Author Topic: RUSH LIMBAUGH WINS 'AUTHOR OF THE YEAR' FROM CHILDREN'S BOOK COUNCIL.....  (Read 8688 times)

Offline musiclady

If it's conservative to transform from a political commentator  (a commentator who pulls down $40 Million a year) to a product hawker/cochlear implant recipient/political commentator (in that order), then I don't recognize conservatism. 

Rush is not the political force he once was.  He's lost a third of his audience, and it's likely due to his show becoming one long infomercial.

I'm sorry, but it's absolutely absurd to say that Rush is no longer a political commentator.  Of course he's not the political force "he once was.'  He was the first.  He was a lightening bolt.  He was a single light crying out in the darkness.

Much has changed since he started (much of it BECAUSE of him), but he is still a powerful force to be reckoned with, and the best there is at what he does.

I listen when I can, and sometimes he's talking about his books and why he wrote them (his love for America), but the idea that he no longer is a bona fide political commentator because he spends some of his time on the tea (which is tasty) and these fantastic books (whose popularity has stunned him)  is just silly.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Just for the record, Rush talked about his award during his opening monologue, but has been doing political commentary since then.

He's talking about the IRS scandal now.

Just for the record.   ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
IMHO Rush Limbaugh has personally done more for the conservative movement in this country than any other man alive and made a pile of money doing it!!

Instead of envy of his success I feel nothing but gratitude!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:58:55 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

This explains MO's new hashtag.

OK.....frickin' Highlarious!!!!  how did you do that? did you find that online or did you do it yourself?   :laughingdog:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
OK.....frickin' Highlarious!!!!  how did you do that? did you find that online or did you do it yourself?   :laughingdog:

Just Photoshop but there are a lot of free tools to modify images out there

Offline Slide Rule

Capitalism is always a good thing.

Always.

Allocation of scarce resources is a difficult and persistent problem.

The Lord provided, in my view, an elegant and wise solution.

Always.

Profit encourages voluntary charity.
Voluntary

Rush is a very fine person of exemplary personal character, an award winning author
and outstanding analyzer of things political.

He also writes about our founding patriots in an educational and interesting manner.

Excellence is his middle name.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Al
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline evadR

IMHO Rush Limbaugh has personally done more for the conservative movement in this country than any other man alive and made a pile of money doing it!!

Instead of envy of his success I feel nothing but gratitude!

DITTO.

I don't know where this claim comes from that Rush never promotes himself.

OF COURSE he promotes himself, he's a talk show host. He's not paid by government handouts, he in the private sector. I have never heard him say he doesn't talk about himself....

As a great man once said, "Rush Limbaugh has personally done more for the conservative movement in this country than any other man alive and made a pile of money doing it!!"
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
DITTO.

I don't know where this claim comes from that Rush never promotes himself.

OF COURSE he promotes himself, he's a talk show host. He's not paid by government handouts, he in the private sector. I have never heard him say he doesn't talk about himself....

As a great man once said, "Rush Limbaugh has personally done more for the conservative movement in this country than any other man alive and made a pile of money doing it!!"

OK... I'll bite.

Exactly what has Limbaugh DONE for "the conservative movement in this country"?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
OK... I'll bite.

Disclaimer: I don't like the guy one bit.

Having said that - he does push conservative viewpoints into public.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Yes... what has he done exactly?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

btw... he doesn't do that.

He echoes back and substantiates the things that his listeners already believe.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I am not going to argue for the sake of arguing.

Rush Limbaugh is the most powerful media voice on the planet.   He has no competition. 

Every time they try to destroy him, he comes back twice as strong....financially as well in the abstract.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
OK... I'll bite.

He lives rent free in liberal's heads.  'Nuff said.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

Yes... what has he done exactly?

Let me answer that question with a question for you....

Why do you think that researching, discussing publicly, and promoting and educating people about conservative values isn't "doing" anything?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Rush has said that himself many times! But the fact that he has a audience that  is always in excess of 20 million at any one time makes him a pretty darned big megaphone which allows those ideas to be heard very widely. He to a medium that was on the edge of disappearing (AM broadcast radio) and turned it into a HUGE and very useful marketplace! Without him I venture to say we conservatives would still be wandering around in the wilderness!

He has, and continues to do, plenty for the conservative cause! More than any other single individual in fact!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Yep!

There cannot be a more powerful testament to what he has done than that Alice!

Thank you!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

Rush has a powerful voice and he certainly has facilitated people becoming engaged in the process.  I will be generous with my allocation, but he is 50% entertainer and 50% commentator.  I'm okay with that.  He has a place - especially if it drives some on the left batshit.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Let me answer that question with a question for you....

Why do you think that researching, discussing publicly, and promoting and educating people about conservative values isn't "doing" anything?

Rush Limbaugh went on air nationally in 1988. In 1989 Bush Sr. took office and four years later conservatives led a revolution which gave us eight years of Clinton.

Since Reagan (since Rush took to the national airwaves), what I've mostly heard from Conservatives is that the GOP is becoming the DNC-light, that GOP Presidential candidates are squishy moderates (I was around when the talk of Dubya began to emerge, and I am quite familiar with what conservatives thought of him, and I also vividly remember all the comments on his "compassionate conservatism" so save your breaths) and  how conservatives never get elected. We had that dialogue in this very forum this very week.

Since Limbaugh, I've seen a massive expansion of the government, a massive growth in the national debt, and very little movement of the country in general back to the right. In fact, what I have seen is massive movement to the left... we all complain aboutt that in this very forum.

Back when I listened to Rush, I liked him because he saved the trouble of actually thinking. He reflected my own thoughts back to me very eloquently, so I learned eloquence from Rush. There came a time when I no longer 'got" anything from Rush, so I stopped listening.

But as far as actually doing something for conservatism, I don't see it.

I'm not criticizing Rush, but asking myself what Rush had done for conservatism, I actually ended up having one of those "name Hillary's accomplishments" moments.

In a weird and bizarre twist, I would actually give more credit to Jim Robinson for the things he did for conservatism than to Rush.

Rush rode an existing medium.

Robinson created one, and there was actual activism that grew from it.

Odd, isn't it?   

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Obama, Pelosi, Reid et al likewise live rent free in ours.

Then they charge US rent for their living in our heads.

Are we going to list that as an accomplishment of theirs?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I am not going to argue for the sake of arguing.

Rush Limbaugh is the most powerful media voice on the planet.   He has no competition. 

Every time they try to destroy him, he comes back twice as strong....financially as well in the abstract.

I never argue for the sake of arguing.

I see things differently sometimes, and I like to share my thoughts with others.

I am not denying the undeniable fact that Rush has done exceedingly well for himself, and good for him!

But his doing something for conservatism is what I fail to see.

Conservatism pre-existed Rush, and has arguably been in decline during his run on air.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Tell you what...

I can tell you one distinct thing that Rush has done, but he shares that however with many others like Jim Robinson, Lucianne Goldberg and Matt Drudge.

He's connected conservatives and made them (us) feel like we're not alone.

I'll give him credit for that.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Tell you what...

I can tell you one distinct thing that Rush has done, but he shares that however with many others like Jim Robinson, Lucianne Goldberg and Matt Drudge.

He's connected conservatives and made them (us) feel like we're not alone.

I'll give him credit for that.

:beer:   I can live with that, Luis! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Other than his very artful education and entertainment of millions of people, which I consider a great accomplishment, I would say that Rush was the single person most responsible for the 1994 Republican congressional victory.  It was the first time the Republicans gained a majority in the House in 42 years.  I'd consider that quite an accomplishment for someone who held no political office.  More recently, he sold a few million children's books that promote traditional American values regarding the founding of our nation at a time when most of the literature in this arena is promoting America as racist and mommy as a lesbian.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:15:08 pm by massadvj »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Other than his very artful education and entertainment of millions of people, which I consider a great accomplishment, I would say that Rush was the single person most responsible for the 1994 Republican congressional victory.  It was the first time the Republicans gained a majority in the House in 42 years.  I'd consider that quite an accomplishment for someone who held no political office.  More recently, he sold a few million a couple of children's books that promote traditional American values regarding the founding of our nation at a time when most of the literature in this arena is promoting America as racist and mommy as a lesbian.

I guess we're going to have to disagree on the idea that 1994 was a Limbaugh victory.

He had a part in that revolution, but I don't agree that he was the epicenter of it.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I guess we're going to have to disagree on the idea that 1994 was a Limbaugh victory.

He had a part in that revolution, but I don't agree that he was the epicenter of it.

You'd be in disagreement with most of the members of the Republican caucus.  They honored Rush at the time and credited him for the victory.