Author Topic: No, Global Warming Ignorance Doesn’t Justify Bigger Government  (Read 304 times)

rangerrebew

No, Global Warming Ignorance Doesn’t Justify Bigger Government

James Taylor
By James Taylor
May 16, 2014

American Enterprise Institute blogger James Pethokoukis recently fell prey to the latest liberal excuse to enact progressive climate change policy. In an article titled, “You can be a climate change skeptic and still take action, just in case,” the AEI blogger cites dubious global warming claims to advocate big-government programs as a form of insurance against global warming. Liberal agendas aside, ignorance about future climate does not justify taking still more money and power from the people and giving it to government.

The latest tactic among global warming activists is to claim big-government global warming programs should appeal to political conservatives’ sense of prudence. The claim is people purchase insurance on their important possessions, such as their houses and automobiles, so it is similarly judicious for government to purchase insurance against global warming.

Although Pethokoukis usually sees through the big-government schemes of the collectivist left, he curiously champions their agenda with the following logic, “Balancing risks and accounting for trade-offs also seem like a political and policy smart way to being thinking about climate change and what to do about it.”

Pethokoukis’ argument is flawed.

Pethokoukis cites global warming activist Kerry Emanual acknowledging “we don’t have to worry very much” about 2.5 degrees Fahrenheit of warming, but alleging “there will be problems” with approximately 6 degrees of warming.  Importantly, all of the warming of the twentieth century totaled just 1 degree Fahrenheit, with most of the warming occurring prior to 1945, before humans emitted much carbon dioxide. There has been no global warming this century. Given these facts, it seems highly unlikely that we will experience anywhere near 6 degrees of warming anytime during the next few centuries. On this point alone, economy-destroying global warming insurance is a bad bet.

Just as importantly, people purchase insurance either (1) when they are forced to do so or (2) when the price of insurance is commensurate with foreseeable risk. Most people who insure their houses do so because the banks that are financing their investments require insurance. Once a homeowner pays off his or her loan, he or she is much less likely to continue purchasing insurance. Because only a very small proportion of houses get destroyed by fire, storms or other catastrophes, insurance must be modestly priced for homeowners to voluntarily purchase it. Sure, it gives people some peace of mind to have their houses insured, but few people will purchase insurance if the annual premiums cost more than the value of the house. Indeed, annual premiums must cost – at most – only a few percent of the house’s value to be a wise and prudent investment for even the most risk-averse homeowners.

Also, insurance must effectively address foreseeable risks. If an insurance policy has such a large deductible that the insurance does little or nothing to mitigate the financial risks of home ownership, then few people will purchase it.  Also, expensive insurance that does little to cover the most likely forms of foreseeable risk is not worth purchasing. For example, an insurance policy that insures a Texas home against a grizzly bear mauling but does not insure against termites and storms is of little value and is not a prudent or conservative investment.

This is relevant to the global warming discussion because even if one accepts alarmist global warming predictions (and keep in mind that Pethokoukis ostensibly does not accept such alarmist predictions for the purposes of his argument), completely eliminating U.S. carbon dioxide emissions will have essentially no impact on future climate unless rapidly developing nations such as China do likewise. China currently emits more carbon dioxide than all of the nations in the Western Hemisphere combined, and China’s emissions are increasing by approximately 10 percent per year. China also insists that it will not allow Western governments to rope it into carbon dioxide restrictions. Accordingly, imposing economically devastating restrictions on the U.S. economy – where emissions are not rising at all – does nothing to “insure” against the alleged impacts of rising global carbon dioxide emissions on global climate.

Still further, warmer climate has always benefited human health and welfare more than colder climate. This remains true today, as hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, desertification and practically all other negative climate and weather factors have become less frequent and less severe as our climate warms. Conversely, plant growth, crop production, forest density, biodiversity, soil moisture, length of growing seasons and practically all other positive climate and weather factors have improved as our climate warms. Saying we need to punish our economy to mitigate and take out insurance against global warming is like saying we need to punish our economy to mitigate and take out insurance against another Reagan-style economic expansion.

Pulling each of these points together, Pethokoukis essentially arguing that it is a wise, prudent, and conservative investment for a homeowner to take out insurance on his or her house when annual premiums are as expensive as the house itself, deductibles force the homeowner to pay for 90 percent of any damage, the insurance applies solely to grizzly bear vandalism but no other foreseeable events, and the coverage kicks in only if the grizzly bear vandalism increases rather than decreases the value of the house. Pethokoukis and global warming activists may call this a prudent investment, but more rational minds call it destructive.

James Taylor is a senior fellow at the Heartland Institute. He maintains a personal website at www.JamesTaylorPolicy.com.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/05/16/no-global-warming-ignorance-doesnt-justify-bigger-government/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:54:56 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Slide Rule

Re: No, Global Warming Ignorance Doesn’t Justify Bigger Government
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:52:16 pm »
A number of years ago, Foundation for Economic Education had a similar article.  After writing to the periodical I subsequently cancelled my subscription.

A time later, I received a letter from Mr Reed which was soliciting a subscription.

I wrote to him and recieved no response.  This is an old game plan.  Like the Misses cooking Reruns for dinner.

FEE does have a fine periodical, it is just I decline to subsidize anyone directly or indirectly supporting global warming

I recommend a similar course for those fighting similar junk science.

December 7, 2009
Mr. Lawrence W. Reed
President FEE
30 South Broadway
Irvington on Hudson, NY 10533

Dear Mr. Reed,
Thanks for sending me a very well written letter inviting me to subscribe or contribute to the Foundation For Economic Education.  I had subscribed for a number of years, and notice that you do have a number of very accomplished writers.  You also have a number that are not conservative. Conservatives and Libertarians have much in common.  This being the case, I decided to write directly to you instead of tossing your letter.

About 30 years ago, I took an employee survey, and one question continued to bother me.  The question was, do you read authors who you disagree with.  A week or two later I went to my local book store to find out what conservatives thought.  Dad and all my uncles were union democrats.  I purchased a copy of National Review and thought it was a fluke that I agreed with over 80% of the content in the magazine.  I purchased the two following copies with the same result.  At that point, I subscribed and continue to subscribe as I continue to benefit from their well written, discussion of the issues.

I am an avid reader, and I have typically read 40 books a year over the past eight years and in 2008 set a personal record in reading 70 books.  My readings include history, economics, espionage, mathematics and politics.  I am a retired engineer and am able to understand difficult subject matter.  Last year I attended a Hillsdale College seminar on the Cold War and met several authors of books that I had previously read.

I stopped subscribing to FEE after reading an article about the environment.  I believe the title was, “What If They Are Right”.  The people promoting green issues are not following scientific method, but are following issues of faith and control.  Ignoring the sun as the primary energy driver in our local area is simply criminal.  This to buy carbon indulgences from Al Gore.  I worked at a company that had very accomplished liars.  Recognizing the people and the methods they use has saved me considerable time and energy and allowed me to meet my work and personal goals.

This month in the November 30 issue of the Washington Times covers this subject in articles and editorials.  Today I do read people and issues that I disagree with.  But since I have only so much time these issues, having been pursued are set aside along with other childish things.  Educate me on something new or an old time basic principle not what the author feels.

Are you about to write an article on the subject of Green Greed And Worship, or one on Methods Of Accomplished Liars?  Perhaps Thomas Szasz  could tackle the liars.  I think these are pressing moral, economic and philosophical pillars needing attention.  When you pursue this track and/or provide a periodical that helps me understand the issues of yesterday and today, without advocating increased government control such as green issues, I will subscribe.

Respectfully,
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:52:56 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote