Author Topic: Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity May Not Exist  (Read 426 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity May Not Exist
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:39:16 PM »

Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
Re: Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity May Not Exist
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »
The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here. Patients reported gastrointestinal distress without any apparent physical cause. Gluten wasn't the culprit; the cause was likely psychological. Participants expected the diets to make them sick, and so they did.  ... Indeed, the rise in gluten sensitivity seems predominantly driven by consumers and commercial interests, not quality scientific research.
I've long suspect that gluten intolerance was just another ailment-of-the-month, whipped by the gullibility of a non-discerning public who are quick to self-diagnose (based on the latest thing seen on Oprah, Dr. Oz or The View, apparently).
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »
I've long suspect that gluten intolerance was just another ailment-of-the-month, whipped by the gullibility of a non-discerning public who are quick to self-diagnose (based on the latest thing seen on Oprah, Dr. Oz or The View, apparently).

Yup.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
I've wondered about this.  Both of my sisters bought into this and jump through hoops to avoid gluten in their families' diets.  I have asked them, "what about all of the gluten that you had been eating for 6 decades or more??  never bothered you then??" to which they reply, "well, I'm sure that it caused all sorts of problems that we just didn't know about!"   Can't argue with that!!  lol   :shrug:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15:47 PM »
I've wondered about this.  Both of my sisters bought into this and jump through hoops to avoid gluten in their families' diets.  I have asked them, "what about all of the gluten that you had been eating for 6 decades or more??  never bothered you then??" to which they reply, "well, I'm sure that it caused all sorts of problems that we just didn't know about!"   Can't argue with that!!  lol   :shrug:

yah....it's like trying to listen to someone tell you the exact benefits of chiropractic treatments, or why they believe that childhood vaccines are dangerous while feeding their kids on raw milk......

:smokin:

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »

My sister is like that.  There's no sense even asking about it because it's like banging your head against a brick wall - and brick walls are too precious to waste that way!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
My sister is like that.  There's no sense even asking about it because it's like banging your head against a brick wall - and brick walls are too precious to waste that way!

Yes, I am amazed at how so many things have popped onto their "must not use" lists over the years, only to be replaced in a few years....   :shrug:

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
My niece has actual celiac disease, confirmed by the Mayo Clinic. If just a hint of flour dust wafts through the air and lands on her food, she gets sick and suffers a great deal of pain. That's why I'm tired of the self-diagnosed who jump on the latest bandwagon, in this case the "cut out gluten and all your imaginary ailments will be cured" bandwagon.
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »
I suffered serious intestinal distress for 10 years without knowing that the cause was wheat. By chance I went on the Atkins diet and discovered my symptoms disappeared. After going wheat-free for three years I was then able to have small amounts of wheat without reaction. That was 20 years ago and I'm good to this day as long as I don't have too much bread at one sitting.

The curious thing is, however, when I was growing up my family ate pasta and bread every day and I don't recall having symptoms until I was about 30! Think that shows that there is still much we don't understand about wheat intolerance.

Anyway I agree with others here that unless you're having cramps, diarrhea and bloating, going gluten-free is pointless.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf