess I'm the one who has changed, my eyes are open now. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline MACVSOG68

Peter King couldn't get enough votes to stop Hillary from getting the REPUBLICAN nomination!

He's a legend in his own mind!

LOL...Agreed.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline PzLdr

The New York word for King [from the Yiddish] is "Putz".
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The New York word for King [from the Yiddish] is "Putz".
I was thinking "Schmuck," but that one's reserved for Hillary.

King is delusional. He may draw from an audience, but it won't be the same ones Cruz and Paul draw from and his presence won't make a dent (as others have so duly noted). It is the evangelical wing that poses the greatest threat. Their flank to Santorum in 2012, and to Huckabee in 2008, crippled the nomination process. It needs to unite with the other conservatives if we are to stop Jeb or some other big-money establishment type from winning the primary again.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline MACVSOG68

I was thinking "Schmuck," but that one's reserved for Hillary.

King is delusional. He may draw from an audience, but it won't be the same ones Cruz and Paul draw from and his presence won't make a dent (as others have so duly noted). It is the evangelical wing that poses the greatest threat. Their flank to Santorum in 2012, and to Huckabee in 2008, crippled the nomination process. It needs to unite with the other conservatives if we are to stop Jeb or some other big-money establishment type from winning the primary again.

I agree with respect to King.  But concerning the religious right and their need to unite with other conservatives, I'm not following.  Jeb, whether one likes his stance on immigration reform is a conservative as are most of the other potential candidates.  No he's not from the right wing, but I think he self-identifies as a conservative, or so I've read.  In any case, conservatism isn't just defined by a list of issues, but rather how one approaches them in the larger context of a philosophy of conservatism.  I'm all for uniting, but from what I'm seeing on these "conservative" websites, I'm not comfortable it'll happen any time soon.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I agree with respect to King.  But concerning the religious right and their need to unite with other conservatives, I'm not following.  Jeb, whether one likes his stance on immigration reform is a conservative as are most of the other potential candidates.  No he's not from the right wing, but I think he self-identifies as a conservative, or so I've read.  In any case, conservatism isn't just defined by a list of issues, but rather how one approaches them in the larger context of a philosophy of conservatism.  I'm all for uniting, but from what I'm seeing on these "conservative" websites, I'm not comfortable it'll happen any time soon.

It's never going to happen if "unite" continues to mean do it our way or else!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

It's never going to happen if "unite" continues to mean do it our way or else!

You mean like having to sign pledge statements...or else?  :pondering:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You mean like having to sign pledge statements...or else?  :pondering:

Never supported such silliness and frankly have no idea where you think such a thing is in force.

What I meant was nominate a moderate or else!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:26:54 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

Never supported such silliness and frankly have no idea where you think such a thing is in force.

It's just part of the "our way or else" agenda. In 2012 the written pledges were flying like leaves in fall.  The were designed to make sure the candidate of choice knew specifically what to promise.  Happens every four years on both wings.

Oceander

Peter "Ralph Nader" King.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It's just part of the "our way or else" agenda. In 2012 the written pledges were flying like leaves in fall.  The were designed to make sure the candidate of choice knew specifically what to promise.  Happens every four years on both wings.

Unless that becomes officially a part of the rules it is meaningless BS and I pay no attention whatever to it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien