Author Topic: Dems ready June student loan push  (Read 445 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems ready June student loan push
« on: May 14, 2014, 04:27:17 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/206098-senate-dems-prepare-june-vote-on-student-loan-relief

Dems ready June student loan push

By Peter Schroeder - 05/14/14 12:02 PM EDT

Senate Democrats are preparing a June offensive on student loans meant to bolster the party's 2014 election message.

Democrats will push for a vote on legislation to allow people to refinance student loan debt at a lower rate.

“Does Congress work for the rich and the powerful, for those that can hire armies of lobbyists and lawyers?” asked Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who is leading the effort for Democrats. “Or does Congress work for the rest of America?”

The effort is part of of a broader messaging battle meant to portray Republicans as out of touch with the middle class. It goes part-and-parcel with the Democratic push to raise the minimum wage.

It also comes as Democrats seek ways to bolster turnout among their core supporters for the midterm election, when an older and whiter electorate generally show up to vote.

The new bill would allow borrowers to refinance their existing loans at at the rate of 3.86 percent. That's the current rate for new loans under legislation Congress passed last year.

The bill would cover the costs of those refinancings by enacting the “Buffett Rule,” a long Democratic policy prescription that would ensure the wealthy pay some minimum amount of tax.

The push to increase taxes on the wealthy has long been a non-starter with Republicans, but Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Democrats were willing to deal on the offset.

“We’re open. We welcome suggestions on how they would pay for it,” he said.

Schumer, the Senate’s No. 3 Democrat, said the plan was to bring the bill to the floor for a vote in early June.

Democrats say they expect Republicans to eventually sign on to the bill, arguing it gives existing borrowers the chance to refinance at the same rate Congress agreed to give new borrowers when it last enacted student loan legislation.

“The numbers in this bill are exactly the same numbers that almost every Republican in the House and the Senate…voted for last summer,” said Warren.

In fact, it was liberal Democrats like Warren that balked at the earlier student loan deal. They argued it set rates too high and tied the interest rate to movement in financial markets.

Lawmakers still do not know how much the refinancing plan would actually cost, but they say they will adjust the terms of the Buffett Rule to fully cover the expenses of letting people refinance down to lower rates.

They also argued that letting borrowers refinance at lower rates would be good for the overall economy. For example, freeing up funds that would have gone to pay higher interest could enable younger people to save money to buy a house or a car.

A study from the New York Fed released Tuesday found that 25-year-olds have an average of $21,000 in student loan debt. And young Americans with student loan debt are taking on mortgages at the lowest rate in a decade, and lag behind their peers who do not have college loans.

Schumer said student loan debt, which has grown in recent years to over $1 trillion and is now the largest type of consumer debt, is “one of the major reasons our housing market is down in the dumps.”

“The whole economy has been weighted down by the huge debt burden on 40 million Americans aged 22 to 42 or so,” he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
Re: Dems ready June student loan push
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:34:28 pm »
This is yet another area of American life that the government shouldn't have touched.  Any time an entity with lots of money gets involved in the purchase something, whether it be medical care, housing, or education, the cost goes through the roof.  Government gets involved in the financing of education, the price goes up, and government wants to get involved even more because the price is higher. 

I'm reminded of Thomas Sowell's quote about replacing government programs:  "No matter how disastrously some policy has turned out, anyone who criticizes it can expect to hear: 'But what would you replace it with?' When you put out a fire, what do you replace it with?"
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline speekinout

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:16:28 am »
We have to stop subsidizing these "college educations". They're propaganda courses. The graduates all too often are brainwashed progressives with no useful skills. I would happily subsidize engineers, doctors and the like, but paying for someone to spend 4 - 6 years immersed in feminist studies or white privilege discussions is a waste of our money and their time. They could go straight to work at Starbucks after high school and be better off.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:21:05 am »
This is yet another area of American life that the government shouldn't have touched.  Any time an entity with lots of money gets involved in the purchase something, whether it be medical care, housing, or education, the cost goes through the roof.  Government gets involved in the financing of education, the price goes up, and government wants to get involved even more because the price is higher. 

I'm reminded of Thomas Sowell's quote about replacing government programs:  "No matter how disastrously some policy has turned out, anyone who criticizes it can expect to hear: 'But what would you replace it with?' When you put out a fire, what do you replace it with?"

There was a proposal last week that in short would cancel all existing student loans (about $1 trillion worth of debt) and pay for it over five years by completely cutting out all existing higher education subsidies completely....and yes, the government hands out that much money to higher education every year. 

Interesting idea....

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 02:05:40 pm »
There was a proposal last week that in short would cancel all existing student loans (about $1 trillion worth of debt) and pay for it over five years by completely cutting out all existing higher education subsidies completely....and yes, the government hands out that much money to higher education every year. 

Interesting idea....

I can't say this is necessarily a bad idea.  Unfortunately, I'm sure that if the idea gained steam, a good proposal would quickly turn bad after the politicians finished tweaking it for their own benefit.

I've said for years that I'd be willing to forego some of the things promised me by government -- Social Security, in particular -- if they'd stop taking it from my paycheck.  I'm willing to take the risks associated with preparing for retirement if they quit taking my money.  As it stands, they'll continue to squander my money and end up breaking their promise anyway.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".