Author Topic: The Most Commonly Spoken Language in Each State Besides English and Spanish  (Read 997 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://mentalfloss.com/article/56714/most-commonly-spoken-language-each-state-besides-english-and-spanish

The Most Commonly Spoken Language in Each State Besides English and Spanish

Jason English

Today's map comes from Ben Blatt of Slate, who used data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. He created several other language maps, too, including each state's top Native American, Scandinavian, and African language.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Lando Lincoln

Fascinating.  Thank you for posting.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'm surprised Pennsylvania wasn't German. They're one of the few places where it was naturally cultivated, much like French was in Louisiana. Of course, Philly might drown that out.

I'm also surprised how much German is spread across the Plains... but in many places that may just be because English is SO dominant, and Spanish the next (and distant) runner up, that it's almost impossible to get any significant measurement for third.

Polish in Illinois surprises me, if only because most Polish Americans so rapidly segued into English that it's mostly a novelty. I'd've thought having Chicago would've produced something else.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

French in W.Va.? The only French my fellow mountaineers know is French fries. C'est domage!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

I'm surprised Pennsylvania wasn't German.

Except for what you remember from high school German class, I think the vast majority of Americans with German ancestry, including myself have a very small German vocabulary and many don't speak or understand the language at all,  except for important stuff like what German beer and  sausage you want to serve for Oktoberfest.   Unlike many Americans with a foreign language origin It took only a generation or two for most German Americans to leave their language and even accent behind. We support todays immigrants continued use of their  native tongue  its a wonder  how any would give it up.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Oceander

very interesting

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Hmmmm!  I would have guessed it was the one being spoken in the picture below!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:14:51 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Except for what you remember from high school German class, I think the vast majority of Americans with German ancestry, including myself have a very small German vocabulary and many don't speak or understand the language at all,  except for important stuff like what German beer and  sausage you want to serve for Oktoberfest.   Unlike many Americans with a foreign language origin It took only a generation or two for most German Americans to leave their language and even accent behind. We support todays immigrants continued use of their  native tongue  its a wonder  how any would give it up.

The Wars perhaps? You didn't want to be identifiable as a German while the entire country was fighting them - that would be a fair incentive to use only English.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

The Wars perhaps? You didn't want to be identifiable as a German while the entire country was fighting them - that would be a fair incentive to use only English.

No I'm going back much farther, and we were refering to the the Pennsylvania Dutch (Or correctly Pennsylvania Deutsch meaning German-speaking).    Many of these immigrants came here in the early and mid 1700s.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn